iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Refreshing a saw: cleaners

Started by moose207, November 23, 2019, 06:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose207

Hello everyone, I got a new to me ms440 and i plan on replacing the few broken or warn pieces but wanted to freshen up the plastic covers and tank handle While I'm at it. 
What do you all recommend for a cleaner?

I have seen people use super clean but I can't get that in my neck of the woods without ordering it. Could I use purple magic or simple green?
Ms270c (18"bar), ms440 (18" bar)

ManjiSann

Quote from: moose207 on November 23, 2019, 06:43:47 PM
Hello everyone, I got a new to me ms440 and i plan on replacing the few broken or warn pieces but wanted to freshen up the plastic covers and tank handle While I'm at it.
What do you all recommend for a cleaner?

I have seen people use super clean but I can't get that in my neck of the woods without ordering it. Could I use purple magic or simple green?
Simple green will eat aluminum so be careful how you use it. If it's really bad you could use a bit of diesel fuel, it shouldn't damage anything.
Brandon 
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

Two Trax

I stay on top of my saws including cleaning. I use a product called "Awesome". Get it from Dollar General, around $3 for 1/2 gallon. Use it straight in a spray bottle. Spray it down and use a paint brush after blowing off the saw with compressed air. Have never had it hurt anything, unlike Super Clean Purple Power Cleaners. Use it on the wheels/ tires on my vehicles too among other things.
Livin the dream!

thecfarm

No Motor Supply near ya? They have Purple Cleaner,we buy it by the gallon and we don't dilute it,that stuff will clean. Parts Master is the brand name
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Allar

I use isopropyl alcohol, works really well to clean off the spruce sap/pitch.
Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

Firewoodjoe

I just bought another saw. Couldn't believe how dirty it was. I used hot water and dish soap after I disassembled it. But I still couldn't get it all in the cracks and tight spots. I may try power washing it. Can't belive it would hurt it.

ZeroJunk

I use Gunk engine cleaner myself. Let it set a few minutes and wash it down with a garden hose.

realzed

With my Stihls I always use either or both Castrol Super Clean or generic parts store CFC-free aerosol brake cleaner or both depending how much and what kind of gunk in involved.. 
 The brake clean works really good for baked on grease/wood sawdust crap and the Super Clean has proven to be great on the plastic parts.  I've never had any issues with either attacking the plastics or aluminum parts but I don't soak the bits in either stuff nor do I ever have to anyway.  
The aerosol spray works good and fast and the power spray from the nozzle or using the little tube that usually comes with it, blasts away and makes short work of most stuff normally, and if not, brushing or scrubbing loosens everything and a 2nd blast washes away whatever remains after the extra work has loosened up the stubborn bits.  
I always use a rounded parts cleaner type brush to get in the hard to reach areas and smaller 'pipe cleaner-type' types on really hard to reach areas and between the 2 types pretty much everything stubborn or hidden gets done!  
Note: I make no claims that either won't harm your own particular saw bits - as your own results may vary.. test beforehand on a small hidden area of plastic prior to using heavily, to verify'..

moose207

I found super clean at Walmart even though online it said it wasn't in stock. Got a spray bottoms mixed it 2:1 with water. Got a cheap pack of firm toothbrushes and will give that a try.

Firewoodjoe

Brake clean will hurt stuff for sure.

lxskllr

sawguy21

I have tried it with mixed results. Simple Green has worked the best for me, I spray it on and let it soak then go over it with a stiff bristled brush. Pine pitch is the worst I have encountered along with tar.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

realzed

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on November 24, 2019, 07:31:39 PM
Funny - well not really, that I've never had any issues in all my own experiences.. using it.
Your results "may have varied" - if in fact you have indeed tried it!

moose207

I'm not sure what the black spotting on the covers are but it's not coming off that's for sure.

Al_Smith

I don't abuse them but I don't make love to them either ( play on words not to be taken literally ) .Usually a blast of compressed air gets the job done .WD 40 is a good solvent otherwise .

ZeroJunk

I don't care about the stains. But, usually when I clean a saw it is for a rebuild, intake boot, or whatever.
They all end up with a coat of oil and saw dust mix since people in general never clean them or even blow them off.

409, Fantastic, Simple Green or Purple or whatever are all the same. You have something to lower the surface tension of water as in detergent, and you have solvents as in kerosene,  WD-40, gasoline, or whatever. Starter fluid actually works pretty good.

Pure CFC was a good de-greaser back when you could get it, but that ship has sailed.

Air Lad

Good old fashioned kerosine gets some of the grime moving
Leave it soak on the stubborn bits then blast off with a water hose then compressed air blast dry
Black spotting may be stain from the sap in the wood the saw was cutting also I have seen poor operators use old engine sump oil in the bar tank. No No No

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: realzed on November 25, 2019, 05:50:36 AM
Quote from: Firewoodjoe on November 24, 2019, 07:31:39 PM
Funny - well not really, that I've never had any issues in all my own experiences.. using it.
Your results "may have varied" - if in fact you have indeed tried it!

I'm glad u haven't hurt anything. But yes I have used it. Any polycarbonate window it will bubble. Most any plastic it will get softer and took the paint off a old aluminum Husqvarnia crank case. They do make "safer" formulas. Maybe I buy to good of stuff 😂

realzed

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on November 27, 2019, 05:32:17 AM

I'm glad u haven't hurt anything. But yes I have used it. Any polycarbonate window it will bubble. Most any plastic it will get softer and took the paint off a old aluminum Husqvarnia crank case. They do make "safer" formulas. Maybe I buy to good of stuff 😂
I used it on an 026 extensively that was for years never cleaned before I acquired it and aside from dings, scratches, and stuff that could or would never be rectified, except by replacing with new parts - it came out looking decades newer and cleaner..
I have used it on a newer 261CM and my older 038 string trimmer as well as my brand new 800X blower when any of these had parts that couldn't be cleaned using Super Clean (which I actually prefer - but the drying time is obviously messy and a lot slower) without any issues - but again I don't soak stuff in it - nor is it necessary to have to, since it works fast AND easy..
So - maybe you are correct in that the stuff you buy or have used is far too good!    ::) :)

donbj

Have never had to use anything more than good ol' compressed air. Just keep it from going where it shouldn't. Cheapest stuff around.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Al_Smith

:D You have to laugh at this stuff if you have a sense of humor which some don't. In the past I got on a kick of restoration attempting to make them look factory new .I just used brake cleaner or starting fluid as a solvent which worked just fine.No need to be concerned of harming the plastic because those old McCulloch, Homelite and Lombards didn't have any plastic .Brad S who does great restoration work put them in the dishwasher . 8)

They looked real spiffy but really all that paint didn't make them run any better .What ever lays your ears back or floats your boat as they say . ;D

ESFted

You guys!  If you're gonna do it, do it right. Everyone needs a vapor honing set up!;D

Vapor Honing - Jay Leno's Garage - YouTube

S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

mredden

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 24, 2019, 11:15:17 PM
I have tried it with mixed results. Simple Green has worked the best for me, I spray it on and let it soak then go over it with a stiff bristled brush. Pine pitch is the worst I have encountered along with tar.
I try not to cut pine unless it falls on my property. Unfortunately, that has happened several times in the last few years - but that's why I keep the poulan 5020. It's one sticky, ugly EDITED BY ADMIN KNOCK IT OFF.

ZeroJunk

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 28, 2019, 09:43:42 AM
:D You have to laugh at this stuff if you have a sense of humor which some don't. In the past I got on a kick of restoration attempting to make them look factory new .I just used brake cleaner or starting fluid as a solvent which worked just fine.No need to be concerned of harming the plastic because those old McCulloch, Homelite and Lombards didn't have any plastic .Brad S who does great restoration work put them in the dishwasher . 8)

They looked real spiffy but really all that paint didn't make them run any better .What ever lays your ears back or floats your boat as they say . ;D
You have to be careful with the dishwasher. I cleaned an 056 Mag II that way and it took all of the paint off of the metal decals.
I suspect liquid dish washing detergent might not do that, but I have been afraid to try on anything with painted on metal decals.

Al_Smith

Say I saw some stuff on the net they use to buff the plastic on newer  car head lights .I'm not interested in polishing up the plastic on saws but some might be .Might be something to look into .

Thank You Sponsors!