iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Weird Grain Pattern in Cypress

Started by Fla._Deadheader, May 15, 2004, 11:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Anyone ever see this type grain pattern???  Looks like the "CBS" eye ???

This particular board has the pattern over 90% of the face???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

That's pretty.  I don't know if I've seen that design before but cypress can sure be surprising with some of the grain figure that shows up.

What is the relative size of the picture to the board?   Could you lay a quarter on it to give it some relativity?  I'd like to see it. :)

Fla._Deadheader

I can do that. The patterns are just a little larger than a quarter ??????
   First, it is ridiculed;

Fla._Deadheader

Hows dis ??? ;D

\Here's da new truck (to us) ::) ;D ;D

First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

That's neat grain. It looks like the surface of the tree was covered with bumps.  It is almost shaped like spalt marks, isn't it.   I've seen some stuff similar to that but not that defined. That's a special board.  Y'all are finding some neat stuff.  :)

The truck is great.  That should pull most anything that needs pulling, including a log. :)  Looks comfortable too.  You can't beat the size of an American built cab for comfort.

Fla._Deadheader

This truck would pull that Baker mill, also. Makes a nice runaround truck. ;D ;D ;) ;) :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

iain

looks like the grain pattern of piranha? pine from brazil very pop here in the late 30's as ply facing
it should scrub up nice

Kevin_H.

I look at the grain pattern and I dont see the CBS eye I see $$$ signs...

but then again when I look at the truck I also see $$$ signs.  :D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Fla._Deadheader

Showed the boards to our local "Forester" the other day. He says that ANY figures that resemble what I posted should be considered "Birds Eye". Must be a common name for stuff like this  ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

I would be more tempted to call it "Curly" rather than birds-eye even if some of the "eyes" were caused by undeveloped buds. The circular grain that I see is more prone to be caused by uneven growth.  The circles caused by cutting through a protuberance and the wider grain by cutting 'flat" at an angle.  Some of the same look can be produced by a veneer mill where the log is rotary cut and the grain is absolutely "flat".  Your cutting "flat" boards from the very outside of a real big log could produce close to the same effect.

I keep coming back to this thread to look at that board and have been forming this opinion since the first day.  I'm still not sure but, my mind is beginng to cubby hole it as a curly or wavy board. :)

Thank You Sponsors!