iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What do I have, found in Barn

Started by jswec, December 03, 2019, 09:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jswec

Hi All, We purchased a new property and need to take down a old Barn that is getting bad. Found about 20 boards in the Hay loft in a corner. Barn was built around 1900. I think these boards may be Mulberry but no expert so any help would be greatly appreciated. We live in the Missouri Ozarks.

Woodpecker52

Looks like the first cut and unsold live edge boards ever made.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Southside

Welcome to the Forum.   My first thought was BACON!!!  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

firefighter ontheside

Eastern red cedar.
I made my first trip to Stockton a few months ago.  I had never fished in Lake Stockton before, but I definitely will again.  We caught lots of great smallmouth bass and even a walleye.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

51cub

Quote from: Southside on December 03, 2019, 10:55:36 PM
Welcome to the Forum.   My first thought was BACON!!!  :D
I like the way you think!
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

WDH

FF is exactly right.  Eastern red cedar.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Weekend_Sawyer

Not that Danny needs any backup, but ERC was my first guess too.

hmmm, now I want some bacon.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

jswec

Thank you all, Looks like Cedar is the winner. Have cut a lot of Cedar but this looked different, I guess because so old. Rest of the Barn looks like Oak and Chestnut and some Walnut. Going to try to save what I can. 
You are right, the Fishing is why we purchased the Property to retire and start fishing. Will probably have more questions in the future as there is also a old store to come down built in 1860. It may be more than I can handle, we will see.

Thank you all for the Help and have a great Christmas and New year.

kantuckid

If it smells like cedar then it is cedar. Based on the picture , it could be apple wood or pear as fruit wood has dark hearts and white sap wood and varied colors at times-but it's hard and doesn't smell like cedar.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!