iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shop Fun

Started by Larry, June 10, 2004, 03:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

A few years ago I was asked to reproduce a 10' tall round tapered porch column for an Victorian mansion.  "Sure no problem" I said.  Think I cut 18 tapered stave's with the appropriate miter cuts.  Took twice as long as I had planed.  Got three helpers for the glue up and said we would be done in 4 hours.  After 4 hours my helpers deserted me and I got the glue up completed in three days.  The column ended up being perfect but I said I would never make another one. :(    

Time heels all wounds and I keep getting asked about making column's so decided to give it another shot.  Got a guy pushing me for a pole to use on a spiral staircase.  Found the birds mouth joint which I guess has been in use by boat builders for years to make sailboat mast's, spars, and booms.  Figured out how to make the joint with a table saw.  Since it was raining this morning figured it was a good day to try it out with scrap pieces and see what happens.

I used a 45 degree bit on the shaper instead of the table saw just because it was faster.

Hand plane will take the corners off.  If you want it round fast turn a belt sander belt inside out and run the belt with a drill.

Kathy helped me with the glue up.  The pieces fell into place and we held them together with rubber bands until I got the hose clamps on.  Whole process took maybe 3 minutes and NO alignment problems.  The birds mouth sorta locks all the stave's in place.  I used Titebond but epoxy would be the proper glue. :)

Got all kind of visions now for rollers, flagpoles, bucket's, lampposts, and who know's what else. :D ;D :D

Lee Valley has router bits to make different birds mouth joints if you don't want to mess around with a table saw.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=45160&category=1,46168,46174&ccurrency=2&SID=

Even if you don't want to use the router bits make sure you read the "Instr" link as there are 14 pages with all kinds of good stuff. :P
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Norm

That turned out great Larry.

I keep thinking if I hang around here long enough some of your guys talent will rub off on me.

So far no luck. :D

etat

WOW!, I recently just made some Newell Post for my stairs out of walnut ;D just like that, except for the fancy joinery.  And I thought I'd done something to even get them smooth and put together.  Those are some petty cool joints!!!! :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Fla._Deadheader

Slick Larry. I just saw that joint in a woodworking mag.

Guess I'm dumb, but, can ya 'splain this statement ::) ::)

"If you want it round fast turn a belt sander belt inside out and run the belt with a drill"  ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

Larry:

I gotta ask ya about your shaper.

I have a Makita 1/2" shank router/shaper mounted on a Craftman's Router bench. (Its an awesome bench BTW). Now, I like to use hardwood and I wanted to make some round-over moudlings. I 'tried' to use white ash and its one hard wood, especially when kiln dried. I picked it up at a local flooring plant. I dunno if I tried to take on too much wood at once or what, but I run my piece down through and 'zing!!' , bent that DanG router shaft like a piece of licorage. :D :D I sent the bit back to the manufacturer and suggest they label their packaging about the possibility of the bit getting bent while routing hardwood.

Now I might have tried to take on too much wood at a time, maybe shoulda run the piece through in multiple passes. Is this what you do Larry? Multiple passes?

I like your work Larry, kewl project. I shop at Lee Valley also, can't get nuthin locally.

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Larry

FDH,
3/8" all thread with a rubber bushing in the center.  Chuck one end in the drill and put the other end in a block of wood with a hole in it so you can hold it.  Works good to smooth out something like tool handles but never have used it on bigger rounds.

SD,
Never heard of a ½" router bit bending! :(  Sometimes I take two passes with either the shaper or the router table on account of splinters.  Ash is a good one for that.  First pass is heavy and the second is light to clean up any splinters.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Frank_Pender

Very nice on the joinery, Larry.  It sur has given me some new ideas to work with, :P thanks for sharing. 8)
Frank Pender

SwampDonkey

The metal in the bit must've been too soft I 'spect. Won't order from there again. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks Larry. Great idea. 8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

RavioliKid

Larry,

That is neat! I especially like how you alternated woods so we could really appreciate how you did it.

RavioliKid

SwampDonkey

Here's my Craftsman router shaper table with 1/2 " shank, 2 HP, Makita shaper mounted. Did I say that all in one breath? Has stand and table top, nice  8)

Notice the big red square kill switch?

Thank You Sponsors!