iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chili con carne - which one to get?

Started by tonich, October 09, 2009, 09:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

I've been to a HyVee in Fairfield Iowa. First time I ever saw liquor sold in a super market.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Patty

Most of the grocery stores carry liquor now. HyVee has run most of the mom & pop liquor stores out of business in the towns they are in. We Iowan's do like our liquor.......the winters are long and dark and cold. Perfect for hot toddies, peppermint schnapps and beer.  ;D

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Patty on October 17, 2009, 10:14:20 AM
Most of the grocery stores carry liquor now. HyVee has run most of the mom & pop liquor stores out of business in the towns they are in. We Iowan's do like our liquor.......the winters are long and dark and cold. Perfect for hot toddies, peppermint schnapps and beer.  ;D

say it ain't so..........
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

beenthere

A far cry from the days in IA when liquor was only sold in State owned liquor stores. And a small liquor book was carried with each purchase hand-written for a record. Maybe it is still true, but the liquor/beer/wine could not be purchased on Sunday (used to catch me when visiting in-laws).
I miss the old town grocery store with the squeaky wood floors and Mom & Pop running the place.

Good thread on the Chili con carne too!!
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Liquor, beer and spirits is only sold by a crown corporation (NB Liquor Corporation) and it is open Sundays 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm. There have been a number of new stores opened up right beside the new 4-lane exits to make sure all the drunk drivers get stocked up.  ::) :-X Drinking and driving seems like drinking soda pop to those that do it, cans and bottles all over these back roadsides. Always someone out collecting them for deposit money.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pappy19

Quote from: tonich on October 16, 2009, 02:37:34 PM
Quote from: pappy19 on October 12, 2009, 07:38:02 PM
Actually, I had run out of my stock of Wick Fowler's and found it on amazon, of all places. I ordered a case (12) of them and give a few away when someone says" what is your secret? I want your recipe!!" and then I give them a box. Here is where I bought my last batch-

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=wick+fowler%27s&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=3029121471&ref=pd_sl_1qa6ysbhwr_b

Looks like they do not ship to Canada... 
Here is the message from Amazon:
"Important Message
Wick Fowler's 2-Alarm Chili Mix, 3.625-Ounce Packages (Pack of 12) cannot be shipped to the selected address
"
::)

Send me a pm with your address and I'll send you a couple packages.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Patty

Iowa changed the law back in the 1980's so anyone with a license could sell liquor, and the state owned stores closed down. I think it was late 1980's when they opened up the market for Sunday sales as well. God Bless America!!  8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Mooseherder

We had some Chili left over and used it for some Wrapped Burritos with Rice.

Mmmmmmm...good. sketti_1

SwampDonkey

I'm baking a none traditional pizza right now with home made crust, black beans, onion, fresh corn off the cob, Jalapeno, bell pepper, mushroom, chili seeds, cheese.  Mmm mmm mmmmm  Some good stuff!!  Top that off with some real black berry juice from a glass bottle. Of course served in a glass. 8)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Yeah Patty I don't know why government has to be involved. They still collect the tax. Of course it doesn't bother me one way or the other since I ain't buying it anyway.  ;)

tonich

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 18, 2009, 12:19:19 PM
I'm baking a none traditional pizza right now with home made crust, black beans, onion, fresh corn off the cob, Jalapeno, bell pepper, mushroom, chili seeds, cheese.  Mmm mmm mmmmm  Some good stuff!!  Top that off with some real black berry juice from a glass bottle. Of course served in a glass. 8)

It doesn't count, unless you show us pictures.  ::) ;D

SwampDonkey

Almost too late, it was sliced four ways and 3 went down my stomach. ;D

Here's what's left and wrapped to go to Vancouver.

Suppose it will make it? Nice raised crust to. mmmm ;D

tonich

Not bad, but.... ah... we need a new, smell plug-in for the forum to make it complete.  ::)
I'll talk to Jeff!  8)

tonich

Who said my chili does not exist?!  ;D

8) 8) 8)

ScottAR

Good looking chili!! 

Don't leave wooden spoons in cooking liquids lest
the liquids taste like spoon.  HTH
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

SwampDonkey

Quote from: ScottAR on October 23, 2009, 02:08:26 AM
Don't leave wooden spoons in cooking liquids lest
the liquids taste like spoon.  HTH

:D :D

Taste like popple Toni? ;)

Here's a proper place for that spoon. ;D

tonich

The spoon was in the pot just for while I was taking the picture. ;D ;)

WDH

Looks good!  I am sure that it tasted good too  8). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

nas

Sawguy21 helped you with that didn't he? ;)
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

sawguy21

I can only wish, I really enjoy good chili. Speaking of liquor sales, I saw a good one in the sleepy metropolis of Willow Creek CA, just east of Eureka. The general store had a long counter just inside the door, first was the proprietress with the till and the liquor on a shelf behind her. Next was a glass case with assorted fishing gear then one filled with handguns.What's the gig here, I kick in the glass then hold you up for bottle of whiskey? :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WH_Conley

Pretty sure by the time ya kicked the one in, she would have had one in her hand, and it would be loaded. >:(
Bill

sawguy21

Very likely.  :D We had a nice chat about it. I was truly amazed, had never seen that before or since.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

Pistol pack'n momma from the wild west. :D

olyman

Quote from: Norm on October 17, 2009, 08:53:23 AM
If I remember right safeway is more to the left coast. We have a regional chain called HyVee. They are overpriced and crappy quality but the old goobers love it because they give cheap deli meals. They move into a town with real low prices until they run out the competition and then jack the prices back up.

I shop at either Sams Club or a small regional grocer called Fareway.

fareway= less cost than hy-vee, and better quality.

Kansas

I am suprised at the negative comments on Hy-Vee. They just moved in to this area about a year ago, opening a store in Topeka. Their prices are a little higher than Walmart, and about comparable with Dillons-which is the same as Krogers. They have the best selection of seafood and meat, along with fresh veggies and fruit, of any store I have ever been in. By far the best service I ever saw in a grocery store too. If you even look like your lost, someone is right there to ask you what your looking for. Of course, this store is new, and absolutely massive in size. Or maybe it was that walleye I bought there and grilled up one Sunday that has me liking them.

Thank You Sponsors!