iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can You Help Identify This Old PTO Winch??

Started by cl5man2, December 03, 2020, 10:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl5man2

First time user here, hope I'm in the right forum for this. Purchased an old military PTO winch some time ago with the intentions of attaching it to my skid steer. The time is right, so I've started the conversion to hydraulic. Its made by Allstate which was a re-branded Braden winch. I've searched high and low on the net and just cannot determine the model and specs on this winch. It looks identical to several of the Brayden winches so I'm hopeful someone might recognize it. I'm trying to size the hydraulic motor and really need to know how much pull this winch can take so I can use all of its capacity. Plenty of hydraulics to power this thing, 3300 psi and 23 GPM available. Obviously its in need of repair but nothing I cant handle. It came from Fort Huachuca down here in southern AZ, its a beast!! Weighs about 150 lbs with no motor or cable. I'm hoping its in the 20k range. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks 

mudfarmer

What are the #s stamped into it? I can almost see them.

This page says top will be model and bottom is serial #, first two digits are year of manufacture

BRADEN WINCH SERIAL NUMBER | Winches, Inc.

Yours looks like the M3H worm drive they have a picture of

cl5man2

Top row has 428-4944-L stamped in it.  Bottom row has 491209 stamped in it.  That would be cool if the winch was a 49'.  Things were build different back then.  

mudfarmer

I don't know if it is a Braden, it could an early Ramsey. It looks like Sears resold both Braden and Ramsey winches under the Allstate and Sears names. Possibly some variant of Ramsey model 101.

Looking forward to someone that can help give you a positive ID.

Walnut Beast

I had one like that I never used. The other one was a factory winch on the front of a 1948 Dodge Power Wagon.They were Braden MU 2 . I think that's what it is like 

Larry

I'm thinking Braden also.  A lot of forestry vehicles had front mounted pto winches.  I have an old Ramsey off a USFS truck that I don't think was ever used.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

mike_belben

Dont overthink it.  Spec the motor that can handle all your fluid psi and gpm and give you a good line speed.  You can figure the gear ratio by counting turns.  No need for brute power at the expense of speed.  If the log is THAT big youll just pull the skid steer to it anyways.  

A hydraulic 12k will reel in all that a bobcat wants to drag anyway. 
Praise The Lord

DbltreeBelgians

I can say with confidence that is a Braden. The gearbox side of the winch is nearly identical to the Braden 
MU-2 I built for my S-250 Bobcat. It has a manual clutch for engage and free spool with a brake pad to stop the drum from spinning out of control during free spool causing a rats nest. Mine came from a wrecker truck and had a divider in the center of the drum which I removed. It was hydraulic drive with a u-joint. The gear motor tied up so I designed an adapter and made a direct drive coupling. I can stall it out but the gearmotor which is a Parker is fairly small. I don't worry about breaking anything because of that. It has 150' of 3/8" stainless aircraft cable on it and I'm sure it would hold 250' easily.
Parts are readily available on eBay to rebuild it.

Brent

Walnut Beast

mike_belben

I like it but i also wish you had a cable catcher screen of some sort.. I know its probably never gonna break but still.  It would be horrible to eat a face full of frayed wire at 200mph.  Please consider it.  

What model bobcat?  Wheel or track?
Praise The Lord

DbltreeBelgians

Quote from: mike_belben on December 09, 2020, 07:51:34 AM
I like it but i also wish you had a cable catcher screen of some sort.. I know its probably never gonna break but still.  It would be horrible to eat a face full of frayed wire at 200mph.  Please consider it.  

What model bobcat?  Wheel or track?
Yes it does need some sort of screen. That's as important as guards on a band mill. It's always a work in progress.
It's mounted on a 2006 S-250 Bobcat wheeled machine
Brent

Thank You Sponsors!