iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I fought it off

Started by Jim_Rogers, September 05, 2019, 09:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

So, a friend suggested that when I get my yearly physical and blood test that they check me for Lyme disease.
When I was at the doctor's office and the tech was drawing blood, I asked him if there was a box on his form for checking me for Lyme disease, and he said no. But that he could ask the doctor to add that test to my order.
That was last Thursday, one week ago.
This past Monday, a holiday, the doctor called me on my cell phone, in the early evening. I was surprised as it was a holiday.
He gave me my results over the phone, about all the tests of my blood work.
And after all the standard stuff, he said that there was some evidence of Lyme disease. But he wasn't sure, or they weren't sure if I had it or if I had had it and fought it off. So they were going to do the second deeper test.
He just called me this morning and gave me the results of the second test. I don't have an active infection. But that I did have it once and my body fought it off. Now I have antibodies built up in my system that should fight it off should I get it again.
I told him that this was good news and he said it was good news.
And early birthday present to me.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

samandothers

That is good!  Did not realize that was a thing!

nativewolf

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on September 05, 2019, 09:15:36 AM
So, a friend suggested that when I get my yearly physical and blood test that they check me for Lyme disease.
When I was at the doctor's office and the tech was drawing blood, I asked him if there was a box on his form for checking me for Lyme disease, and he said no. But that he could ask the doctor to add that test to my order.
That was last Thursday, one week ago.
This past Monday, a holiday, the doctor called me on my cell phone, in the early evening. I was surprised as it was a holiday.
He gave me my results over the phone, about all the tests of my blood work.
And after all the standard stuff, he said that there was some evidence of Lyme disease. But he wasn't sure, or they weren't sure if I had it or if I had had it and fought it off. So they were going to do the second deeper test.
He just called me this morning and gave me the results of the second test. I don't have an active infection. But that I did have it once and my body fought it off. Now I have antibodies built up in my system that should fight it off should I get it again.
I told him that this was good news and he said it was good news.
And early birthday present to me.

Jim Rogers
Happy BDAY , great present. 
Liking Walnut

petefrom bearswamp

Good news for you Jim
every time my joints ache and I feel tired I wonder if I might have Lyme as I have had a few ticks on me over time.
Couldnt be advancing age in my case could it?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on September 05, 2019, 10:47:10 AM
Couldn't be advancing age in my case could it?
Who knows. could be just that.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

That's a good thing to have.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bluthum

I had Lyme's a couple decades ago. I put off the Doc. but was no biggie in the months before I did. Lucky that. Anyway I asked the doc then if you could get it twice and he said no but he knew of a woman who had it twice. Weird stuff, these tick diseases. 

Old Greenhorn

I work with a fellow that is just finshed up his 5th bout with it. LOTS of folks around here get it multiple times. Never heard of building an immunity. Once you get it the virus is always in you as far as I know. Maybe @doc henderson can shed some light on this with respect to the pathophysiology.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doctorb on September 06, 2019, 10:48:51 PM
Lyme's disease is caused by a bacteria, not a virus.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/lyme-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20374651
Yup, right. Bacterial and viral, I always get those two confused. Either way, I still don't understand how immunity might might on this one. This ARTICLE did shed a little light. There are 16 strains of the disease, and one can result in 6-9 years of immunity after successful treatment. Learn something newe every day. I guess I am done for today. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

well I have been holding back a little.  It is a complicated issue.  In general bacteria are live organisms that divide to reproduce.  when you get infection it is because conditions are good for growth just like a wet summer and the weeds take over.  Our bodies are amazing and can recognize the bacteria as foreign and attack them.  there are so many variations of markers (antigens) on the cell walls so the body keeps some antibodies around for memory and can ramp up production when an infection occurs.  you have to of had a similar infection in the past to have the antibodies ready to fight.  If you have not had the infection, it takes time for the body to take in the antigen and make an appropriate antibody.  Babies are born with all the antibodies their mom had made, but themselves have never had an infection.  These last about 5 months, and after that the antibodies from mom are gone.  They develop about 100 viral infections then from 5 months to 5 years to develop their own immune system.  they will then have immunity.  we can test for the antibodies and determine that someone has had an infection.  Viruses are not live, but packets of genetic material.  they incorporate material into live animal and human cells (infect)  and in the process leave a marker (antigen) on the cell surface that our immune system can recognize.  Our immune system will destroy the host cell.  that is your immune system is killing your infected cells.  this is called inflammation and causes the heat, redness and swelling you see on your skin with an infection.  our immune system goes to war to fight infection with viruses and bacteria, and the side effects/symptoms are the collateral damage.  antibiotics attack the cell wall of bacteria and help the immune system kill the bacteria by the millions.  without an immune system, antibiotics will not help much.  without antibiotics, our immune system can fight most infections (think back 70 years ago).  antibiotics have no effect on viruses.  there are a few antivirals. These are being developed, think hep c, HIV.  This is why good docs spend time talking you out of antibiotics for a viral infection. Antibiotics wont help a viral infection but can select for bacteria that have resistance. this can harm you and others in the future when they have a serious bacterial infection with resistance to antibiotics.  (MRSA) .  the viruses can confer immunity by your body, and this is how we test for viruses by measuring the amount of antibodies you have in your blood called a titer. (admin, that is a long I so please do not remove! :))  there are different types of antibodies IgG and IgM that help us know if this is a new infection or old.  also we will measure antibodies and sometime remeasure in 6 weeks to see if it has risen 4 fold.  this causes confusion since if you titer is positive, you may think that you have a current infection but it may have been years previous.  things in nature adapt so bacteria and viruses can change to avoid our current medicines to help control them.  I held back because folks develop opinions and hold on to them strongly.  If you had a cold (virus) and were given an antibiotic and you got better, you might say the antibiotic helped.  but you would have gotten better at the same time no matter what.  Your body makes proteins to fight infection called antibodies.  the medicine your doc gives you for infection is called an antibiotic.  some people think antibiotics help all infections. some countries sell antibiotics over the counter and let people decide.  You have heard of the placebo effect and this is why folks who are given a sugar pill and told it will help, later will be likely to report feeling better.  So just as an example, pro CBD folks will report all kinds of benefit.  this is why things are studies in a double blind fashion.  OK I am done!   ;)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Andries

Compliments, Doc Henderson.
Using plain language to esp'lain uber complicated medical processes is difficult.
My daughter has Wegener's disease - a rare immune system disorder. Reading and trying to understand the cause and effect makes my head hurt.
Your humour goes a long way.  "..... you have in your blood called a titer. (admin, that is a long I so please do not remove! )" 
Well done sir!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

doc henderson

thank you.  A big part of my job as an ED doc is translating "doc to human".  Most signs and symptoms of infection are actually caused by our own immune system.  this is also how we make a diagnosis by looking at that constellation of S&S.  the immune system is some what self contained and automated, and like in the I robot movie, can sometimes attack the good parts of our body.  People feel like science moves us away from the spiritual, but the more you learn, the more you know this life could not be an accident.  Hope your daughter is doing well.  best regards sir.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!