iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can someone verify This isn’t a Pacific Yew?

Started by JoshTheGentlema, April 28, 2021, 08:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshTheGentlema

I'm feel like I know how to tell the difference between a fir and a pacific yew but I have to cut some fir saplings and am afraid I'm gonna mistake a yew. Can someone confirm these are fir's and if you have any concrete differences that would be great. This is in the Sierra Nevada's in California. 

aigheadish

I'm a know-nothing amateur but I thought firs typically look like trees and yew usually look more shrub-y. 

After doing a search on both, the yew pictures I'm seeing look significantly larger than I realized, but still like a bush or shrub, just really big. Fir looks like it tends to look like a tree.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

BradMarks

Not a Pacific Yew at all. Yew has short pointy needles, grows irregular, with generally smooth reddish bark, although I have seen variations on the bark.  A fir fir shir!  Perhaps Grand or Shasta Red

Ljohnsaw

Looking in my Pacific Coast Tree Finder, I follow this trail through the guide:

Branches/twigs have smooth, round scars where old needles have falling off, then it is a FIR
If the base of the needles is a skinny stalk AND round tips, then it is a White Fir

If no round scars, needles are flat (cannot twirl between thumb and forefinger)
And if the needles are pointed tips and the top of the needle has a ridge, then it is Pacific Yew.
If the needle has everything above but a groove instead of a ridge, then it is a redwood.

Hope that helps.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

JoshTheGentlema

Thanks so much for the help everyone. This helped out so much. I have to clear Fir and Cedar seedlings in a grove of giant sequoias and pacific yews. Wanted to make sure I don't make a mistake on the little ones. I was able to verify all this today on a side by side comparison and don't think I would mistake them now. 

SwampDonkey

Yew of any size has this color in the bark ██████ and darker toward purple. You have a fir there. Used to find some 4" sized ones in logging slash on the BC coast. I have some Canada yew on my land, but it just grows knee high and spreads around like running club moss. Bark never gets any color to it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

If yew are from the Deep South (y'all), yew ususally don't know yew. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

BradMarks

Thank You Sponsors!