iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM LT15 - blade tension

Started by wayback40, May 13, 2017, 11:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayback40

Just finished setting up my new WM LT15 this morning and cut the first logs.  I know it is early but was thrilled with it.  One question I have is: after you finish milling for the day do you release the blade tension on your band mill or just leave the tension on the blade?
Wood-Mizer LT15

rjwoelk

I release it everytime i rember too. :D
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

POSTON WIDEHEAD

........and I take the tension off when I go to lunch or whenever I leave for any reason, just in case I don't make it back,
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Kbeitz

I only take  the tension off my blade when I shut down for the winter.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

I release the tension when taking a break for a cup of coffee, or lunch or just a break!

I also, "never" leave the blade on the mill over night!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dgdrls

When I had a bandmill I always de-tensioned and removed the band at the end of the day/end of sawing.

D

Magicman

Quote from: Chuck White on May 14, 2017, 07:36:12 AM
I release the tension when taking a break for a cup of coffee, or lunch or just a break!

I also, "never" leave the blade on the mill over night! 
Same here.  Relieve the blade tension for lunch and Remove the blade at the end of the sawing day.  Always.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

york

I look at it,this way,if the big boys like Wagner Lumber,back off there tension ,at days end,i think i should too....
Albert

wayback40

Thanks for the information.  I will release tension when not sawing.  For those who take the blade off at the end of the day.  I have mine set up in an enclosed barn, does that matter or would you still remove the blade?  I can understand if the mill is setting out but not sure why it would be a benefit if it is enclosed.  But if it is a benefit it will come off at night.
Wood-Mizer LT15

paul case

Mine are inside and they stay on but loose when I can remember.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Each of us make our own decisions based on our sawing market and circumstances: 

1)  I am always portable and leave the sawmill at the customer's location.  So Safety.

2)  I may fully intend to return the next morning, but life happens.  It may rain or things change and it may be several days before I return.

3)  Sawdust accumulates between the blade and bandwheel belt.  This sawdust will slightly rust and discolor the blade plus sorta compress into the belt.

4)  Normal sawing uses a blade every ½ day, so it is ready to come off anyway. 

5)  I always start each sawing day with clean bandwheel belts and a sharp blade.  There is nothing worse that sawing an hour and having to stop and change a dull blade that was ¾ gone when I started.  I would much rather send the blade back to Resharp with an hour's worth of sawing left in it.

6)  Just my work habit.  I take care of the sawmill and the sawmill takes care of me.     
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I feel there is value to keep the metal of the band from touching the metal on the roller guide when not in use but mostly I take mine off every night as a safety precaution even though there is a very low probability of anyone being around it.

My thoughts are "It can't hurt and it might help". If some kid comes up and gets hurt on your unattended mill how will you feel? Make your own decision.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WLC

I always take the tension off when I'm not sawing.  I only take the blade off when I shut it all down for the winter.  I'm not sawing for anyone but myself and my mill stays at home so I don't worry much about safety issues of leaving a band on the mill.  That said, if I were sawing for hire like MM or others the band would come off the mill every time I left the mill unattended.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

YellowHammer

I always take tension off the band when I leave the mill for any period of time, not as much to protect the band, but rather to keep the bandwheel tires from flat spotting and giving me a vibration next time I cut.  Band vibration leads to many unpleasant sawing issues.

Generally, however, I put on a new band at lunch and also at quitting time so I don't leave a band on overnight, anyway.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Darrel

I remove the band at night and put the head in position ready for transport. I have grandkids and I don't want them getting hurt on Grandpa's sawmill. And if the mill is just parked in the yard I have the jacks down on both ends of the mill so that ther is no chance of it tipping and hurting anybody.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Chuck White

Quote from: Magicman on May 14, 2017, 09:05:29 PM
Each of us make our own decisions based on our sawing market and circumstances: 

1)  I am always portable and leave the sawmill at the customer's location.  So Safety.

2)  I may fully intend to return the next morning, but life happens.  It may rain or things change and it may be several days before I return.

3)  Sawdust accumulates between the blade and bandwheel belt.  This sawdust will slightly rust and discolor the blade plus sorta compress into the belt.

4)  Normal sawing uses a blade every ½ day, so it is ready to come off anyway. 

5)  I always start each sawing day with clean bandwheel belts and a sharp blade.  There is nothing worse that sawing an hour and having to stop and change a dull blade that was ¾ gone when I started.  I would much rather send the blade back to Resharp with an hour's worth of sawing left in it.

6)  Just my work habit.  I take care of the sawmill and the sawmill takes care of me.   

Agree with all of Lynn's post, especially SAFETY & RUST!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!