iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

short term missions trips to work on and train others about Wood-Mizers

Started by Mikey H, February 17, 2017, 10:46:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey H

Wanna go to Africa?  Our missionary friends seriously need good sawyer/mechanics that are familiar with Wood-Mizers and have a heart for the poor.  Over the years Wood-Mizer has discounted or donated over 500 sawmills into over 110 countries through Christian missions.  Great missionaries aren't necessarily good sawyers.  Even worse mechanics.  The area of greatest need is Africa.  Right now some of our Christian missionary buddies in Buchanan Liberia need good sawyer/mechanics for a couple of weeks.  You would be using your well-honed skills on the mission field and changing people's lives in the process.   Someone that learns how to make a profit with a Wood-Mizer can go from barely surviving to affording a home and schooling for their kids.  A good, working sawmill typically changes the lives of their whole extended families. 

Opportunities for short term trips come up all the time. These are not Wood-Mizer sponsored trips.  You would be going with and for the Christian ministries we team up with.  They know their way around and can host you.  We just make the introductions.  bon_fire   Kenya, Ethiopia, Uganda will also be needing help this year.  Then there's Haiti.  Don't get me started about Haiti.  DESPERATE NEED.  Hurricane Matthew knocked down about a decade worth of logging there.   

No whiners allowed.  Not for the faint-hearted. Strong sense of humor required. Must be flexible and unafraid of the unknown. All of these places either speak English or have plenty of translators   I'm going to Kenya in March for two weeks and will be glad to let you know if you'll need a barf bag or not when I get back. 

Holler back if you're interested in learning more.  I can chat/text/phone call/email/carrier pigeon more info to you, and introduce you to some of our friends on the front lines. SERIOUSLY!!  SAWYER/MECHANICS NEEDED. 

Mike Hanlon
Missions Mill Coordinator at Wood-Mizer since 2006
Mike Hanlon
I work for Wood-Mizer in the Sales Department.  I am the Account Manager for 8 of our 15 US locations and I oversee the Christian Missions equipment discounts and donations.
mhanlon@woodmizer.com

Kbeitz

Send me an E-mail more information on Haiti...
I got some pull in Dominican Republic.
Sounds interesting.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

DGK

Here's how they do it in Equatorial Guinea (West Africa). These are a few of my images that I took in 2015/16. I saw this pile of lumber stacked on the side of the road while driving around the Island of Bioko Norte. Wanting to investigate further, I had my driver turn-around, stop the vehicle, and introduce me to my fellow sawyers.  I often thought how cool it would be to have a Wood-Mizer over there.

Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

paul case

That is some crazy skill there.
No guide, no shoes, no problem!

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WV Sawmiller

DGK,

Yep that's the way they did in in Guinea and Cameroon when I was there and I suspect most of Africa. I've seen some real pretty boards about 5/4 cut in the jungle freehand with a chainsaw. I watched a guy bring a big plank boat down the river to Douala one time. He could not have had more than 2" free space in the boat and he was riding on top of the load poling it along.

They did the same thing on the Amazon river. What lodges and such were there were made out of this rough lumber up on poles above the high water mark of the river and thatched with palm fronds for roofs. Its amazing how creative some of these remote folks can be about using what is available to them for their daily lives.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Mikey H

I've been amazed by the response to this.  I got several emails expressing interest and I am very grateful.   It will be exciting to see what happens.  Thanks Everybody! 

Also, loved the stuff from Equaitorial Gunea and Cameroon.  Yes, it's amazing what they can do with a chainsaw or even a handsaw.  One missionary in Ethiopia had a group of 8 people producing 3 boards per DAY with 11 hours of labor with a handsaw.  VERY STRAIGHT BOARDS.   I have a picture of one of them watching an LT40 slice through a log for the first time.  Joy and amazement.   Now that mill keeps 6 families (about 40 people) busy full time. 
Mike Hanlon
I work for Wood-Mizer in the Sales Department.  I am the Account Manager for 8 of our 15 US locations and I oversee the Christian Missions equipment discounts and donations.
mhanlon@woodmizer.com

Wmivey

Hi Mike,
Glad to hear you're pressing on. The mill in Northern Ethiopia is doing great and still employing around 20 people. They rotate, one day on, 3 days off. The mill is doing great considering the difficulty in getting parts there. Thanks for all you've done in the lives of these people.

For those interested in doing a trip like this, I'd like to encourage you to step out. The people are wonderful and greatful for the help. Training can be difficult, but if you find one person with a bit of mechanical aptitude, they can bring the rest along. That's what I did. I have great memories of our trip and every time I get reports from the project, it encourages me a ton.

Mooney

A couple examples of what can happen when a small sawmill is used to improve lives...

My jaw drops every time I watch this one: LT15 in Congo helps village create local industry through wars & poverty - (starts slow, but it's worth it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1_oZ4-KcsA

Beehive building project in Zambia -
https://youtu.be/YfBF0zYTvCc

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pineywoods

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Mikey H

Mike Hanlon
mhanlon@woodmizer.com

Mooney

Quote from: pineywoods on February 24, 2017, 09:30:29 AM
HEY Mooney, good to see you back. Don't stay away so long....

Sorry guys! The original 2 year commitment to working in Europe is now nearing 4 years already (our choice - we're enjoying it immensely!). I had a few minutes Friday afternoon between projects and thought I'd see what you all were up to! ;-)

If any of you go overseas to help a mission mill, I encourage you to write a report on your trip and send it to us. It would really be an interesting read! I remember driving up to the the beehive project in Zambia (in the video I posted earlier). We originally were just going to be there a few minutes to see what it was all about. We ended up staying a couple hours and returned the next day after rearranging our schedule to record an interview with Mr Enright. Our jaws were dropping with what we were seeing and hearing... The impact of one small sawmill in a developing market can be huge. The same LT15 mill that some US customers buy 'just to have', can completely revolutionize the future of an entire village in Congo or Zambia.

I remember visiting a lady named Peggy in Africa. She and her husband had 12 kids. They bought a sawmill to start a business. Her husband died shortly afterward. She built up the business herself, bought two more sawmills in the process, and was able not only to send her kids to school (instead of them having to help her in the business), but was also able to employee 15 extended family members in the business. I listened to her relate this in shock, and she just smiled at us and praised God for providing...

Peggy

Or visiting another sawmill, and discovering that instead of chipping or selling his offcuts, the sawmill owner let local kids take all the offcuts freely to use for the fires to cook their dinners. As well, he had the only working well within walking distance, so he let the villagers fill up as much water as they wished - free. (picture below. See the ladies with the buckets in the background?)

Anyway, I encourage you to tap into this opportunity that Mike has presented. Just do it! You'll probably never be the same again! I've had the privilege of seeing firsthand the impact a sawmill can make in many countries throughout Africa and Asia. It's unreal! You get to see places no tourist would dare set foot!

Mikey H

Me again, second verse, same as the first.   Wanna go to Liberia?   We had a couple of guys take us up on it last time and they WENT.  Way cool.  In order not to burn anybody out, how about we put together a TEAM?   They seriously need mechanic/sawyer visitors 3 to 4 times a year.  Guy named Warren is going for the first time for about two weeks at the end of October. Needs a travel buddy. There are 3 Wood-Mizers operating near Buchanan Liberia.  They're surrounded by a pile of not-quite-veneer logs.  Good problem.  If you've owned or operated a Wood-Mizer, believe me, you know more than you realize about them.  Your input would be close to priceless over there.  They have an opportunity to work themselves out of poverty and support their own local churches, but they need your help.  Want to change some lives, including your own?   Give me a shout.   mhanlon@woodmizer.com    Operators are standing by.  Not sure why they won't sit down.

Mike Hanlon
mhanlon@woodmizer.com

sealark37

The grain mill and the saw mill are historically the first industrial activities in an agrarian society.  Both require capital, as well as a stable political situation, to prosper.     Good Luck, and Regards, Clark

WH_Conley

What is the temperature and humidity like over there that time of year?
Bill

Mikey H

Temperatures are in the 80's 24 hours a day, humidity 100%.   Chance of rain around 40%.  If you have a good slingshot, you can hit the equator. 
Mike Hanlon
mhanlon@woodmizer.com

florida

Those videos are a hit between the eyes. I wish I had milling skills to contribute. My lumber company here sponsors a church in Rwanda and has built a lot of big school buildings there. They gather local contractors for trips every year to teach locals how to build their own buildings. You all are doing fantastic work, thank you. I just finished reading "Crossing the Congo" which depressed me to no end. The poverty they describe is beyond my ability to comprehend. I can't physically go but I'd love to help support what you're doing.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

WH_Conley

Yeah, looked up their weather after I posted that. Not going to happen with 60% lung function. Sounds like it would be a good experience for all parties involved.

If it was dry I might have tagged along to try to keep that Warren guy out of trouble. ;)

Warren is a good guy, will do fine with them. Don't let him know I said anything good about him. He might get the big head. ;D
Bill

Mikey H

Right now all of the places needing help are hot and muggy, but once in a while we need help in nicer spots.  I'll keep your interest in mind.

Long time customer went to VANUATU to help out a few months back.   Gilligan's Island on steroids.  8) Yes, he wants to go back. 
Mike Hanlon
mhanlon@woodmizer.com

WH_Conley

Be careful he does not have a Weed Eater in his suitcase for the Grass Skirts. :D
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!