iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

353 detroit smoking more then normal?

Started by logman81, January 07, 2014, 06:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

julio

Check air filter if it has been run with it dirty it can wash the ring out and will only smoke at lower rpms ,asit not burning the oil that it is dumped on the pistons
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

logman81

Precision Firewood & Logging

julio

Ok just watch the oil when you start running it . I ve got a loader at work will use about a gallon a day because they never checked air filter on it. Good thing we only use it maybe twice a month.
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

logman81

Ok so I worked the skidder for a couple hours today pulling firewood for the home. It's got me a little confused? It seems to smoke heavy when going down hills when it's on flat level ground or going up hill it doesn't smoke much at all? Checked the oil before running it and it was right at the mark on the dipstick. One other thing is it took about four try's to get it started this morning and that was in a warm building?

OntarioAl

logman81
If I read this right it does not smoke under load on flat ground or uphill but only going down hill in which is not loaded it smokes. Does not use any motor oil but it was a bit cranky to start but has lots of power under load. Does it start right up once its be running? Mine can be cranky when it is cold but starts right up if I have the heat on.
One thought are you losing any antifreeze?
If not then it is probably injection timing/injector issue and for that you want a mechanic skilled in setting Detroit's up do not compromise  here do your research and hire only the very best.
Hope this Helps
Al
Al Raman

logman81

From what I have gathered yes, just checked oil and antifreeze and both are at the same level before I started it this morning. I just went out to try and start it and fired right up instantly! Most of the smoke occurs when the engine is not under any load. It does a oil leak from the bottom of the engine could be oil pan gasket. I'm thinking it is injector problem?

treeslayer2003

meh, I say run her and keep eye on fluids. maybe not tuned exactly but them engines is nasty n smokey any how. sometimes they clear up with use. if she turns on fast n pulls good i'd run her a while n see what happens.

snowstorm

Quote from: logman81 on January 09, 2014, 01:12:22 PM
From what I have gathered yes, just checked oil and antifreeze and both are at the same level before I started it this morning. I just went out to try and start it and fired right up instantly! Most of the smoke occurs when the engine is not under any load. It does a oil leak from the bottom of the engine could be oil pan gasket. I'm thinking it is injector problem?
base gasket or air box drains?? air box drains should drip

logman81

I'm going to ask my mechanic and see if he knows what's causing it. The leak seems to coming from the oil pan area.

David-L

logman81, If it has the older cartridge filter system check the motor oil lines in and out on the filter base. I thought I had an oil pan issue and it was both of them loose. big wrenches and hard to get to. Clean that area up first and drop the pan to see where it is coming from. i have heard they use to have cork oil pan gaskets. Maybe it dried up and running it abit would help. Check your fluids and run it and weed out the bugs once and awhile.
                       David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Mark K

As David L said, check those lines for the remote oil filter. Mine chaffed thru, I thought it was the pan too. As far as smoke, mine was the same way. Id run it. Keep an eye on the fluids. If its a new motor the rings gotta seat in. Might even use a little oil till it does.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

logman81

Ok I'll check them out, I'll Probaly just  run it and see if it clears up.

coxy

if you have to change the injectors you DO NOT have to loosen the rack to change them its a little tricky but saves a boat load of time    the guy that rebuilds detroits here showed me how to do it  after you do it one time you will be able to do it with your eyes closed  ;D

logman81

Ya u wouldn't do it I'd have a mechanic do it but thanks for the tip.

logman81

Yup it's the oil pan gasket! No leak from the remote oil lines.

lumberjack48

If the motors not misfiring or blowing white smoke or getting antifreeze in the oil or blowing the antifreeze out or blowing blue smoke all the time theres not much wrong with it. The only time my 3-53 didn't smoke is when i had number one diesel  fuel in it. Like you all know this well kill a Detroit real fast, and if for some reason i had to run it, i added one quart of 30 weight non-detergent to every 10 gallons of fuel. If my Detroit didn't smoke i was concerned. In this -30 i mixed my fuel 50/50 with a little de-gel in it. Your temp should run 180 to 200 when pulling. This is a Detroit's sweet spot for power and fuel economy.

I would tighten the oil pan bolts a little and if it only leaked a quart or so a day i would run it until breakup. Hind site is always 20/20, i would run nothing but 40  weight full synthetic oil year round in a Detroit.
logman81, i would put the skidder to work and watch the fluids, if they stayed up i would worry about it.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Bert

Saw you tomorrow!

logman81

Hey nice to here from you lumberjack48 missed you! I ordered the gasket already, simple enough job to fix it. As for the smoking I'm just going to run it and keep an eye on fluids maybe it is just a sticky or dirty injector and will clear up.

thecfarm

There!!! Nice to hear from you lumberjack48
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

treeslayer2003

bout time you showed up 48, stick around. we need your input!

Mark K

Pan gasket can be fun to do in those. Did one in an early 70's 230. A whole lotta fun!
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

logman81

Ya this one doesn't seem to bad , drop the shield, drain oil and unbolt the pan and it will come right out. I tightened the bolts and still leaks but it slowed it down a little. So I'm going to put the shield back on and call it ready to go, I got wood to pull!

duckslayingpro

Lumberjack glad to see your back. Ill always enjoyed your stories and knowledge.

Logman my 440 deere done this one day last week. I know the Detroit is a way different breed of animal but it started smoking really bad. I changed the fuel filter thinking that might be it didn't help any. Well we ran the rest of the day and it finally cleared up on its own after a few hours of hard skidding. Good luck with your new machine.

jwilly3879

Glad you are back Lumberjack48 I missed your posts!

timberlinetree

Lumberjack 48 glad to see your back. Your knowledge is so helpful. Thank you for your posts. :) good luck logman81 with the skidder.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!