iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Interesting job coming up.

Started by DanG, March 08, 2007, 09:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Jis' what are you trying to incinerate there, Whippersnapper? ???  I guess you think it's innerstin that I'm actually thinkin' about doing a job at all? :D :D :D

FDH, these logs were floaters that washed ashore at a public park.  They were removed by the Goobermint as a potential hazard to navigation, and were enroute to the county dump in a City trash truck.  DNR shouldn't have much griping room there, I would think.

I thought about Palm, too.  We whittled on it with a pocket knife in a couple of places and found hard, dense, dark wood, resembling Walnut. Would Palm be that way?  If it is, would it be worth sawing?  I'm supposed to go up there and cut a couple of cookies from it for table tops, so I guess we'll find out then, eh?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodbowl

QuoteWe whittled on it with a pocket knife in a couple of places and found hard, dense, dark wood, resembling Walnut.

It's starting to sound like aged black gum now.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Fla._Deadheader

I fully understand the situation, DanG. DEP still wants ownership of ALL logs found in water in Fl.  ::) ::)  You KNOW I'm all for sawin them up, just thought a word to watch yer back might be in order ??

I'm not at all familiar with Black Gum. It's just that the outer ring, of sapwood or whatever, looks like several Palms we thought were Dandy logs when we spotted 'em. That stuff growin on the outside is consistant with submerged Palms, also. That heart check looks identical to the Palms we found.  Could it be a Bald Cypress ?? They have lousy Sapwood, and are dark inside ??  That outer ring looks very suspicious.  ::) ::)

TAKE yer Camera, and USE IT  ::) ;D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

metalspinner

Does the responsibilities of any legal ramifications fall on the owner of the log?  I wouldn't think DanG has any resposibility there.  he is just milling someone's wood.  For all he knows, that tree was cut from someone's yard.  It's not like there is a paper trail to follow.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

DanG

Well, these weren't found in the water.  They had floated ashore in a City park during a flood.  The City removed them from their park to prevent them from causing problems in future floods.  I may saw them up, or I may help the guy find somebody with more suitable equipment.  The one thing I ain't gonna do is worry about it.  The State of Florida also lays claim to all oyster shells and other seashells. ::)  Looks to me like DEP and DNR have way too much money in their budgets.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!