iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dry Fuel Tank

Started by Fla._Deadheader, December 18, 2006, 09:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Today, my Fuel Tank went completely dry.  I probably worked as hard as I ever had, wrestling with a BIG Pilon Log.  Even broke my first wood handled Cant Hook.

What happened is, I completely gave out. Got so dizzy I couldn't stand. Drank some water, slowly. Took probably 1/2 hour before I could function. Arms were like rubber bands, legs were wobbly, head was spinning.

My food intake here is good. No sugar to speak of, especially in Coffee. VERY Little Ginger Ale. Nothing to give the "Energy Boost". Had it happen once before, climbing a steep long hill. Had to stop and rest.  Stress Test might give bad score ???  ::) ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Mooseherder

Fla_Deadheader, Are you diabetic or anemic?  Please go see a doctor tomorrow and get a test called a Complete Blood Count.

ellmoe

Harold,

Better be careful. Being nearly married and all you probably ain't got no reserves! ;D

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Bill

Can't think of any good reasons for near passing out. Time to see the doc for sure.

It may be as simple as something called "bonking" to athletes - You use up all the reserves ( glucose ) in your blood stream ( you did say you were working hard right ) and get light headed and can hardly walk till you get food ( glucose ) back into your blood stream.

But you won't know for sure till you see a doc.

Good Luck ( but no time to take chances ) . . .             esp with the holidays here 

:o

LeeB

Harold,

You got me worried about you there old son. I'm gonna have to agree with every one else and recomend a visit to the saw bones. Go get your self checked out. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

DanG

Like the others said, SEE A DOC!  You may just need more sugars in your diet, too, but SEE A DOC!  Also, work smart, not hard.  There are other ways to turn logs than manual brute force.  It may be a bit slower, but it won't put you in the grave.  SEE A DOC!, then eat(and drink) to match your workload.  Remember, that's a manual mill you have, and you're in the tropics, and you ain't as young as you once were. ::)

Oh yeah, SEE A DOC! >:(
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

Yeah, I hear y'all.  ::) ::) ::)  Reina is away till late today, so, I am going to work on fabbin the bandmill. Got the head mounted to the uprights. Need to do all the fine adjustments, now, so I can dial in the blade. MOST of the hard stuff is done, cept for the cipherin on hydraulics and lektrik stuff.

Biggest problem with BIG logs is having to move 'em. Once down, you have to stagger the ends, so the blade can exit to be turned. THAT'S where the trouble is. And where they lay, once ya get 'em down.

The Pilon fell into the upper edge of a drainage. All sorts of limbs and debris under it. We use a cant hook hook to hook the log on the opposite side, and I have a 1 1/2 ton come along chain drive that we pull with. Other problem is, NO ANCHOR point to hook a chain or 1" rope, for pullin against. THEN, ya hafta not move it so far as to overdo it.

One end of the mill is 24" off the ground, the other end we shoveled-cut our way down, so the cross member is flush and the track sits on the ground.  ::) ::) ::)

STILL have the Butt cut and the Stump cut to figger out how to maneuver.  ::) ::) ::)

Gotta see if there is any sports type drinks down here. Don't really believe in them, but, did try one once. Might have helped when we were sawing in 100° heat.  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

LeeB

Make sure you do plenty of water with the sports drink. Four to one water to the drink. It will taste awful but you can make your own with pickle juice. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Murf

Harold, as long as anyone can remember our family has had jugs of drinks out in the fields for those working in the heat.

Always the same stuff too, juice of one lemon, and cup of sugar in a big pitcher of water.

Legend has it the acid and vitamins in the lemon juice make it easier for your body to take in the water and sugar, as opposed to just passing through.....  ::)

Don't know fer sure, but it works fer me.  ;D

Don't taste bad either, even warm.  ;)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Ianab

My favourite hot weather sawing drink is Tropical fruit juice ( I think it's an Apple, mango and lime blend) mixed with water. About 2 parts water, 1 part juice.  It's along the lines of what the others are recomending. You cant drink enough of the straight fruit juice to keep yourself hydrated without making yourself feel ill. But watered down you can guzzle it all day and it tops up your sugar and vitamins.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Fla._Deadheader

Drink a LOT of fruit juice here, straight. Figgered my sugar reserve would be topped out.  ::) ::)  I usually carry lemon mixed 50-50 with water. Still no sugar. That is probably what happened, no stored energy left.  ::) ::)

Guess I just have to stop working and start bossing, like Fred.   ;D ;D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Kevin

My wife thought she was doing me a favour by taking the salt out of my diet.
After nearly passing out one day at work and a visit to the doc he says, do you like salt?
I says , why yes I do.
He says, then start eating it because you have low blood pressure. :-\

Fla._Deadheader

Just had Reina check my pressure.  125 over 90.  8) 8) 8) 8)

She says (She's a top of the heap Nurse), I had a low sugar reserve. She's always trying to get me to sugar my coffee. Been without it for so long, now sugar tastes horrible.  ::) ::) :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Mooseherder

Thats teenager blood pressure. ;D

Paul_H

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on December 19, 2006, 09:08:23 AM

Other problem is, NO ANCHOR point to hook a chain or 1" rope, for pullin against. THEN, ya hafta not move it so far as to overdo it.

Can you sink a Deadman or is the ground too hard/soft/muddy?

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on December 19, 2006, 09:31:18 PM

She says (She's a top of the heap Nurse), I had a low sugar reserve.

Not sweet enough eh? ;)

Glad you're feeling better.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Fla._Deadheader

With all the rain, the ground is soft. Also, it's laying in moderate jungle, where roots are really thick, so, digging is very difficult.  Smaller trees were tried, but, pulled them over pretty easy. Really difficult area and no room to maneuver a tractor, either.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Make you one of these, Harold.  :D :D :D :D :D :D

Fla._Deadheader

What took ya so long ??? I been expecting that to show up for 2 days.
:D :D :D  :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

I keep losing my engineering drawings  and Patent application. :D :D :D

TexasTimbers

You still have not scheduled any tests. Blood tests are needed young man. I was diagnosed with diabetes 3 1/2 years ago at age 44. You have never seen a pic of me but I have very little fat. No telling how long I had it before i was diagnosed.
I am not saying you are diabetic, if anything based on low energy and nearly passing out it is possible you could be hypoglycemic, but whatever, quit fabbing you bandmill and let the doc be labbing your blood.

Don't know your age and physical condition but "nearly passing out"  is not entirely normal or healthy.  ::) In fact, it is usually a courtesy warning of worse things to come if you try and pretend all is cool.

This sounds exactly like my wife talking to me about sokme health issue I try and ignore. But it sure is alot easier to dish this kind of advice out than take it.  Keep us posted we are your accountability partners FloridaHardHead.  ;)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Fla._Deadheader

My live-in Wife type persona says I have hypoglycemia.

Now, we are trying to discuss (Note I said TRYING) to discuss how to remedy the situation.  Sometimes, This Espanol gets VERY confusing  ::) ::) :D :D :D

Update as learned  ::) ::) ;D ;D

Appreciate all the concern. Thanks guys
   First, it is ridiculed;

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Bill

Not sure if this is allowed - but there's a guy called Carlton Fredericks ( as I recall ) that did several health type books and focused on hypoglycemia. He's from some time ago so maybe his books are not in the book stores but maybe a library would have some. Another good person is Jean Carper - though I don't think she did as much with hypoglycemia.

Neither of these authors was trying to sell anything - which helped me believe they just wanted to help spread knowledge.

Good Luck  . . .

Thank You Sponsors!