iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fuel mixture for older sawsf.

Started by DaveP, November 17, 2019, 07:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveP

Some of the older saws called for a 20 to 1 or 32 to 1 mix.  I have been told that with the new oil we now use that they will run on 50 to 1.  Has anyone had the courage to try this?
I have a few older saws around here that still run good and have always mixed the fuel as recommended.  For my everyday saws I mix 40 to 1.
                            Davep

lxskllr

While I don't have first hand experience, I'd use my normal mix in the old saws, which is ~40:1. As you said, oil is better now, and I just couldn't be bothered. A can(or 3) of straight gas, and a can(or 3) of mixed fuel is as complicated as I want to get. I wouldn't enjoy having two or three different blends, and remembering what goes with which saw. I /might/ consider a special mix if I had some really special antique I brought out on special occasions, but for just an "old" saw, I'd just as soon blow it up than have to keep track of the fuel.

Southside

I doubt those guys selling you the oil will pay to fix your saw if it gets damaged by being too lean.  Even with my new 372's which call for 50:1 I run my mix somewhere between 32:1 and 40:1 and have had no issues as a result.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rubberfish

Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

hersnsh#590

An old saying, somewhat applicable:  "Oil is cheaper than parts."
TK 1600, small sugaring operation, a bench full of J'reds, a tired ford 1710, new to us JD 5065e, 2 Honda 4 whlrs, a Can-Am 580 on tracks, and a very understanding wife.

Al_Smith

Yahoo the oil wars again .I knew it would reappear sooner or later . 8)

Southside

And I am going to throw some fuel onto that fire.....my mix oil for years has been outboard injection oil I buy in gallon jugs.... :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Southside, I've used top quality saw oil, I can't remember the spec, and had bearings come apart and other failures. So I can't argue with someone that is running Super Tech Tcw-3 outboard oil and has good service life🤷🏽‍♂️

Southside

I always figured if it was good enough for a $30K outboard engine then it was good enough for my $1K saw.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

ZeroJunk

I have been running 50 to 1 in a couple of old Lawn Boy mowers for at least 20 years, 32 to 1 for maybe 10 years before that.

If they ever wear out I'll let ya'll know.

Al_Smith

Alright already,the oil is better these days .How on earth those old McCullochs ever held together using 30 WT motor oil at 16 to 1 must be a miracle . :D Come to think about so did the old Mercury outboards ,hmm.----I better shut up I feel an ornery  streak coming on-----

barbender

Al, sometimes I think the Russian troll farms have got onto the fuel/oil ratio issue for some reason, and thi k it is a good spot to show discord for some reason. With some of the random folks the topic seems to bring out of the woodwork, this is the only explanation that makes sense to me😁

beav

I used to run outboard 2 stroke oil in my chainsaw until I found out there is a major difference between oil for water cooled engines and air cooled engines.
I have a gallon or two if anyone wants it..

gspren

Quote from: beav on November 18, 2019, 04:14:34 PM
I used to run outboard 2 stroke oil in my chainsaw until I found out there is a major difference between oil for water cooled engines and air cooled engines.
I have a gallon or two if anyone wants it..
My outboards are now 4 stroke so I used up the extra 2 stroke outboard oil by adding to my older diesel tractor, didn't seem to hurt anything. As to my chainsaws, weed-eaters, blowers, etc. they all get approximately 40-1 regardless of age.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!