iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl ms500i

Started by Bthomasb3, March 20, 2019, 07:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bthomasb3

Has anyone else heard about the new stihl ms500i that has fuel injection.I was at the saw shop and he was telling me about it .He said he wont be able to get one till this fall maybe.  I looked it up 6.8 hp at 13.6 lbs .1.1 hp/weight. I think i need one. I might give him money and preorder it.😀😀

teakwood

They are not for sale yet. i think Europe will start spring 2019 so they will hit the american market maybe end of 2019, the earliest. just a guess 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

realzed

Presently widely advertised in the new Canadian 2019 Stihl catalog along with pictures and specs.. 
Obviously that doesn't say when or where they will be available - but it does tell you that it can't (at least here in Mid-Canada) be all that far off.
I would imagine that there won't be a lot of them initially and probably somewhat logically because of a limited demand due to the cost and a relatively small number who would in fact want one, but that all said..
I intend - not because I would buy or even want one, to ask the next time I visit the same local dealership that was very early in getting the 462 models in - compared to what I heard of other areas of he country, about what they consider that timeline to be.
If for nothing else I just would like to in fact see one live and 'in person' and see just how big and/or light it really is, side by side the other relative models!

Greenerpastures

It hope this saw is a success, nice to see the new tech coming along, 
though am an old tech guy, by the time this new stuff is tested and working
reliably, the EPA will have no doubt found a reason to ban the old carb saws,
then I might bite.
But you never know, its going to be a battle between the MT now and the Fuel
injector, and the carburettor version will probably be gone sooner than one thinks.

Bthomasb3

Yea my dealer said it will be late fall 2019 at best before he could get one but im going to do the lawaway(lol) thing and stop off money once in a while till he gets one in that way i get the first one he gets .Hopefully . I have been reading a binch on the ms500i. I dont really need one but oh well😀im going to get one.

HolmenTree

MS500i expected release this year in North America is as early as June 2019 in Canada. USA shortly after.

Great videos here.
First shows how fast this saws throttle response is with this long bar/chain. Imagine how much quicker with a 20" b/c.

With no choke and with a press on the primer bulb it starts from cold on one pull of the starter rope.
Very impressive cutting ability for a 13.7 lb. (6.2 kg) 80cc saw.

500i_02 - YouTube

500i_01 - YouTube
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

sablatnic

I had one in my hands yesterday, but as I wasn't a potential costumer I could not start it. I was however allowed to inspect it the same way as in your second video. 
And I was told that it was eight pump on the primer before start.
But no starting and cutting!  :'-(

HolmenTree

sablatnic, yes it looks like the operator in the video pushed the primer about 8 times too.
Still easier and faster then pulling the starter rope 3 or 4 times.

btulloh

Impressive.

Any idea when it's going to be available? 

HM126

barbender

btulloh, your response reminds me of the questions I get when I post stuff for sale on FB with all the details in the ad😁
Too many irons in the fire

teakwood

X2 on that. I hate that.

I posted some teak 2x6's in FB with all the information about the prices and the first 20 questions were:  Price?

btulloh

Quote from: barbender on April 10, 2019, 05:40:15 PM
btulloh, your response reminds me of the questions I get when I post stuff for sale on FB with all the details in the ad😁
Ouch.  Looking back through the post, I see that I really deserved that beating.  I am truly ashamed to be a member of that group.  I will seek therapy.
HM126

barbender

Oh c'mon man don't take I that hard, I'm just having a little fun with you!😊😊😊
Too many irons in the fire

btulloh

No worries.  I take it as an act of kindness.  Only a good friend would point that out.   :D :D
HM126

olcowhand

Yeah; with friends like us, who needs enemas enemies?
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

ehp

as soon as it hits Canada I will have 1 or 2 if the first one works great

outinthewood

They are now in stock in UK and here, UK discount price around 1000 euro plus tax and here 1250 euro plus 23% tax so more than a 661. The videos I've seen were some Spanish ones which I have to say did not fill me full of wonder ! but I'm sure that was down to the operator so will be interesting to see what it is like in the "real" world of work ? The one video on Skogsforum was far better but it seems to be a saw that needs to be handled as opposed to just cut ? just a different way of power delivery I suppose.

teakwood

Quote from: outinthewood on April 13, 2019, 10:13:13 AMThey are now in stock in UK and here, UK discount price around 1000 euro plus tax and here 1250 euro plus 23% tax

Where is here?

HolmenTree

Quote from: teakwood on April 14, 2019, 07:45:54 AM
Quote from: outinthewood on April 13, 2019, 10:13:13 AMThey are now in stock in UK and here, UK discount price around 1000 euro plus tax and here 1250 euro plus 23% tax

Where is here?
outinthewood is in Ireland. 

outinthewood

Thank you Mr H, I forgot that not everyone's crystal balls are working and forgot to add the important bit !!

teakwood

You could fill out your profile info, so we never have to guess.

FloridaMike

Has anyone in Europe or elsewhere, taken delivery of a 500i?  If so, tells us about it's "real world" performance?
Mike

FloridaMike

So now the MS 500i is Popular Mechanic's chainsaw of the year and we aren't even close to being able to buy one!

Mike

BobbyG

From what I've read, in the US the MS-500i tip the price scale at around $1,700.... ::)

ehp

I do not think so but I could be wrong, price should be close to whatever you pay for a 661 stihl.

Thank You Sponsors!