iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this Black Walnut ?

Started by Old saw fixer, April 10, 2021, 11:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old saw fixer

Are the two blocks that are not ERC black walnut?  I don't know what I need to do to turn the image to the correct presentation.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

metalspinner

Yep. Looks like walnut to me. Amazing how long it takes for that sapwood to turn to heart. How old is that?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Texas Ranger

I think not black walnut, bark is wrong, should be more color as old as the tree is.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

I would think black walnut sapwood would be not much more than 2" wide? Deep furrows suggest an older tree.

Sassafras? Is there any spicy odor to it?

Walnut wood has odor when worked to, not spicy.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

metalspinner

I recently removed a BW in our yard to build my workshop. This tree sprouted from a stump of a previously cut down walnut. The new tree was probably about 15 years old. It had a tiny amount of heart wood just like pictured above. I put it on the street for garbage pickup. 
Old Saw Fixer, can we get a cleaner pic of the end grain?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Old saw fixer

For sure not sassafras, we have plenty of that and very familiar to me.

I'll get a better pic next time I go back to finish clearing up ice storm damage. 

There is a known black walnut a stones throw from where this tree was.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510

SwampDonkey

Might very well be walnut. I notice the wood is oxidized a bit, sort of green yellow. I seen that in butternut, but that's not a butternut. It was in the spring when I bucked one up. So again could be walnut, they are close cousins. ;D Any odor at all from it? I've had walnut here I had to remove, they were not frost hardy enough. I see two that came from seed the squirrels planted by the brush. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Old saw fixer

There is no remarkable odor.  I will get a better pick of a fresh cut.
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510

Al_Smith

If it had walnuts under the tree if the squirrels didn't get them all that would pretty much nail it . ;D

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Old saw fixer on April 11, 2021, 10:08:32 AM
    There is no remarkable odor.  I will get a better pick of a fresh cut.
You'd notice it if you were planing boards.

WDH

My first thought from seeing the pic is cottonwood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kantuckid

I have never seen anything close to that much sapwood on any walnut.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

SwampDonkey

Anything is possible as to sapwood width, but probably unlikely walnut. I know on local butternut, sapwood is very narrow. I've not cut a mountain of it, but a few over the years from the farm and always narrow sapwood. The best logs was growing in with sugar maple, no limbs low and straight up 40 feet before limbs. And I have cut a couple walnuts, they were not old trees, but about 2" of sap. I know any walnut I have used has a distinct odour when worked. You're looking at a choc brown wood and thinking chocolates, it's in the mind. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!