iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Destination

Started by Stephen Alford, January 18, 2011, 08:18:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Alford

Maybe its just me but I am finding it odd where I end up at days end. Started out looking for a noise in the tractor. removed the belly pans. Good news just  a drive shaft rub from a stump dint. So cleaned things up and straightened out the pan.

Decided good time to put that blade on the front. So dug around in the snow and found ol bumper and some arms off something.

Modify and weld that up.

Tried using winch but soon went to hydraulic piston.

Ta Da  :)

Sure looking forward to taking that special someone to the shore again.  ;D

logon

jim king

I got cold fingers looking at the photos.   :D

Magicman

Looks like your day ended well, if only in your mind.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Stephen Alford

The day I ended up with a log trailer for the tractor started out as a tow job.   :-\

logon

Ironwood

You just gave an idea for my trailer axle needs.
:D :D
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Stephen Alford

Truck upgrade  ;D
  old truck

new to me truck with body done up

bumper plate

mount hydraulic pack

subframe

mount piston

flat bottom

removable sides

load off

logon

Magicman

Nice job.  I just wish I had your old one.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ironwood

I recognize that truck, 

My buddy put a "hook" on his one ton. Those are nice.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

captain_crunch

Nice trailer I got same plan on drawing board except with dump box. Proably don't mater behind tractor but feller told me to pop axles and either cut cap off axle or make new caps so rearend gears no longer turn. And over fill pumpkin so gear oil still gets to bearings at wheels
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

sandhills

Doesn't hurt to take the brakes out if they're hydraulic and not going to be used, can save a few headaches down the road when things get corroded up and hard to work on.  Very nice trailer though, how long is the bunk?

Stephen Alford

Jim you have had a tough run yourself this fall so glad to read that your all doing so much better.  :)
  MM if ever there was a truck that needed a lot of magic this ol Doll is the one. Your welcome to her.  When you leave with the truck and get to the Borden scales just before the bridge to the mainland be ready to yell   " TRAMP HER"   ;D
  Ironwood the fact you would recognize this truck is not surprising as you seem to have that amazing ability to cover your word like "the dew" .
   CC I have had the notion to mount a hydraulic motor on the rearend, any thoughts?
   Sandhills you are totally correct about the breaking ,got to watch load size, there is no shoving the clutch with big load and steep hill.
  I do not look at Tractor/skidder as either /or  they both have their place . The big difference for me ,bearing in mind I work alone, is cash flow. Tractor jobs are by the hour and paid at the end of the day. It also allows me to get wood to the road and sold most days. The cab enables you to work when your exhausted, safehaven when hurt, rollin down the main road possible. The skidder has the clearance and comehither, but pay periods are farther apart.

logon

bushmechanic

Hey Mr. Alford does your wife know about that special someone at the shore?

Stephen Alford

Hey Mr. Bushmechanic , I am sure you know how it is when you have been in the bush all week eatin roughgrub and drinkin skidder water a bye can't tell if he is on the inside of the fence looking out or on the outside of the fence looking in.   ;D

logon

Stephen Alford

Well spring has finally arrived on our wee island. Been cleaning up a building lot with the grapple. Happy Easter   :)

logon

beenthere

Stephen
Are the logs for firewood or sawlogs?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Like that Blue, I can see it's a 5610,I think,but how many hp is that? How long you had it?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

treefarmer87

nice equipment stephen :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Stephen Alford

Hey Beenthere, everything pretty much goes as firewood.  The question I get most is "When was the firewood cut ? " my response is " What time is it now? "   ;D
   Ahh cfarm I see you are no stranger to the "Blue" . We meet in 1990, it was "love at first throttle". The grapple is a model 6011 put together in 91. She is 65 hp with the British ford engine. Huge tax break on purchase being over 60 hp.
   Thanks TF .
logon

Stephen Alford

Ended up at the new firewood pile yesterday. As far as I know there is very little manual felling done on the Island anymore.  Pretty much replaced with processors. They peaked around 20 machines about 8 years ago. Coffee shop guess has it at about 6 machines still around. Just thought a couple pictures would be interesting. Before,loading,sorting ,ready for second limbing.   ;D

logon

sprucebunny

Is that mostly red maple ?

Thanks for the great pictures  :)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

bushmechanic

No trouble to tell that's processer wood,all different lengths.Wonder why with all the "super smart engineers",how come nobody has come up with a processer to do hardwood and do a good job of it?Stephen do you do any farming or are you just into logging?

Stephen Alford

Yes Sprucebunny you are correct, red maple it is and more of it than you would like to see some days.   :'(

I hear what you are saying bushmechanic and from some of the bolts I have seen it was a pretty fair fight especially with yellow birch.  :D   Contractors running processors who have tried to make a go of it by cutting hardwood firewood must truly  wish they were back in the old field white spruce. No farming for me, but from what I have seen forestry and farming are alot alike, both can be done till ya go broke, and both are more of a bad habit than a career.    :D
  Every now and then you get to haul a few nice logs.

logon

Thank You Sponsors!