iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tensioner gauge problem

Started by GAB, September 20, 2015, 08:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAB

Yesterday, while sawing a piece of black walnut crotch wood it came loose and while I was watching things happened so fast that I missed a lot of it.
Bottom line the blade ended up with two ends, imbeded into the wood.
What also happened is that it affected my blade tensioner gauge to the point that now with no tension in the blade it reads 250.psi.
Question: Is there a way of fixing or adjusting the gauge or is the only fix to replace it.
If I have to replace it does W-M sell a 0 to 4000 psi gauge?  If so what is the part number for it.
Thanks,
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

pineywoods

Seen that happen also. The needle is a slip friction fit on the shaft. Take the glass cover off, pull the needle off, rotate back to indicate zero and push it back on the shaft. Sudden release of all pressure does weird things...When mine did that, it also blew the seal on the output rod of the tensioner..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

bandmiller2

Gerald, probably when something snapped the gear rack in the gauge jumped some teeth. Depending on the quality of the gauge the front ether screws or is pressed on. Take it off and the gauge out of its housing it should be apparent how it works. If its glycerin filled save as much as you can and get a little bottle at a pharmacy to fill. Most good gauges are adjustable for zero. If the gear and rack looks proper as Piney says the needle will pull of the shaft and can be reset to zero, they make a special puller but if your carefull needle nose will work. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Or just remember that 250 = 0.  When I bought my sawmill almost 14 years ago, the "0" was at 200.  It still is and I'm still sawing.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

I have fixed a lot of water and air pressure gauges by backing up the needle and lifting it up and over the stop pin
the little gear will run to the end of the pinion and slip a tooth. then I lift it back up over the stop pin and see if its on zero. If not I back it up again till it's right.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

I am hesitant to try to open the glycerine filled hydraulic gauge which is why I am content to know that my pressure reads 200 higher than it actually is.  In reality, this is not an issue or concern with the blade tension anyway.  Just crank it up.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GAB

Thanks a lot for the replies.  I think I'll just use it the way it is and crank the needle a bit more than I used to.
Again Thanks,
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Chuck White

Probably a good idea Gerald, a Wood-Mizer replacement gage is pretty pricey!  :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Nomad

No need to go to WM for it; any hydraulic shop could sell you one.  But when I had to replace mine I got a better price from WM than I did locally.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Dave Shepard

I think mine reads about 500 with no pressure on it. The same gauge in the hydraulic box reads zero. Some day I will switch them.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!