iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

PH360 question or any 4 head planer moulder

Started by Percy, June 21, 2020, 07:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

I have had a PH360 for about a year and a half. I am really getting to know the machine and a lot of its intricasies. One thing I havent got a good handle on is the infeed table alignment. The owners manual says a slight upward tilt on the end farthest from the machine helps avoid snipe. I have it set pretty much flat. The first head is the bottom one and for all intents, its a jointer...For some reason, occasionally it skips planing, or you can see saw marks in the middle of the board only. This seems to happen even if Im taking alot of meat off the bottom...Any ideas as to what I have set incorrectly?? 
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Don P

Haven't ever been in the presence of that machine. Just a thought. How much is dangling off the end of the infeed (arching the board) when that happens?

Southside

On my 4000 I have the infeed elevated a fair bit. When I see those skips it has been one of two things, blades are dull and I am pushing my luck, or the DanG sawyer pushed the band too far and made wavy lumber. Either way clearly it's not my fault.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

I was wondering, similar to DonP, if on longer boards if you have the board hanging out on both the indeed and outfeed? I could see it lifting the board up in the middle.
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

All joking aside I have 14' of infeed and 14' of outfeed support, that really makes a difference.  4' is factory on each side and the 10' is a set of skate roller I set in place.  It also helps with getting boards into and off the machine in a timely manner without them falling or leaving a gap between them.    
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

longtime lurker

I like a long infeed set dead level to the bed. Formply or dressed wood top rather then rollers.... keeps it smooth if they've got a bit of bow in them.

Saw marks in the middle lengthwise can indicate bow... It's hogging off material on the bottom at the ends and on the top in the middle. More pressure on the feed and pressure rollers might help hold it down against the bed.

Saw marks in the middle widthwise indicates cup. Not much you can do there except double pass them, Or put them over the jointer, or rip them narrower.

Aside from that are you happy with it?
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Southside on June 21, 2020, 10:25:21 PM
All joking aside I have 14' of infeed and 14' of outfeed support, that really makes a difference.  4' is factory on each side and the 10' is a set of skate roller I set in place.  It also helps with getting boards into and off the machine in a timely manner without them falling or leaving a gap between them.    
Can you post a picture of the skate roller setup sir 😊

Percy

Quote from: Don P on June 21, 2020, 07:51:31 PM
Haven't ever been in the presence of that machine. Just a thought. How much is dangling off the end of the infeed (arching the board) when that happens?
Quote from: Southside on June 21, 2020, 08:24:49 PM
On my 4000 I have the infeed elevated a fair bit. When I see those skips it has been one of two things, blades are dull and I am pushing my luck, or the DanG sawyer pushed the band too far and made wavy lumber. Either way clearly it's not my fault.  :D
I will fool with the infeed table angle more..I haddnt considered dull blades...

Quote from: barbender on June 21, 2020, 09:06:51 PM
I was wondering, similar to DonP, if on longer boards if you have the board hanging out on both the indeed and outfeed? I could see it lifting the board up in the middle.
I thought about that but it still happened when I held the board till it was completly on the table..I was planing 12 footers....

Quote from: Southside on June 21, 2020, 10:25:21 PM
All joking aside I have 14' of infeed and 14' of outfeed support, that really makes a difference.  4' is factory on each side and the 10' is a set of skate roller I set in place.  It also helps with getting boards into and off the machine in a timely manner without them falling or leaving a gap between them.    
Pics when u have time...?

Quote from: longtime lurker on June 22, 2020, 04:34:42 AM
I like a long infeed set dead level to the bed. Formply or dressed wood top rather then rollers.... keeps it smooth if they've got a bit of bow in them.

Saw marks in the middle lengthwise can indicate bow... It's hogging off material on the bottom at the ends and on the top in the middle. More pressure on the feed and pressure rollers might help hold it down against the bed.

Saw marks in the middle widthwise indicates cup. Not much you can do there except double pass them, Or put them over the jointer, or rip them narrower.

Aside from that are you happy with it?
Yes..I like the machine...It has alot of power and can remove a fair amount of material if you feed slow...if you do your home work presizing, you can zip along quite nicely

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The suggestion to have the tail end of the lumber slightly higher when feeding is for a top head player.  It is reverse for a bottom head first.  This is to force the lumber against the bed plate, which in a bottom head is on the top.  This prevents snipe on the entering end of the lumber.  Likewise on the exit end. .. The outfeed needs to slightly raised if the last head is a top head and slightly lowered if the head is a bottom head.

The amount of tilt is often 1/32" per foot.  Noe that the indeed and outfeed need to be as long as the pieces of lumber.  Otherwise gravity will affect the process.

Once the lumber has gone about 6" past the head, the pressure bar is able to control the process.  If the PB is missed, then snipers worse.  If the PB is too tight, the lumber will not feed.  So, the operator opens the PB opening more than needed to get proper feed, which increases snipe if the feed tables are not tapered.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!