iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

jonsered 2252/husqvarna 545 that bogs? electronic carburator problems??

Started by ry597, October 14, 2019, 02:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ry597

i went to my local chainsaw dealer and noticed that they had a clearence going on. i got a good deal on a leftover jonsered 2252 which is the same as a husqvarna 545 i believe? so i haven't even ran a tank into it. its brand new, i went to try it the other day. it would run good wide open throttle but it would rich out at idle. if i would let it idle long enough it would eventually stall. it also bogs real bad when cracking open the throttle. it will bog and then pick up its rpm like if it would be flooding itself when left idling or maybe a lean condition? the saw is brand new... it leaked a bunch of bar oil onto my bench, is it even worth keeping??

sawguy21

Did the dealer set it up before leaving the store? I wonder if it sat on the shelf for months with gas in the tank. Take it back and let them deal with it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

caveman

I have a couple of 545's and it takes them a few minutes to adjust to the temperature and humidity but then they start easily, idle right and cut fast for  small saws as long as the chains are sharp.  The dealer should make yours right or replace it.
Caveman

Pine Ridge

I agree with caveman and sawguy, take it back to the dealer and let them deal with it. Should be a very nice saw when they get it running right.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

ry597

not sure if its covered. i bought it in the middle of the summer. haven't got a chance to use it until now. at the dealership they placed husqvarna ethanol free gas. they ran it until hot and said that it ran ok. it sat for about 3 months in my shed. i hat to crank it about 17 times to start it. ran it about 2-3 minutes. turned it off and ran it again. it ran the same in every circumstances. i would like to try and fix it myself if not i guess ill have to send it to the shop. i forgot to mention, when at full rpm under load it sounds like its missing. 

ChrisRoss

Take it back. They should deal with it.They should fix it or replace it.

Allar

Hey Ry597.

I bought mine used (~50 hours) 2017 model and it had exact same symptoms. Luckly it still had warranty so i went to a dealer.
They ended up replacing the carburetor and it has ran fine ever since.

Mine has never leaked bar oil.
All you can do is bring it back to your dealer and explain the issues that you're having with it.

Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

ry597

oh really? found my receipt and it says that i bought the longer warranty. what a relief lol. i will bring mine today to see whats wrong. the bar oil that leaked was maybe the oil that was on the side cover and in the bar since it sat for around 2 months. there is still about 3/4 of bar oil left in the tank. if i was leaking i suspect that there would be none left. thanks everyone for their opinion!

ry597

**update** some models have recalls. mine didn't but it still went under warranty. will update you one more time when i get the saw. curious to see what went wrond, on these electeonic carburators they still have diaphrams. the only difference between a normal carburator is that instead of the ajustements screws. their is small valves that lets the right amount of fuel pass. very simple concept.

KEC

There is a set of specific steps to follow to start and run this saw which has autotune. The dealer should explain it. I like mine, but it's finicky about starting. Also, you're supposed to run it full throttle and it takes a while to achieve its best preformance.

Allar

At some point they changed the top cover, the new one had a slot in it to aid in cooling. Not sure if this was the case with Jonsered aswell.
Anyway imo Jonsered 2252 is such a sexy looking saw, wish mine was Jonsered   :(
Keep us posted.

Pine Ridge

Quote from: Allar on October 18, 2019, 02:36:42 AM
At some point they changed the top cover, the new one had a slot in it to aid in cooling. Not sure if this was the case with Jonsered aswell.
Anyway imo Jonsered 2252 is such a sexy looking saw, wish mine was Jonsered   :(
Keep us posted.
My 2014 model 550xp has the old style top cover like you mentioned. After looking at the internet i found a picture of the new cover with the slot in it. I copied the slot in mine, i drilled 4 small holes in the top cover then carefully cut it out with a sharp pocket knife, then finished it with a small flat file, you can't tell it didn't come like that from the factory unless you knew better. I pulled the muffler and drilled 3 holes beside the exhaust port then reinstalled the spark arrestor, can't see the holes i drilled, spark arrestor hides them. I also put some reflective tape on the underneath side of the top cover over the muffler. This little 550xp screams and is fun to cut with,  when ry597 gets his 545 back and its running right he will be very pleased with it i think.

ry597

update. got the saw back. bought ethanol free husqvarna gas and ran it so the carburator would be full a ethanol free gas for storing it this winter. to my suprise it ran almost the same...when it gets hot i have to place it on high idle or else it would not start on its own. when leaving it idle and punching the gas it bogs real bad almost the same sound like if you would have a pinched bar. it runs real porly under load, its missing up top and not running clean at all. curious to see if they even did anything to the saw. my experience with autotune is not going very well.

Pine Ridge

I would take it back to the dealer again under warranty, fix it or replace it, something is not right with it.

ry597

so i now know that they replaced the carburator and put a new one under warranty. they installed the latest carburator and flashed a new tune. im  lost, maybe its because its new. they're constantly ajusting in their first tanks of gas. im guessing when i break it in,it will run better.

Pine Ridge

I've run husqvarna autotune saws for several years, mostly 550xp and 562xp. All of them i've run either run right or there was something wrong with them. They would get stronger after they were broke in, but if your 545 is acting up this badly it won't change when its broken in, something is still not right.

Allar

Fast idle is the way how these saws are supposed to be started once they warm.
You need to bury the saw into wood and run it at wot for a few minutes so the carb can adjust itself.
Some dealers suggest to cut  5 cookies with wot from big log.

Andyshine77

Quote from: ry597 on October 31, 2019, 04:34:23 PM
so i now know that they replaced the carburator and put a new one under warranty. they installed the latest carburator and flashed a new tune. im  lost, maybe its because its new. they're constantly ajusting in their first tanks of gas. im guessing when i break it in,it will run better.
Return the saw, get you're money back. I have been dealing with these saws for awhile now, when I say these saws I mean this series including the 550xp. They had so many issue including huge QC and design problems. If the correct updated carb "not the same model it had" was installed the saw likely has an air leak, probably the transfer cover seals, the dealer should have preformed a vacuum/pressure test when he had the saw, but most dealers are worthless. I will also guess the saw has an old build date as the saws after say 2017 had dozen or more updates that fixed many of the problems. The AT system should adjust within a matter of seconds of running, the older 576 with Gen one AT took some time to figure themselves out, that's where the running the saw in a big log came from. The 545 should run fine after making a few normal cuts. Plugging the decompression and opening up the muffler will help with the hot start issues, if the cover doesn't have the added vent on the side you can add the vent hole.

Here is my 550 on it's first run after having a new carb, intake boot, and new software installed. Plus I had to seal up the transfer covers that were leaking. Keep in mind all this was required on a brand new saw that wouldn't run right out of the box. I ported it while I had it apart as well. You can see with the new software and carb it took a cut or two to adjust than really well.

Husqvarna 550xp, with new AT12 carburetor. - YouTube

Andre.

ry597

thanks alot! the guy who works at the shop knows his stuff pretty well. he updated the software to the latest version and put the newest version of the carburator that was available. it was an old build date. one of the first models to come out. what would you recommend me doing? from now on i will work on it myself. i have very good knowledge when it comes to saws. no need to send it out to the dealer everytime. right now the bigest log that ive got is like a foot in diameter. i cut cookies off of it for a while. the carburator didn't seem to ajust itself. in a 12 inch log it had the chance to ran wot for a few seconds each cut. the dealer said the same thing, that its normal for them not starting on its own. 

btulloh

Forgive me, but why would you keep a new saw that has never run correctly?  I'm just having a hard time understanding why you don't just return it as defective. 
HM126

Andyshine77

If he's good why isn't the saw running correctly? Being an early build date is not good, it could take quite a few parts to get it running correctly, and after that you still have a saw that will not be reliable long term. I'm pretty sure the saw has an air leak, but the coil could also be part of the problem. My advice is to not even mess with the saw and return it, it's defective and will likely never run as it should. The early saws should have been recalled, Husqvarna lost a lot of business because of the issues associated with the 5 series saws. smiley_beertoast    

Andre.

ry597

because it was bought earlier this summer and you have only 90 days to return it i believe. i bought the extended warranty so i am still able to get warranty out of it but i can't return it.

Allar

Can you take a look at the carb and see what model it is, the model number is stamped on the carburetor.
The thing with 545/550 is that the problems they have/had were nearly always related to carburetor.
And because of Autotune there's not much you can do about it.

Andyshine77

Quote from: Allar on November 02, 2019, 10:36:29 AM
Can you take a look at the carb and see what model it is, the model number is stamped on the carburetor.
The thing with 545/550 is that the problems they have/had were nearly always related to carburetor.
And because of Autotune there's not much you can do about it.

The AutoTune system is not the cause and as far as I know never been. Air leaks and bad carbs, coils and numerous othera.
Andre.

Andyshine77

Quote from: ry597 on November 02, 2019, 08:28:15 AM
because it was bought earlier this summer and you have only 90 days to return it i believe. i bought the extended warranty so i am still able to get warranty out of it but i can't return it.

The dealer should allow you to return it, or replace it as it's defective and still under warranty. It will likely never run right, and even if it does not for long. Honestly he shouldn't have even sold the saw, as these saws had known problems, he knew what he was doing and just hoped it would run long enough. Contact Husqvarna directly and see what they do. I believe that saw should have an AT1B carb now, don't hold me to that I know the 550 and the 6 or so different carbs that saw has had in it's life span.

For now I advise you to stop running the saw until it's at least had a vacuum test. Sorry to say but a little bit of research before hand could have saved you from a lot of frustration and money.✌
Andre.

Thank You Sponsors!