iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boards come out thinner on the ends

Started by Matthew C, May 28, 2016, 11:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew C

Hello, everyone.  I am new at milling and new at using the forum.  I live in Guatemala and I bought a home made band saw mill and put a VW engine on it.  My boards are coming out thinner at both ends, and thicker in the middle. What can be causing that and how can I fix it?  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.  Matt C.

Ron Wenrich

Could be log stress.  How often do you turn your log?  What type of logs?  Does it do it in every cut?   Does it vary under different feed rates?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Cedar Eater

Do you start in slow, speed up through the middle and then slow down before exiting the log? The increased pressure from the higher speed can make the blade dive down.
Cedar Eater

Matthew C

After posting this I went to "extras" and then to "removing stress in a cant."  I see that the problem might be the wood and the operator and probably not the machinery itself. That is good news.  Cedar Eater I will also keep an eye on my speed when cutting to see if that is it.  Ron Wenrich, I have to check, but it seemed to be happening frequently.  There are varieties of trees here that dont grow up north and the names seem to vary from country to country.  I was just cutting some "Volador" and "Cola Iguana". I have no idea if they have other names up north.  Any suggestions as to how to minimize the stress problem?  Thanks a lot.  This is the steep part of the learning curve for me.  Matt

Ianab

After you check the mill itself for straightness, get down and look along the log as you are sawing it.  If the wood contains tension wood, as you saw off one side the remaining wood will pull the cant up into an arch. Then of course you cut a straight line through that, and the board is thicker in the middle, and the cant bows up a little more.

What can you do?  Keep flipping the cant so you take a couple of boards off each side, minimising the way it's arching up.

Or, consider quarter sawing the log so you take vertical grain boards. This is how a lot of high tension woods are best handled. The individual boards may tend to bow a little, but that can be edged out later once the boards are dry.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Matthew C.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Matthew C.  Regarding the sawmill, you can stretch a string from end to end to verify that it is not bowed.  After that, immediately rotate your cant when you see either end lift up from the sawmill bed while sawing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ox

I would start with the basics.  After all, we can't have a straight house with a crooked foundation, right?  Be sure that your mill's frame is straight, level and plumb all the way around first.  Then you can rule this out.  If your mill is sagging in the middle it would cause this as well.  Then follow what the other guys were saying, they're smart.  When I first set up I had to make some adjustments because the weight of the mill and vibration would cause it to settle a bit.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Ga Mtn Man

...and make sure your track isn't sagging as you move the carriage from one end to the other.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

highleadtimber16

Sounds like, possibly each end of the mill isn't being probably supported. Check your jacks/legs. I've had this problem with my mill when the ground softens up and the end settles.
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

Jim_Rogers

Some logs or stress full logs have to be cut one board on one face at a time, then rotate 180° and cut one board. Cutting too deep can cause bending.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

GAB

Matthew C; as others have said welcome to the forum.
I do not disagree with any of what the others have said, but I wish to add the following.
For example: If the log is 20' long and the bedrails do not support 6" at each end then as you saw the ends will droop and as they do your board ends will get thinner ends and the last board will have very thick ends.
Also, I have had some logs that once you remove a slab on the opening face then it causes the log to bow such that when you rotate 180* it only touches the 2 center bed rails, but as you saw it it goes down towards the end bed rails.  This will also get you thinner end(s) than the middle.
I hope you can find the root cause and solve your problem.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

If successive pieces have thin ends, then we suspect tension or seers in the log...growth stress.  Frequent turning 180 degrees is advised to keep stresses balanced.  If one piece is thin, but the next piece is OK or a bit thick, then we suspect dry ends and saw tension
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

tnaz

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on May 30, 2016, 03:08:03 PM
If successive pieces have thin ends, then we suspect tension or seers in the log...growth stress.  Frequent turning 180 degrees is advised to keep stresses balanced.  If one piece is thin, but the next piece is OK or a bit thick, then we suspect dry ends and saw tension
Is there a book with this info, or is this learned.

So much Great info.

Terry

Thank You Sponsors!