iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jig/Cradle For Short Logs

Started by gfadvm, October 23, 2013, 10:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wick

That's slick there. Now we're cookin !! (old saying)
Timber Harvester 30HT25

Wallys World

Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Tom the Sawyer

xlogger - I haven't had any problem turning the logs but they are either short (3' or less) or small diameter so they don't weigh that much.  The jig is independent of the stops and the clamp so you could raise the stops and tip a large piece with the clamp but if they are that large I wouldn't be using the jig.  I do all the pieces that might need the jig first, or last, so I only put it on once per job.

Wally's World - I started with a jig using pipe clamps, similar to yours.  I had trouble with movement when the blade entered the log.  My mill has a 30 hp engine and that is a lot of torque to resist.  I also drilled through the faces of the clamp and put in some small lag screws but I just wasn't comfortable with its stability.

There are a lot of different types of stock to hold and a lot of ways to hold them successfully.  This one has worked very well for me in the situations where I have used it but every design is a series of trade offs.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

JSwigga

Great looking jig Tom!  I'm thinking I can build something similar for the dedicated slabber.  Attach to piece of strut to each of the my main support timbers and make sliding log spikes to hold the log still.  Right now I just wedge it all into place with 2 x 4s and nails.  Sometimes I spend more time securing the log than I do slabbing it. 
60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

Thank You Sponsors!