iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If you had to do it all over again....

Started by cobbr68, June 07, 2020, 09:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cobbr68

Based on input from what I call the FF elders, I am going to build a solar kiln as my first step.  I have 2 questions:

1.  Is there a thread on solar kiln mods like I've seen for sawmill mods?

2.  What would you do differently?  If you were building your solar kiln today, what would you change?  

Thx!  

Rick

Incremental improvement is better than postponed perfection.

firefighter ontheside

There's numerous good threads on solar kilns in this forum.  Each has lots of good info.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

I think most variations are to use materials on hand, and or save money.  I have been planning one and had a conversation with Dr. Gene Wengert who did much of the research and development of the VT solar kiln, and he finally stated "it is just a solar kiln".  so as much as I tried to understand all the pros and cons, it does not have to be complicated, unless like me you want it to be.  the first thing is to get a copy of the plans.  you may modify as needed.  the original was 14 feet long.  so if you plan to make 18 foot lumber, you would want to make it at least 20 feet long.  to make it wider gets complicated due to trying to get air to move through the stacks at the needed velocity.  the clear glazing can be many things.  the ones that last the longest, are the most expensive.  so read up, and then ask questions and we can all chime in, including @GeneWengert-WoodDoc .  good first questions.  good luck.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

btulloh

X2 or so on lot's of build threads here that should help you.

The main thing is to use the VT design and make sure any mods or changes don't affect the critical aspects of solar collection, air flow, and venting.  Plenty of room for interpretation but the more you deviate, the more attention needs to paid to the impact on the critical areas and proper operation.

Good luck with your build.  You'll do fine.   It's really great to have a functioning solar kiln.
HM126

scsmith42

The VT design is hard to beat.  In my instance, I made some dimensional modifications that I have been very pleased with.

For background, I use four solar kilns as pre-driers for a Nyle L200.  In addition to effectiveness, my priorities are ease of machine loading and the same stack size as I use in my Nyle (40" deep, 60" - 72" tall).

On my last solar kiln builds, I stretched their height and widths compared with the VT original.  The dimensional increase allows me to set a 6' tall bundle of lumber on top of either a pallet or some 4x4's inside the kiln.  That means that I need some extra clearance above and beside the load.  Kiln doors are 8' high, which is also the distance from the bottom of my baffle to the floor.

Outside width is 20', and with 2x6 wall construction my inside width is around 18' because I can't open my doors 180 degrees in their current location.  

If I had it to do over, I would increase the outside width to 22' in order to have more room on each end of the lumber stacks.

Here is a pic of 3 of mine during construction:

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

DDW_OR

Following
I am going to re-use a 16x8x8 shed i built in my teens
the roof is shot, walls and floor are good.
will be adapting the VT designs to fit the shed.

in future will be building a Hi-cube refer into a kiln

FYI, i cut for my self
plan to build a 20x30x10 work shop inside the back end of a 30x60x14 polebarn
"let the machines do the work"

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Two ideas.
First, do not enlarge the kiln.  Rather build a second one.  More flexibility on species, MC coming in, etc.

Second, even if you build only one, consider where a second one, in a year or two, might go.

Remember that a kiln is considered a piece of equipment, so its cost could be a tax deduction with maybe a five year amortization eve On schedule C filers.

Maybe also build a small solar kiln and rent out space to folks needing to dry a few board feet.  Have them stack and unstack it.

Get a rugged moisture meter with a probe attachment with long,pins.  Probably $300 ,minimum.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

farmfromkansas

I built my kiln 16', planning for a 14' pallet, but think I will build the pallet 13' long.  You have to get the pallet into the kiln without running into something, when it is that wide, with a skidsteer, kindof close. Think I will put a dot of white paint on the front wall, and put a mark on the center of the pallet and lumber to try to aim for the center when loading.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

caveman

SCSmith, I am interested in seeing your doors and hinges on your solar kilns.  Our next one will have two swing open doors and we will not have the middle panel.  We are probably a year or more away from building it.
Caveman

DDW_OR

@scsmith42 

Me to, on the doors and hinges
will be building in the next 4 months
"let the machines do the work"

scsmith42

I'll see about taking some pix and posting them. 

They are simple... 2x4 framing, plywood glued and screwed on the outside and closed cell spray foam in the inside. There is a stainless steel cable and turnbuckle that runs diagonally across the door on the inside; from the upper hinge side to the lower door side where the two doors meet.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!