iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chili con carne - which one to get?

Started by tonich, October 09, 2009, 09:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

Reading this series of posts reminds me that some of us are full of beans, and need to stand at a distance, reminds me of Blazing Saddles. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Roxie

I tried this "Wendy's" Chili recipe and loved it.  Serves 8.  This freezes well too.  I did throw in some finely chopped green pepper too.

Ingredients:
2 pounds Ground beef
1 can (29 ounce size) tomato sauce
1 can (29 ounce size) kidney beans w/liquid
1 can (29 ounce size) pinto beans w/liquid
1 medium Onion, diced
2 Green chili, diced
1 Rib celery, diced
3 medium Tomatoes, chopped
2 teaspoons Cumin powder
3 tablespoons Chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
2 teaspoons Salt
2 cups Water

Directions:

Brown the beef and drain the fat off. Crumble the cooked beef into pea size pieces. In a large pot, combine the beef plus the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer over low heat. Cook stirring every 15 minutes for 2-3 hours.
Say when

Tom

Beans, Beans, the musical fruit
the more you eat, the more you toot
the more you toot, the better you feel,
so, eat beans for every meal  ;D 8)

pappy19

Quote from: tonich on October 11, 2009, 09:28:16 PM
Quote from: pappy19 on October 10, 2009, 10:46:57 AM
After trying all sorts of chili recipes, I found that the Wick Fowler's 2 Alarm chili mix is the best I have ever tasted. I use it for all of my basic chili...

Today I spent almost an hour in our local Safeway, staring at the chili related items and found NOTHING!
I asked about a dozen of costumers, involved two associates in the search and still NOTHING. Finally, the staff came into conclusion that they probably don't sell this item.  ::) :o >:(

pappy19, could you please paste a picture of "that thing" here!

Actually, I had run out of my stock of Wick Fowler's and found it on amazon, of all places. I ordered a case (12) of them and give a few away when someone says" what is your secret? I want your recipe!!" and then I give them a box. Here is where I bought my last batch-

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=wick+fowler%27s&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3029121471&ref=pd_sl_1qa6ysbhwr_b

2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

tonich

LeeB

I had two big bowls of venison chili tonight done with sliced and chopped meat like Norm does with chuck. Yum yum.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

tonich

I have my first Chili ever completed!

I have followed Paul's directions, but have added 1 fresh tomato for flavor richness. I have used ready McCormick Club House chili mix from the local Wal-mart. Even my son (age of seven) was happy with it!

I can do chilli ME!  8)

Tom

Way to go Tonich!!

You've joined the great Forestry Forum food-in-every-thread club.  :D

Norm

SwampDonkey

So I guess we can name him Chilli Willie now.  ;D

It was a cartoon show of a penguin, for kids on TV, Toni. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Toni, I have enjoyed reading this thread!  Now, I need to leave for a while an go make some chili! 

When it gets cold, we have it once a week with corn bread.  My wife makes it with ground venison. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tonich

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 14, 2009, 04:44:53 PM
So I guess we can name him Chilli Willie now.  ;D

Here you go: 

Danny,
I have missed the corn bread!!!  :o :( >:(

SwampDonkey

I have cornbread every day. ;D I put blueberries in mine when I bake. I drop it into a dish of apple sauce when I go to the woods.  :)

I use the fine Purity cornmeal. The cereal type cornmeal is too course and feels like a mouthful of bird seed if used in cornbread unless you cook it like cereal on the stove first.  ;)

It was an old tradition to have cornbread or steamed brown bread (made from cornmeal and molasses) with home baked beans (soldier, yellow eye, Jacobs Cattle, calico) and dipped in molasses. People seemed to like molasses better than maple syrup on their corn bread.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WH_Conley

Have always loved good cornbread. Consider myself an expert on the good stuff. Best I ever had was from a small town festival. There was a guy there with a grist mill on a trailer, powered buy an old hit and miss engine. He had shelled corn that was fed in the hopper and meal came out the other end. Put in little bags with a recipe attached. My wife still has the recipe, wants more meal. My Sil showed me an old mill at his mother's home place. SAME IDENTICAL MILL. Won't let it out of that old shed. She better put it in her living room or "somebody" might steal it. ;D
Bill

ScottAR

Cornbread might be the finest bread on the planet...

I make mine with buttermilk and roasted garlic pieces or garlic powder.
Finely chopped jalapenos are good too. 

Don't forget a pinch of salt. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

pappy19

2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

tonich

Quote from: pappy19 on October 12, 2009, 07:38:02 PM
Actually, I had run out of my stock of Wick Fowler's and found it on amazon, of all places. I ordered a case (12) of them and give a few away when someone says" what is your secret? I want your recipe!!" and then I give them a box. Here is where I bought my last batch-

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=wick+fowler%27s&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3029121471&ref=pd_sl_1qa6ysbhwr_b

Looks like they do not ship to Canada... 
Here is the message from Amazon:
"Important Message
Wick Fowler's 2-Alarm Chili Mix, 3.625-Ounce Packages (Pack of 12) cannot be shipped to the selected address
"
::)

Norm

Toni if you look at the package it doesn't have anything in it that you can't buy at the local safeway. If you need any help with what the ingredients on the package are just let me know.  :)

SwampDonkey

If you have a post office box, many outfits won't ship to them. An apartment or house address will get around that. There is an Amazon.ca but they aren't like a department store like in the US, just carry audio/video/books/games/software/electronics.

Here is a recipe from Bicks Pickle company, using their sweet corn relish.

http://www.bicks.ca/en/recipes_sub.aspx?rid=136

Raider Bill

What's a Safeway? Is that like a Publix?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Paul_H

Quote from: Raider Bill on October 16, 2009, 06:26:43 PM
What's a Safeway? Is that like a Publix?

It's a large grocery chain.It's in BC and Alberta and probably all of Canada(?)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

tonich

SwampDonkey

It's not back east here, we have Superstore (Loblaws), Coop and Sobey's. I do my banking through Loblaw's President's Choice. Save Easy in small towns is also a Loblaw's outfit, ValueFoods in small towns is a Sobey's outfit as well.

Raider Bill

I remember Loblaws growing up but think they pulled out of the area [upstate, ny] many years ago. Publix is our biggest around here. Albertsons just left, Winn Dixies and Sweetbay are smaller ones. Publix is expanding north I've heard they are in Tenn now.
They've been building Walmart food stores lately, just grocery I think to try and get a monoply going in that direction in the areas that won't allow the super centers.

Got Ingles, BiLo and Piggly Wiggly in Tenn.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Norm

If I remember right safeway is more to the left coast. We have a regional chain called HyVee. They are overpriced and crappy quality but the old goobers love it because they give cheap deli meals. They move into a town with real low prices until they run out the competition and then jack the prices back up.

I shop at either Sams Club or a small regional grocer called Fareway.

Thank You Sponsors!