iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Favorite 'leave' trees for wildlife ?

Started by chain, July 04, 2012, 09:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

Here are mine: 

1. native pecan--woodducks, turkeys, squirrels, deer, raccoons, Black bear, woodpeckers, crows.

2. Persimmon..Soft mast but in years of plenty a great early fall wildlife attractor.

3. Black gum...In years of production important late winter food for trukeys, many others.*

4. Post oak....Also, at least in our forest, turkeys, deer, scrounge heavily for these acorns.

* Most all our large black gum are den trees.

Chuck White

Here, we like to leave a few Thorn Apples.

They are a favorite of the Roughed Grouse, Turkey, Deer, Squirrels, and more.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

clww

Not a tree, but I'll add Autumn Olive. Grouse like those, too.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Shotgun

Grouse may like autumn olive, however, it's a very(!) invasive plant in Michigan.  AO is on my kill list on any property that I own, have control of, or that I can convince the owner to do the same.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Jeff

My cousins made the mistake of planting Autumn Olive at the old farm on the edge of one of the open areas. There are no longer the open areas.

I would say in Michigan one of the great wildlife leave trees would be Beech.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Shotgun

Quote from: Jeff on July 04, 2012, 11:29:02 AM

I would say in Michigan one of the great wildlife leave trees would be Beech.

I agree with you, Jeff, although American beech is under seige in the Upper Peninsula's maple/beech forests by beech bark disease.  They're going fast.  It's like the dutch elm disease of beech trees.  It's sad.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Ron Wenrich

For some guys, its any tree that doesn't have any current commercial value. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

MHineman

Shagbark Hickory and Beech.  Kill all Autumn Olive.  They will take over fast.
1999 WM LT40, 40 hp 4WD tractor, homemade forks, grapple, Walenstein FX90 skidding winch, Stihl 460 039 saws,  homebuilt kiln, ......

chain

We've slowly converted our hedge from all Autmn olive to other hedge types, however, the Rough-leafed dogwood is very aggressive also. I believe our  seedlings came with a "windbreak or wildlife bundles' from MDC. This species is noticeable presently along the ditch-banks and hi-way fences indicating the seed is spread by birds. Also spreads by underground stems forming a thicket fairly quickly.

Importance of this Rough-leafed dogwood and also Flowering dogwood..as in Medicinal uses, the wood is known to contain a highly active antibiotic substance that is effective in preventing tooth-decay and other ailments. Forty species of birds are known to eat the fruit.

We leave the Dogwood so long as not in row- crop or crop-tree areas.

davidlarson

I think we're too far south (western North Carolina, between Boone and Asheville) to be in the primary range of autumn olive, but a friend who lives on his farm in eastern Ohio, near Athens, spends a lot of time and energy (and money) eradicating this plant, which he considers (I believe correctly) as a noxious non-native invasive plant.
Foresters have taught me to leave some den trees (standing dead trees) when I am collecting firewood, but to cut down dead trees near trails or wherever else people might be, for safety reasons -- so they don't fall on those people.  Collecting firewood from trees close to the trails is easier than retrieving it from deep in the woods, anyway.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!