iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lightning Strike

Started by Corley5, August 07, 2021, 09:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Tacotodd

Ouch & DAUMN! Raider Bill, that's some kinda long. Exactly what kind & I'm still gonna be in shock!
Trying harder everyday.

Raider Bill

Top of a nob in se tenn. 
Couple hundred ft of 6" casing and the rest through rock.
I've always felt the guy ripped me off but....
There's a thread on it back on 2007 here so.ewhere unless it was lost in the crash. 

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don P

There's a 400' dry hole behind the house. I told him to pull out and drill where he thought there was water. He hit 30 GPM at 165' about 350' away from the house. We had one house that they drilled 2 500' holes, barely a trickle. They brought in a water witch and he got a strong vibration. Uhh, you're on the septic tank. He kept walking and picked another spot, another 500' minor well. They put pumps in the best 2 but it wasn't that good. I'm working on the second house in the last bit that has an existing well too close to be able to termite treat the foundation, something else to keep in mind.

Raider Bill

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

I think the heating system is toast.  It got hot enough that it melted some of the foam pipe insulation to the fittings.  The layers of pex-al-pex will separate if it gets too hot and be weakened and restrict flow.  This could mean tearing down the ceilings in the basement and first floor to replace the tubing...  I've got a heating and cooling outfit coming to take a look.  A pressure test that I do isn't going to do any good at this point.

Corley5

The well is drilled.  290' and in the same water bearing strata but the layers getting there were much different than the old well 30' away.  It pumped good with the rig.  Tomorrow they'll grout it, set the pump and get it hooked into the house.

sawguy21

Wow, that is some damage! :o I am amazed the whole thing didn't burn to the ground. Lightening hit a transformer less than a mile from where we were working, we had never experienced anything like it and were awed by the power.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Don P

Man, seeing that I'd have a hard time trusting the wiring. You got nailed!

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Tacotodd

It'd drive me crazy in a bad way, just forget that I'm already crazy in a good way ;)
Trying harder everyday.

Corley5

This is how HOT things got.  I was talking to Dee this afternoon and happened to look at the hinges on the door to the stairway.  Those are soot marks.  On a wooden door's hinges.   Further investigation revealed the marks on the front door.  It's steel.  You can see where lubricant cooked out.  Other doors in the house show similar marks but not as pronounced.   We do have running hot and cold water again 

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

:o :o :o
Was anyone home when this happened?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Roxie

Quote from: Corley5 on August 09, 2021, 08:54:19 AM
It could have been so much worse  Dee had been soaking in the cast iron claw foot bath tub moments before impact.  
Yes they were home. This brought back memories of me as a kid heading for the shower and my parents saying, oh no you won't, not during a thunderstorm. They never said why, but I guess they knew a thing or two. 
Mom did tell us that she saw a ball of lightning roll towards dad and knock him over when they lived at the Air Force barracks in Biloxi Mississippi. 
Say when

thecfarm

With all that damage, lucky no one was hurt.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

No humans or canines were injured.  With the water back on we'll see how long the washer, dishwasher, and water heater last.  The heating and cooling place will be out Friday at 3 to evaluate the heating system and the water heater.  Our electrician recommends not closing the claim for 6 months.   The heating and cooling guy says a year.  It took over two weeks to notice the door hinges.

HemlockKing

Quote from: thecfarm on August 25, 2021, 06:11:59 AM
With all that damage, lucky no one was hurt.
Yeah I was thinking the same, I wonder had someone been using the sink or shower it could of shocked them?
A1

Resonator

Wow. Just wow. I would be counting my blessings that the house didn't burn down. :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

beav

They say that lightning never strikes in the same place twice, but I sure would ground the heck out of everything!

Corley5

Don't  talk on the phone during a thunderstorm  ;)

trimguy

I've been following this from the start and don't have any experience, so nothing to offer. But this is CRAZY , all the damage to so many different things. I wish you the best of luck and keep doing updates.

Corley5

Update.  The tub that Dee had been soaking in moments before the strike.  The current cooked the seals in the faucet.  It drips from both the hot and cold side.  If she'd have still been in the tub it would have been really bad.  The clothes dryer is no longer drying well, the dishwasher leaks, the clothes washer throws error codes, the microwave takes 2 minutes to melt a piece of Kraft Cheese, the regular oven is many degrees off to the hot side, and all of us are officially confirmed sick with COVID so we can't get repair people in here for 10 days or more.  steve_smiley steve_smiley arg-smiley arg-smiley whiteflag_smiley whiteflag_smiley    

Thank You Sponsors!