iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dead Dogwood Trees

Started by ron barnes, April 13, 2020, 02:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ron barnes

Good Afternoon,
I have 1 Red Dogwood that was struck by lightning and is dead.  I have 2 native white dogwoods that have always been very pretty.  This year one did not leaf out.  The other leafed out but soon the leaves turned brown and have fallen off.  

My questions are:  What is the best way to save the wood for turning.  I do quite a bit of turning and am considering doing some turkey pot calls using the dogwood as strikers.

If I paint the wood with Anchorseal will that keep bugs out of the wood?

The trees are in Aiken, SC.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Texas Ranger

cut them and seal them, dogwood tends to get stain
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Don P

QuoteThis year one did not leaf out.  The other leafed out but soon the leaves turned brown and have fallen off.
Dogwood anthracnose.

Den-Den

Dogwood turns wonderfully, you will love it.  It is not a stable wood, I recommend splitting the pieces lengthwise through the pith and sealing the ends.  Attempting to dry whole sections will lead to major cracks.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

WDH

Spraying the logs with disodium octaborate tetrahydrate and keeping the sprayed logs undercover out of the rain will keep all beetles and insects out of the wood.  One brand name for the chemical is Timbor. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ron barnes

Thanks for the information.  Greatly appreciated.

Thank You Sponsors!