iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Differences between scarlet and northern red oak acorns

Started by Lanier_Lurker, October 19, 2007, 11:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanier_Lurker

<This topic is being transferred from the Crash forum>

The Forestry Forum CRASH OF 2007 ARCHIVES
General Forestry => Tree and Plant I.D. => Topic started by: Lanier_Lurker on October 12, 2007, 05:18:04 PM

Title: Differences between scarlet and northern red oak acorns
Post by: Lanier_Lurker on October 12, 2007, 05:18:04 PM
Are there any distinct differences between the acorns of scarlet oak and northern red oak - or are the differences subtle such that it takes a practiced eye to tell them apart?  :-\ :-\

Title: Re: Differences between scarlet and northern red oak acorns
Post by: WDH on October 13, 2007, 01:15:48 AM
They are different as night and day :).  Scarlet has an acorn cup that encloses half the nut.  It is bowl shaped and fringed.  Northern Red, on the other hand, has a little saucer-shaped cup that barely clasps the nut.  Also, some (not all) scarlet acorns have several concentric rings around the tip of the nut.  I will try to get a pic for you.

Powered by SMF 1.1.3 | SMF © 2006-2007, Simple Machines LLC

</This topic is being transferred from the Crash forum>

I took a walk today around the dried up lake bed of Lake Lanier.  I came across these acorns and I think they may be from a scarlet oak - since there was a tree that looked an awful lot like like a scarlet oak with a crown that overhung the spot where I gathered these acorns.  Here is a picture.  These seem to have the characteristics that WDH describes: encloses half the nut, bowl shaped, and fringed.

thecfarm

There is a big difffence in the red oak acorns that I have here in Maine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brian Beauchamp

I thought this was scarlet vs pin oak initially...but the 'pin' was actually shumard...in my opinion anyway ;)

SwampDonkey

Not northern red anyway. I would rule out black oak and mossy cup oak, and go with scarlet. Shumard has a shallow cup compared to this pic. I thought WDH already ID'ed it, but everyone is welcome to give their input of course. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Brian Beauchamp

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 20, 2007, 03:38:36 PM
Not northern red anyway. I would rule out black oak and mossy cup oak, and go with scarlet. Shumard has a shallow cup compared to this pic. I thought WDH already ID'ed it, but everyone is welcome to give their input of course. ;)

Those aren't the same pics!  :)

SwampDonkey

Ah, must have been that other thread in the Archive. Seem to remember something. We've been talking oak for so long it's easy to get the wiring crossed.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Brian is right.  The other acorn pic we discussed came from downtown Atlanta.  A pin oak or a shumard, but definitely not a scarlet.  Those acorns had the saucer-shaped cup that covered only a small portion of the base of the nut.

The acorns in the pic in this thread look like scarlet for sure.  LL, did you notice any concentric rings around the tip of any of these acorns?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brian Beauchamp

Brian Beauchamp

This is my example of Pin Oak acorns:

...and of Shumard Oak:

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lanier_Lurker

The pin/shumard/scarlet question was in a different thread.  I still owe some pictures to the group on that thread.  I'll transfer that thread over like I did this one.

WDH, I have checked for the concentric rings around the tips and they are there.  I'm feeling pretty confident that these are scarlet oak acorns.  They are definitely distinctly different from northern red oak acorns.  :)

WDH

With the concentric rings, it is a dead lock that they are scarlet oak.

Thank You Sponsors!