iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing season begins

Started by Magicman, January 19, 2010, 05:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

No more excuses.  It didn't rain today and was above 50o..... :)  I've been off a month and folks are stopping me and asking "when"  ???

I had to start with an ugly White oak, but ugly has to be sawed too.

Stopped for lunch, and my new FF hat came in.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

southpaw

Congrats MM  8), I have project that I need to saw for I found out about today. Looking for a day or two like you had and I'll be there too.  ;)

ohsoloco

I prefer to saw when it's below 50 degrees  :)

woodmills1

nice work magic

over 32 would be nice here
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

poor farmer/logger

Always nice to get started again. We fired ours up here the other day. Been in a deep freeze for so long but it finally broke and got up above 32 again. Don't know how much longer it's goning to stay though. Probably be 30 below again before to long. Probably the day before we go back to the bush it'll turn nasty again.

Is that a variety of pine in the background that's standing? Looks like our Jack Pine up here but 100 times better.

Ryan

captain_crunch

Magicman
Ya can't make sawdust setting on butt showing off new hat ;D ;D ;D (cant help it just the way I am and please leave out the part about educated donkey in reply) :D :D
P_F_L
Guess liveing in Oregon has spoiled me about trees so I have to ask where are they in pic :) :)
Here is a pic of Kristen (Crunchette as she was known as on RP mag) standing in a few trees
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

fishpharmer

Magicman, you slacker, about time you tightened up. ;) :D :D ;D ;D

The last two days have been awesome. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Coalsmoke

Good to see that you're back at it. It has been so slow up here lately. Was working 80hours / week up until November, then 60hours until week before Christmas, I took the Christmas to New Years week off, and so far in January I think I have put 6 hours on the mill  :-\

Captain Crunch, I'll only say this once, "Nice wood you got" :o  :D
Visit Coalsmoke's website at www.coalsmoke.com

2008 Norwood Lumber Mate 2000 with Honda 20HP engine.
White 2-60 Field Boss > 65HP Tractor with loader.
Husky Chainsaws 353 and 395XPG heavily modified.
Loving wife who endorses all of the above :)

DanG

Those are some mighty pretty trees there, Captain Crunch, but I didn't see one laying on the mill. ;) ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ladylake

That log is pretty compared to the ones I sawed yesterday.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

Quote from: poor farmer/logger on January 19, 2010, 10:43:06 PM
Is that a variety of pine in the background that's standing? Looks like our Jack Pine up here but 100 times better.  Ryan 

Loblolly Pine

Quote from: captain_crunch on January 20, 2010, 01:19:45 AM
Magicman  Ya can't make sawdust setting on butt showing off new hat ;D ;D ;D

I thought about that, but I was alone and had to prop the camera up.  If I stood up, it cut my head/hat off......maybe a good thing.... ;D :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

The sun poked out for a bit while I was loading these logs up. Speeking of sitting on you butt, this tree was a bit over 40" on the butt.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

captain_crunch

Backwoods Sawyer
Now where did you get that endangered species chunk of wood ;D ;D Now if you don't want to come clean I can understand it :D :D Been from Winston to Coos Bay over 42 lots of times (I work for Watermasters) and we have several Kinitco filters scattered from Strickland Creek to CamasValley and Coqeiel(cant spell for sour you know what) Love the drive over the mountain. I live 9 miles North of Curtin on Territorial so we are almost neighbors
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Samuel

Quote from: Magicman on January 19, 2010, 05:59:53 PM
No more excuses.  It didn't rain today and was above 50o..... :) 

Good lord above 50 F?  :o That there T-shirt and short weather my friend.  Did you not say it is still hunting season there>  That ugly log could have waited.   :D
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

Coalsmoke

Was 55*F here the other day, sunny and warm,  8) 8)

Coalsmoke

Backwards, that's a real nice piece of wood. Stuff that big makes me cringe because I know how much work is involved just to make it fit on the mill, but the boards are soooooooo nice. You'll have to give us a couple of sawing photos when it goes through the works.

Magicman

Backwoods,  looks like it took some chainsaw "butchering" to get it down.  You gonna saw it on your LT70?

fishpharmer

Backwoods, my mill is made for stuff like that. ;D

I tried to buy two 8 ft oak logs that were on a fellas truck.  It looked like your setup.  He wanted $500 a piece.  I said "Thanks, but, No thanks".  I was glad they were too much for me after I thought about not having a good way to move them around.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

poor farmer/logger

You guys don't know how spoiled you are with them trees CC.lol.. That is if they'll let you cut them now. Just these last couple of years that they've let us cut some real nice stuff for a change. Otherwise it's had to be a burn before we could get at the good stuff.

Thought they were pine magicman, never heard of that variety before though.

Ryan

backwoods sawyer

This is the smallest of the trees straight across the road from the new fire station in Camas Valley. The landowner may take down the other four before he brings in a new house. I am not looking forward to milling the big one.
Anyone in the area got a swing blade?
The butt log is pushing 7' DBH on that one. I will be real glad to see that old tree come down, it is grayer then I am and shedding 7" limbs on my side of the fence right close to my mill.
I milled up the smaller log this afternoon and got over 400 bft out of it, I will mill up the butt log in the morning.
captain_crunch stop in on the way by sometime, or at least slow down and toss a rock my way so I know you went by.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

backwoods sawyer

As you can see the four trres on the right are old and gray, the tree on the left is young and green.

After taking some time to round up the butt log it went on the mill.

The it was rounded up with the mill.

The jacket boards were removed.

Needed a few 4x4s so the whole log did not go to 2x6s.

This is the stack of wood from them two logs.

Coalsmoke

Nice pictures, hydraulics saved the day by the looks of it.

Magicman

Now, that's what I wanted to see...... 8)

sigidi

Nice log haul there backwoods - I'd be like a pig in the proverbial if I got one of them every week
Always willing to help - Allan

gdingee

Been sawing a few afternoons here in New Brunswick with temperatures of -10 C or so. Beautiful sunny afternoons, crisp air, crunchy snow under foot and a fire in the woodstove outside in the yard. Feels good!!

Thank You Sponsors!