iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Happy Birthday Smokey Bear

Started by AtLast, May 19, 2004, 08:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I've got several things up on the cabinet here, but my Axe is blocking them from view. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

Nice collections!There sure are a lot of Smokey collectables out there. There are always Smokey items on Ebay.
~Ron

Magicman

Quote from: Jeff on August 10, 2012, 06:03:27 PM
but my Axe is blocking them from view. ;) 

But I got to view the Axe.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

I am subscribed to a Youtube channel that has archived old video footage of just about anything imaginable and this week what came up was 'Smokey's Story' with Dennis Weaver telling the story to some kids. So I knew there had to be a thread on this forum already about Smokey, so here's 'Smokey's Story'. :)

" SMOKEY'S STORY " THE STORY OF SMOKEY THE BEAR U.S. FOREST SERVICE FILM w/ DENNIS WEAVER XD47974 - YouTube

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodroe

"Smokey's friends don't play with matches"

That was a good story SD. Late 60s early 70s era by the looks of the chevy truck.
Once upon a time I had to wear a Smokey the Bear costume for a elementary
school visit or two. 
Was filling a temporary fire tower watchman position and being the new guy
on the block I was elected to be Smokey. Terribly hot inside that thing and the kids
poked me in the eyes being curious what or who was really inside the costume.
Hopefully they didn't go play with matches after so they could see Smokey again. 
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

The song writers added "the" to Smokey Bear's name. Just fit the lyrics better than Smokey Bear. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

scsmith42

Wow, this thread brings back some family stories.

The "Smith Veterinary Hospital" in the video was owned by Ed Smith in Santa Fe, NM.  Dr. Ed was my father's best friend and the best man at my parents wedding in 1948.  I recall visiting the clinic and staying with Dr. Ed's family at their house around 1969.

My father was actually visiting Dr. Ed at the clinic the day that the bear cub was brought in, and was present in the room when the video was taken.  

Today Ed's grand daughter and great grand children are still operating the clinic.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

SwampDonkey

Cool Scot, that adds even more to the story.

Ron Scott

Coming up in 2024: Smokey Bear turns 80: A fire prevention legacy unmatched
80 years is a tremendous milestone—for anyone. To make it to 80 means you have overcome life's greatest challenges and you truly become the elder, the sage, the one who knows a thing or two and should be listened to. Being the spokes-bear, if you will, of the longest running and most successful advertising campaign in American history, at 80 years old, I think Smokey Bear would agree.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/features/coming-2024-smokey-bear-turns-80?utm_source=MarketingCloud&utm_m
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!