iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

I ate one of the fruits but it was not quite ripe.  Even ripe, I am not a big fan but years ago my grandmother used to make some tasty jelly from the fruit off of hers.

The leaves are about 4-5" long.
Caveman

ESFted

Quince..Cydonia oblonga
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

caveman

Caveman

WDH

Don't believe that I have ever seen this one. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Woodpecker52

Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

caveman

Definitely not a Pomelo.  A Pomelo is a citrus fruit that is often the size of a volley ball.  It has a thick rind like a grapefruit.  

Tule Peak hit the nail on the head with guava, (Psidium guajava).  I am out of trees for a while.  I will be heading to Indy later in the month.  Hopefully I will come across some that have not been featured in the tree of the day thread.

Those of you on the west coast or northeast are welcome to keep the ball rolling (there are several spruce, firs, oaks, and others that are feeling left out).
Caveman

Ianab

Totally different to what we call a guava here in NZ. 

But it also explains why the imported tinned ones are nothing like the local bush, completely different species. 

This is what we call a guava
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psidium_cattleyanum

Fruit are similar, but only about the size of a cherry. After about 10 years I've got my tree up above the frost line that used to knock it back every year. 

Healthy plant 18" tall.  Good frost and it died back to ground level. Tried again next year, same result. But it's now 6ft tall, looking good and fruiting.

It's actually a new favourite food for the native pigeons, which are quite common in urban gardens now. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

caveman

Ian, we have those also but we call them cattley guavas.  My folks have one at their place on Anna Maria Island.  It is a prolific fruit producing bush.  I don't particularly care for them but my Daddy would eat them by the handful.  I assume it is still growing, we have not been down there since August 2018.

Even though Anna Maria Island is only about 50 miles as the crow flies from our home, there are a lot of trees/plants that grow there that won't survive here.  Eventually I'll get back down there and will have some Florida Mahogany and other trees to add to the is thread.
Caveman

Woodpecker52

Thought I would throw this tree out for ID of the day.

Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

tule peak timber

caveman

Looks like Sassafras (Sassafras albidum).  It was on my list to add but I won't be near one for a few more weeks.  Thank you for adding a tree of the day today.
Caveman

caveman

While looking to see if we already used the species this wood came from I realized that we had sassafras on May 20.

What tree is this live edged slab/mantle from?  Hint: It is not live oak, sassafras, maple or longleaf pine.

Caveman

tule peak timber

Well ,,, the last time I looked at a Sassafras was early 1960'something in Indiana . I am probably wrong ?  :D

Woodpecker52

It is a Sassy, Just threw it in, thought most would get it. Wood has a neat bronze look.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

Rob, you nailed the sassafras I.D. but I just added a picture of the freshly sawn slab from another previous tree of the day and suggested a few species that it is not.

WDH,Not poplar but it is a soft hardwood that is very white.
Caveman

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ljohnsaw

OK, on to the next tree of the day, this one from the west coast.  I thought I only had two "pine" trees on my cabin property but I was wrong.  I have three but Ponderosa has already been listed somewhere above.

I've been clearing dead, dying and malformed trees and came across two different ones.  Here is the first.  This is actually a little baby one but same as the adults except for the bark.  When mature, the barks tends to get scaly.

I forgot to check the needles for roughness top/bottom but I'm pretty sure they are smooth on top.  There is a slight taper where the needle attaches to the twig.  And you can see that they are flat branches with the needles sticking straight out.  No sharp point that sticks you and not a lot of "pine odor" to them - just mild.  Looking in my western tree identifying guide, I'm 99% sure of what it is based on the range.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

caveman

Don't know your pine yet but more hints for the wood pictured yesterday.  It comes from an evergreen hardwood with alternate leaves that are thick, waxy above and pubescent below.  The margin is entire and it is known for its white flowers.  This should help.  The bark is relatively smooth as well.
Caveman

btulloh

Magnolia?  It won't stay white for very long!
HM126

tule peak timber

Quote from: ljohnsaw on October 15, 2019, 02:20:26 AM
OK, on to the next tree of the day, this one from the west coast.  I thought I only had two "pine" trees on my cabin property but I was wrong.  I have three but Ponderosa has already been listed somewhere above.

I've been clearing dead, dying and malformed trees and came across two different ones.  Here is the first.  This is actually a little baby one but same as the adults except for the bark.  When mature, the barks tends to get scaly.

I forgot to check the needles for roughness top/bottom but I'm pretty sure they are smooth on top.  There is a slight taper where the needle attaches to the twig.  And you can see that they are flat branches with the needles sticking straight out.  No sharp point that sticks you and not a lot of "pine odor" to them - just mild.  Looking in my western tree identifying guide, I'm 99% sure of what it is based on the range.
Looks like White fir

caveman

The wood is from a southern magnolia.  Now, back to IJohnSaw's pine.
Caveman

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Well, yellow poplar is a close first cousin.  Hard to tell them apart without heartwood.  One way is that magnolia mostly has a double band of terminal parenchyma at the end of each growth ring while yellow poplar only has a single one. 

Thank You Sponsors!