iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

unknown oak in graveyard - (SOLVED: scarlet oak)

Started by Lanier_Lurker, June 10, 2007, 09:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanier_Lurker

I've been driving by this old graveyard for a couple of years (going to and from the cleaners for the wife.....), and this large oak always catches my eye.

Yesterday I decided to stop and take a closer look.  Unfortunately, I did not have my camera with me.  But, I gathered acorns as well as new and old leaves.

Interestingly enough, there is an old tombstone under the crown of this tree for a CSA sargent.  I may have to visit again and see what else I find among the markers.

There is some variation in the cup coverage on these acorns.

SwampDonkey

I would submit black oak Q. veluntina and if you see concentric rings on the acorn tips, I'd say scarlet oak Q. coccinea. Might even be a hybrid of the two.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Texas Ranger

My first thought was scarlet oak, but I have been doing pine so long that I only recognize four tree species anymore. ::)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Lanier_Lurker

I forgot to mention that there were still leaves from last year attached to the lower limbs I was able to reach.  That would point to scarlet oak from what I have read.

Also, I seem to remember WDH pointing out that very long leaf petioles are a characteristic of scarlet oak.  The length of the petiole on the brown leaf below is well over 2 inches.

The acorns are so faded and weather worn that I cannot really make out any rings.

I was leaning towards scarlet oak, mainly because of the overall leaf shape (which seem to be classic scarlet).  The green leaves pictured are from a lower limb, so I guess they would be considered shade leaves.

This is a very nice large tree.  I'm going to try and get a circumference measurement.

Thanks for the input.   :)

WDH

LL,

It is scarlet oak.  The sinuses are more than halfway to the midrib.  Take a pic anyway.  There should be some silver streaking on the bole.  The acorns do not always show the concentric rings.  If you look at enough of them, you will see it in some.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lanier_Lurker

Mama sent me to the grocery store to get some milk, so I grabbed the camera and tape measure as I headed out the door - being as how the grocery store is next door to the cleaners.  :)

The cbh is 9' 8".  A solid 3ft tree.

The pictures of the upper limbs definitely look like scarlet oak.

There is also a sizable nursery of offspring from this tree in the adjacent woods.

Thanks for the help guys.

WDH

Nice pics, LL.  We could add those to the Identifying Scarlet Oak Thread.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

I thought may be it was a ghost oak :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

Lanier_Lurker

Some long lost kin of a post oak perhaps?   smiley_alcoholic_01 smiley_alcoholic_01  (It is poker night tonight - getting an early start on the silliness)

Thank You Sponsors!