iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to Site

Started by cjstein125, July 31, 2011, 05:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjstein125

Hello All,

I am new to this site so I know I will have many questions for many people!

I am full-time active Army and have just finished my deployment.  Most Soldiers bought cars, trucks, boats...well, I bought a sawmill.  A TimberKing 2000 with my savings!

My degree is in construction which I received at Northern State University.  I taught high school for six years upon my completion of the degree and went full-time Army due to the bad teaching pay in South Dakota.

I have finished six years in the Army and plan on building timber frame buildings on my "retirement" land as the years go by.  As the deployments come and go, I plan on building a few buildings and during my last year in the Army, I will build the house.  By that time, I should have all the "kinks" worked out and know "MOST" of the answers, but not ALL. LOL

I plan on building a smaller storage shed first, that way, I am not paying someone else money to rent storage!  I know I will have many questions and design questions, so, dont be too alarmed if I ask too many questions!   ;D

I see myself building these buildings in this order:

1.  storage shed
2.  shop (wood working and tractor restoration)
3.  barn (which will hold all my tractors, which are the two cylinder green ones ONLY) LOL
4.  And last, but not least, the house will be build last.

I have an idea of what I want to build for each building, but I will not build until I have all the money saved.  My goal in life is NEVER to owe AGAIN!!!  Which feels good!

Chris

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum! Sounds like a great plan. Just be careful when you build that Green tractor barn, you might have a surprise visit from somebody that goes by the name beenthere. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

:D
Welcome to the Forum.

Good for you, and a good investment.

You have come to the right site, and hope you pull up a stump and join in the discussion. Might even find some on cars, trucks, boats, .....and for sure food here.

Location?

Thanks for your service to our Country.

And Go Green Go
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

First, Thank You cjstein125, for your service to our Country, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  It certainly sounds like you have your priorities in order.  Keep posting and sharing your progress.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cjstein125

I am stationed at Fort Hood, Texas.  The place where I plan to retire and build is the Northeast corner of South Dakota.  So all my buildings will have a heavy snow load to protect my green tractors!

List of tractors are as follows...

1.  1930 GP
2.  1936 B
3.  1936 D
4.  1944 B
5.  1952 B
6.  1952 AR
7.  1946 A

I will post pics later on this up coming week!

Thanks!

chris

cjstein125

Hello,

For the many of you that know timber frames, I would like to get my "TOOL" collection started...

So here it goes...

I have the saw mill, which is the big part to this.

I have two big beam saw.

What do you experts / pros recommend that I should also get?!?!

I know that a chain saw mortise for sure.  But what about chisels?  I see so many types, but really dont know what types? So, please let me know.

Thanks! 

Chris

Dave Shepard

I work mostly with hand tools, but I do have a Milwaukee 1/2" drill, the "Hole Hawg". This is my most used power tool, but only if I really need it. I also have a 16" Big Mak circular saw. Typically I use boring machines and hand saws. You could outfit five guys with the money spent on one chain mortiser. I think Jim Rogers has a tool list somewhere, as well as a list of tools for sale. Here is what I am using on a regular basis:

* Framing square
* Combination square
  Big Al layout tool. Very handy for square rule layout
  Chalk line
* Carpenters pencil with hard lead
* Tape measure
* 1 1/2" and/or 2" framing chisels
  3" slick
  1" corner chisel, used occasionally
* Stanley Sharptooth 26" handsaw, about $26 and a very good, fast cutting saw.
+ 60 1/2 block plane
  No. 5 plane, although a No. 4 would be better for tenon and housing work
  N0. 10 rabbet plane, although not a high priority for me
*  3# Garland mallet with rawhide faces
  Stanley 151 spoke shave
  Draw knife
+  1 3/4#-24" and/or 3 1/2#-30" joinery axes
  Stabila torpedo level
+  24" and/or 48" levels
  Vise-Grip quick clamps, 12"
  Wooden wedges and shims for levelling timbers
  Brace and bits, Jennings pattern
  Boring machines, with bits
  3 1/2#-36" scoring axe
  7 1/2' hewing axe
  Jack Sobon's "Build a Classic Timber Framed House" or "Timber-Framed Construction"
  Sharpening gear. You will have to learn to sharpen and maintain your tools. There are many approaches, I believe I've discussed my stuff here or in the woodworking section.

*- Basic tool set
+- Nice additions

This is my idea of a basic tool set. You certainly don't need to get exactly what I have, but it will give you the basic idea. I've probably forgotten a few things which others will remember and add I'm sure. Keep asking questions, it sounds like you have some time to get the details worked, which is good. I didn't go into sharpening in much detail because it's a whole topic in itself. I use DMT diamond stones as well as some Japanese water stones. A piece of float glass and sand paper is another route, which is also a very inexpensive way to go.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Chris,

Thank you for your service to our country.

I'd recommend you include a saw shed and a drying shed for your timbers and lumber.

Herb

Brad_bb

Welcome!
-First, I suggest filling out your profile.  Your location is important when you start asking questions, to know what part of the country you are in so that answers can be geared with that in mind(South Dakota since that is where you intend to build).

-I love timberframing as well.  I highly recommend taking a week long timberframe workshop.  I originally took from from Steve Chappell in Maine, and then took another from Collin Beggs in Idaho.  Both are good for a beginner, but I especially liked Collins because the focus was on hand tool use, which is most applicable to the beginner, and building the basic skills.  These skills will help greatly if you later decide to use any power tools.  Many don't though.  Most people should forget what they think they know about wood working/building and keep an open mind to the timberframe techniques.  I found out that I didn't know how to use a hand saw until Collin showed me the proper technique for a truly square cut.

-Tool source = Jim Rogers on this forum.  He sells antique tools, all good stuff!  Check the For Sale section for his current list of tools.

-Members of this forum are contributing 5.75X5.75X1 wood blocks with our user name, and sometimes species of wood, to the owner of the forums.  see this link https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,18953.0.html
Just scroll through for pics.

Welcome and thank you for your service!  Brad_bb
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!