iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brutus

Started by reride82, November 09, 2012, 11:48:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reride82

Since when did they start naming winter storms? I mean, its a pretty good storm but this is a little dramatic.  ::) By the end of next week I would imagine alot of it will be melted off. Does anyone else think this is a little absurd?  :)
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

clww

I agree. I think it's ridiculous. I call it "Weather".
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Jeff

I guess I see nothing wrong with it. There are memorable winter storms up here, and the only thing we have to remember them by when we are referring to them, is by the year, say, "That storm we had in the winter of 95".  Not sure if I have the year right, and it doesn't really point at a given storm.  If you give a memorable storm, a memorable name, then it is easier, at least for me, to remember the details years from now.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

reride82

Hmmm, I guess I could go with that Jeff. But, I have a hard enough time remembering names as it is. Now I'll get to forget names of storms now too  :D
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

chevytaHOE5674

If we named all our snow storms there would be so many named storms in a year that it would be impossible to remember them all.  :D

Can't remember the last time "we" were mentioned on the national news for a snow storm.

Jeff

I'd certainly not agree with naming every storm. We all know when a storm is something out of our ordinary when we experience it. Those sort of storms are what I could understand being named.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Leigh Family Farm

To me its fine to name hurricanes and tropical storms, but naming winter snowstorms I think is a little much. Jeff, '95 was the year of a huge blizzard which dropped 4 ft. of snow in Philadelphia. I like retelling stories by saying "in the winter of '93, we had a huge ice storm...". It makes the story more grandiose than "Storm Brutus came in '12".
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Thank You Sponsors!