iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ms 290 7 or 8 tooth sprocket

Started by ghost1, October 02, 2016, 12:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghost1

I am needing to replace the chain sprocket on my Stihl ms290 and see that is has 8 teeth.  Is there an advantage of replacing with original or can a 7 tooth be used?

ladylake

That saw shouldn't have come with a 8 tooth sprocket.  It would cut the best with a .325 7 tooth setup narrow kerf if you can get it.  steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ghost1

Wow!  Bought it new from the dealer and it came with 8.. I will replace with 7.. Thanks for reply

HolmenTree

Even my Husqvarna 562XP cuts better with the lower  gearing of a 7 tooth .325 drive sprocket.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

OH logger

not to hijack this thread but I have been runnin the 8 tooth over the 7 tooth on my husky 395s for cutting cause it should spin the chain faster, right? I could be wrong? it has happened once before ;D
john

ladylake

With a 395 you have a strong 95 cc saw that can pull a 8 pin unless in real big wood then a 7 pin should cut faster.  A MS290 is a weak 56cc saw and will cut the best with a .325 7 pin.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

HolmenTree

My 395XP -32" came from the factory with a 7T 3/8 rim sprocket.  I thought that was odd so I put a 8T on, wrong....put the 7 back on.

From experience I found a 8T rim works better with a shorter bar on a big displacement saw.  Like when I used to log with a 20" on a Stihl 064AV or my Jonsereds 910/920.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

joe_indi

Quote from: ghost1 on October 02, 2016, 12:20:33 PM
I am needing to replace the chain sprocket on my Stihl ms290 and see that is has 8 teeth.  Is there an advantage of replacing with original or can a 7 tooth be used?
What is the bar length?
With an 8 teeth rim and a  16" bar your 290 would be like one of those souped mini cars. As the bar length increases, 18" so so, but any longer? You really need a 7 teeth rim.

ghost1

It came with a 20in bar.. Thanks for replies

Thank You Sponsors!