iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lee Valley cant hook/peavey

Started by Lyndaker, September 25, 2020, 09:46:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyndaker

Anyone have any experience with the Lee Valley cant hook and peavy? I'm also looking at the log rite but like the idea of the 2 in 1 tool. I ordered a swing blade and getting what I need to make it operational. here's the link: 
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/hand-tools/log-building-tools/log-handling/70216-peavey-cant-hook-log-jack?item=48U0255

Thanks 
Arthur 

Jeff

Blasphemy.  This forum ONLY recommends Logrite tools.  Anything else is inferior and does NOT support this forum. PERIOD.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

I would be more inclined to buy the the best which would be a Logrite Cant Hook and then add one of these Universal Log Stands.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scsmith42

Lee Valley makes good tools, but LogRite is the best.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Tom King

I consider Rob Lee to be a friend, but that thing has too many parts to get lost, and it's not something I'd want to fiddle around changing with cold hands.  I like those tools to be something I can just pick up, and use.

Brad_bb

All we can say is, most on this forum use logrite because it's good stuff.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Don P

"As long as you do what you've always done you'll always have what you've always had."

The double tooth design is interesting. It adds weight and either improves function or gets in the way, as do the other bells and whistles. If you do go that route please post back what you think of it  :).

dgdrls

LogRite tools for the logs,

Lee Valley tools after the boards are sawn

D

Magicman

I recently sawed a job for a customer that had a similar tool.

It worked well for raising this ERC log off of the ground so that we could lop the end off and it should also do OK with firewood.  It would have been virtually impossible to roll a log with it.

The Logrite "Universal Log Stand" that I linked to above disconnects from the Cant Hook allowing each tool to be used as they were designed for.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

My experience is that 'compromise tools' that try to do more than one job wind up doing neither job well.
I have 2 cant hooks with a foot. One is removable and I only tried it once then left it off for good. The other has a permanent welded foot and I am considering cutting it off to make it more useful for the one task. I never saw much use for the lifters and Lord knows I have tried to give them a good run. They won't lift the big logs where I would really want to use them and the small logs are a waste of time to lift and cut. I just cut down halfway or more through, then roll the log to finish it off.
As I said, I have two hooks and use the one all the time, but I am still saving up to buy a good Logrite because that is the best tool for the job and I have had too many close calls with the cheaper tools. Whack yourself in the mouth with a cheap cant hook handle once or twice and the choice seems to get clearer. ;D
BTW, I notice that the cost of those 2 Logrite items that MM suggested are actually cheaper than the item you asked about if I read it correctly.
Everybody works different and that is as it should be, but I never found those lifting feet saved me ANY time or effort and have yet to find a good use for them, but on first blush, yeah, I see how they could look handy.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

John S

Stick with Logrite, I have four of them.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

hopm

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

DR Buck

Logrite.... 

No other option is acceptable.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Lyndaker

Well you have all made up my mind for me. :D
I got a Lee Valley peavey. 
Opps, what I mean is, I already have a wood handled one from Lee Valley I used for log building. It broke, so not interested in another wood handled tool. 
If I was wealthy, I would get the new Lee Valley one just to get under everyones skin. But since I"m not, I'll look into Logrite. 
Thanks for your advice/commands.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!