iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl ms500i

Started by Bthomasb3, March 20, 2019, 07:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

Our local dealer just finally got Stihl 462's in, $1129. They also got Husky 572's, those were somewhere around $950.
Too many irons in the fire

doc henderson

My dealer expects them mid to late summer and will call me when they arrive!!!  but I prob. do not need one.  I will ask my wife what she thinks... not. :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

ehp

Not sure why you guys south of me pay so much for your 462s , I pay less for a 462 than if I bought a 572 . They are saying in a month or 2 we will see the 500i but Im not holding my breath cause they never gave me a date it gets here like june 28th or something like that

ehp

Got my wife trained pretty good , when she looks out in the shop and all she sees are saws everywhere or when I bring another gun safe in cause the rest are full to pretend she never saw a thing ;D , Im sure she knows every saw or gun in the house by name and what there worth 8) 

HolmenTree

Interesting video from the guys out of Sweden.  They ran the MS500i for 3 months with no maintenance other then filing the chain.
The filter was plugged but they claim the saw liked it and still ran great and didn't burn any more gas then when clean.
Stihl MS 500i - Long-Term Test Of Performance In Hard Conditions - YouTube
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Caloren

I don't NEED one of these, but I sure would like to 'drive' one for awhile! 8)
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

HolmenTree

I think the 3 month with no maintenance including not cleaning the airfilter is flawed.
End result they show sawdust inside the intake but I think they probably periodically removed the filter to check inside allowing sawdust to fall inside.
The dust I saw looked coarse not the fine sludge that normally gets inside through a poor base seal.
And if there was any sludge inside that would come from a poor base seal as a result of taking the dirty filter on and off during those 3 months.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Caloren on June 04, 2019, 11:25:06 PM
I don't NEED one of these, but I sure would like to 'drive' one for awhile! 8)
You got that right, I want to try one too. Power of a 90cc and the weight of a 60cc.
Latest I heard from Stihl Canada not available here until this fall.

ehp

Holmen, I have cut months with the 462's and I have yet to clean a air filter their that good, I clean my 461 air filter everyday

HolmenTree

Quote from: ehp on June 05, 2019, 12:17:57 PM
Holmen, I have cut months with the 462's and I have yet to clean a air filter their that good, I clean my 461 air filter everyday
Ed, my MS261 is similar,  I just blow out the air box and a bit off the filter. But I'm not logging just a few trees on average each day.
I don't remember cleaning my 395XP filter much either it and the 372 were good for a long time.

ehp

Put I guess I also should say I cut some softwood but mostly hardwood and my chains are real sharp, those 2 things make a difference .

630red

we have the 500i for sale for a few months, any saw men we show it to will wait to see if any problems in the first year are sorted at 1275 euro you don,t just dive in they say

nativewolf

Quote from: ehp on June 05, 2019, 12:17:57 PM
bad fuel though will kill them... :(.  Found the source of our bad fuel but it had already ruined the diaphragm.  Trouble with working 100 miles from home, but we sure found a gas station with bad fuel.  
Liking Walnut

snowstorm

i was in germany last week. and didnt see a stihl dealer anywhere i went. could i have brought a new 500i home?

teakwood

I don't know if they are for sale yet in Germany, but if of course you can put one in you baggage. actually, the first one of you guys who comes visiting me in beautiful Costa Rica will have to bring me a MS 462.  
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: 630red on June 06, 2019, 07:44:49 PM
 any saw men we show it to will wait to see if any problems in the first year are sorted
That's my thinking. I wouldn't buy the first model year of any mechanical device.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

ehp

I bought the first 462 and 2 and 3rd saw and have had zero problems so far

630red

are you gonna buy the 500i then?

ehp

I asked for the first 500i I can get my hands on and stihl Canada knows that

teakwood

Stihl doesn't make a new saw and put it on the market by the thousands. before hitting the market they are tested a good amount of time by pros in different environments   
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

630red

well stihl must be different , then alot of car companys because they let the consumer iron out the faults, trying to get it to the market first

realzed

The same fuel injection setup has been marketed and tested extensively in Stihl's line of cut-off construction equipment for a few years now and that has to be the harshest environment for equipment to be used in - considering all of the dust and misuse one could imagine..

Mark with a K

Any news on this front?  I don't like to spend money just to spend it, but I'll be in the market for a new large saw come Spring and I might have to bite on this one.

doc henderson

reported to be coming in the fall.  I just bought 3 farm boss ms 271s.  got a great deal so got one for a friend, and my brother, and my son.  all for around the house/firewood saws.  no matter what, stihl stands behind their stuff, IMO.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Cruiser_79

Was at the dealer yesterday and they had a MS500i in the showroom. Looks quite good, and it seriously weights less than my 660. Feels more like a 361 or something like that!

Thank You Sponsors!