iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Insurance

Started by steveST, May 12, 2003, 03:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveST

I am interested in getting liability insurance for sawing on-site and also property/comprehensive insurance to cover my mill while in travel and/or from damage/theft. Any pointers on where I might get this? I am in PA.
Thanks!

Tom

Steve,
I had no trouble finding property/comprehensive insurance in travel or theft if it was attached to the truck.  Check with your vehicle insurance company.  I use State Farm and they've been good.

Now, liability insurance for sawing on-site is a different story.  Most custom sawyers would like to have some of that and all I've ever talked to are in the same fix I am.  The company's don't want to write it.   I was quoted $10,000 per month by the only company that my wife could find that would offer a quote and she looked for two years to find that one.

Those that we found made no distinction between the large Mega-million board foot mills and my little one man operation.  To them a sawmill is a sawmill, period.  I've given up. I get up in the morning, grab my butt with both hands and push myself out into world.  So far, all I've made is friends. :)

biziedizie

I pay $54.00 a year for liability and that covers me for 3 million. I run the mill as part of my construction company but if I didn't I'm sure the price would be through the roof.

Steve

AtLast

try an underwriter...I got $500,000.00 for $560.00 a year

Fla._Deadheader

Atlast, esplian a little?? I am not familiar with direct dealing with an underwriter??????
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

woodmills1

If you live on at least 10 acres of land check out farm family insurance company.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Danny_S

Hey Steve, I found this link under Norwood's links.

http://www.woodchuck.ca/

I didn't really look into it but that is what they specialize in..Portable mill insurance...
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Mark M

I tried Woodchuck earlier this year and at that time they couldn't write policies in the US but they were working on it.

Mark

biziedizie

Buck I think I called these guys once but for some reason I never used them. Something about the policy didn't sound right to me or something like that.
  Anyways whatcha cutting today?

Steve

Danny_S

I didnt read into that insurance thing, I just seen it and thought I would post it for steve. I just have my chainsaw mounted on the head for now to resaw cedar slabs for siding for my camp. I went and gathered a few parts last night for bandwheel parts... I might go get my spindles tonight.

I started resawing those slabs the other day, works good, made a couple 4x4 too out of a couple of tops buddy had in his slab pile. This is just a temporary thing until I get all my other bandmill parts gathered up. I just wanted to get that siding sawn so it could dry for a while before I put it on. It will look quite rustic on the ole' camp.
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

AJ

Steve,

I had a quote from Swan & Morss for strictly physical damage to the mill, covered theft, fire, vandalism, coverage included during transport and in storage.

I asked for $6,000 coverage for my Norwood, policy was $500 year with $1,000 deductible.  Seems like the policy cost was the same for up to $16,500 coverage.

This did not include liability for myself or any other operator - strictly damage.

Their website is http://www.swanmorss.com/bandsaw.htm

Hope this helps,
Andy

steveST

Thanks for all the info, guys! Keep 'em coming...

I did talk to my agent that carries all my other insurance (home, auto, commercial, etc.) and they said it should not be a problem. We're awaiting underwriting's final word, however. I will advise as to the results.

Standyby...

Thank You Sponsors!