iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

An old Mall chainsaw

Started by mikeandike, April 21, 2006, 10:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeandike

I was given this old Mall chainsaw today. The guy knew I liked old
stuff that relates to loggin and sawmills.

Don't know a thing about it except that it's very heavy and the
blade sits sideways. Looks like it might work if I fix the gas leak.

Hope somebody can tell us about it.   ???

well I don't know how to get the pictures to the message but
they are in my album...er gallery.
Looking for a slabber
WMLT40HD

Jeff

Big problem with the old malls is the ignition coil on them can go out and they are a real bear to find. This according to a collector Chet and I visited with that was working on a beautiful restored one at the Paul Bunyan show. he was replacing the ignition on it, AGAIN he said. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

I forgot. Getting the photos on the board is easy.  Go to the photo you want to use, and it can be any photo in ANY forestry forum gallery, dont have to be yours,  click on the thumbnail and make sure you are looking at the actual photo. Under it you will see the text:

Click to copy photo insertion code

Do that, simply click on that. Then come back to your post, right click where you want your photo to appear and select paste. The code to make your photo show up will be pasted into your posting box. Once you post, your photo will show up.  Now, you can put your other photo in here. :)

16:1 mix

Greetings from another Mall owner!

Mine is a model 12a in running condition. What a brute!  I grabbed it at an auction a few years ago and it took very little effort to get it running.

Looking for another pic...

Jeff

Sorry 16:1 mix, but all photos must reside on the forestry forum server and also the link had to be removed as per our rules at the bottom of the page. There are instructions for posting your photos to your forum gallery using the help link.

Please post your story here we would love to see it, but we don't drive visitors to other forums of similar content as ours.

mikeandike

Thanks for the tip on the picture, but clicking on the "click here to
copy photo insertion code" didn't want to work, but copying
and pasting the whole address did.

Thanks now I can put pics with messages.

This is a great place.
Looking for a slabber
WMLT40HD

Raphael

I do the same thing to post pictures.
I'm guessing the click to copy link process is some version of Microsoft Java that's not compatible w/ the rest of the planets web browsers.

That's a nice find, now that you know how to insert pictures we'll want to see shots of the saw in action (once you get it running).
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Jeff

Its java script. Works in IE, but yep, the code is provided above it (the click link) including the tags, to simply copy and paste.

Jeff

Someday I'll have to show you my Mall Chainsaw paper hat.  8)

Dan_Shade

i found this one snooping around back home one day:

i didn't bother to see how the bar mounted
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

Finally got around to digging out "My Mall Hat" . :)  Anyone else have or ever saw one of these?  Not sure of the safety aspects of wearing such a hat. :)

Dan_Shade

Jeff, you have one of everything, don't you?

:D

btw, looking at my pictures, looks like the bar mounts "normal"
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

16:1 mix

Quote from: Jeff B on April 21, 2006, 11:25:37 PM
Sorry 16:1 mix, but all photos must reside on the forestry forum server and also the link had to be removed as per our rules at the bottom of the page. There are instructions for posting your photos to your forum gallery using the help link.

Please post your story here we would love to see it, but we don't drive visitors to other forums of similar content as ours.

Soooorrreeeeeeeeee!!  :o

Here is the story and a fresh pic...

PS - Jeff, I love that Mall hat!!!!!!!! 8)

[/img]

++++++++++++++++++

Here you go everyone, my entry into the chainsaw world! This is the Mall 12a that I picked up at an auction several years ago and set aside. Last week I decided that it needed some attention so I set out to hear it run. After giving the ignition points a good shine and disolving the grah-doo out of the fuel tank and carburator I was ready to try. With a fresh batch of fuel mix and four tugs of the starter it came to life again. That sure is a knarley sounding 2-stroke engine!

After satisfiying my desire to hear it run it went back in the shop for a little more TLC, starting with the bar. It has seen some poor storage condtions because the chain is rusted to the bar. The next step will be to get it loosend up, I'll probably just pull the bar and soak the whole thing.

C-Ya

++++++++++++++

July 3rd, 2005

Today is the day. I was able to get the chain and the bar in operable condition and repaired the trigger to throttle spring. After a little more float adjustment the carb acts like it will work, it wanted to run over. Fired it up and let the chain run and wear the balance of the rust away using heavy lubrication.....that is, I ran the chain in a bucket of oil for awhile to clean out all the links, it was rusted solid when I got it!

I made a little cut on a cotton wood branch just 'because', but the chain is awful dull in addition to being rusted!

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

Quote from: Jeff B on April 21, 2006, 11:25:37 PM

Well,on the subject of old Malls,they are kind of neat.I saw a model 7 that the owner could"kick Start".I spent part of a winter,in the 60's on the "dummy" end of one

I do respect the policy of not linking to other sites .I however don't have a clue as to why some of you site owners are so fussy about it.I have had this conversation with another site owner,whos' name shall not be mentioned but it fell on deaf ears,so to speak.

I'm not complaining but this,of all the sites,is the hardest to post pictures of any on the net,bar none.

beenthere

Al
It's really not that tough, and I like the way our admins have handled it.  And even chainsaw guys can do it.  :)

Maybe it's a bit like some of the courses and seemingly worthless material one had to learn in HS. Just maybe a better rounded individual having had to learn it to show that you 'qualified' to be a graduate.  :) 

Now, give it a whirl and post us some pics. I too was in that state of mind thinking that I had some sort of inferiority complex that kept me from being able to post the pictures. Learning it helped me to understand the digital photo world much better, and I've been able to effectively reformat my digital pics for my own storage and archives, as well as email pics much faster than the way I used to (which meant the recipients had to wait forever for one of my digital pics to be downloaded).
Just last week, after getting an old table of my grandmother's restored, the lady sent me before and after pics. Took my DSL line many minutes to download them because they were original size.  There were 8 pics. The lady thought they all didn't go through (she waited a long time on her end I suspect) so she divided them and sent two more emails with 4 pics each. So I had to wait again for them to download.

Look forward to your pics.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Al, We currently have 20,122 photos in the forum galleries and that number grows larger every single day. I don't believe there is another site of similar content that has anywhere near that amount of photos. That number should say volumes. We have lots of intruction on the forum for posting photos and almost any of the members or admins will give personal help if asked. Placing the limits that we do on photo size insures that we have room for your photos in the future without having to delete someone elses photos from the past. And a very important thing at least in my mind it that I don't go broke from paying bandwidth bills because of the massive amount of photos that are viewed everyday.

Our webserver is like your personal computer. The storage space is not unlimited and can and will eventually run out of space. I am glad I thought about that and set the limits way back when because I still have a long time before I have to worry about your future ability to view or add photos.

Thank You Sponsors!