iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Show us your sign

Started by TexasTimbers, March 09, 2007, 07:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I asked the lady at the corner of my county road and the highway if I could plant a small sign in her yard. We worked out some arrangements and agreed. I had my college part timers trim her hedge row after she hinted she needed some springtime things done etc. She is 80 and could use a little help anyway.
Well, my little sign got to be a bigger and bigger piece of wood as I went fumbling through my stack of slabs and is a little over ten feet long.  ::)

She hasn't seen it yet. I don't know maybe she got a free hedge trimming job after she says my little sign is not welcome in her yard.

I didn't want a perfectly-stenciled letters sign. I wanted a rustic look. I think I got it!

Do you have sign? If so show us ???

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Norm

As a matter of fact I do although I think mine has a different implied meaning. ;D

TexasTimbers

Cedarman

Find out what that lady's favorite pie  is and bring a couple of big slices. Bring one for yourself and sit down with her and chat a spell.  Just an idea.  There will be something that she would enjoy that you could provide.  Make that sign a source of happiness for her.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

beenthere

kevjay
From the photo, the sign could be 6" long, about 2" high, or it could be 6' long, and 10" high. No scale. Sounds like it's big.  :)

I'd suggest routing the lettering, and painting white in the bottom of the rout to bring out the lettering. Seems black on dark wood will not show up well for reading from a car. Could be wrong again tho.  :)

Hope it makes it up. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raphael

SWMBO has a small collection of cast off signs we may use along the driveway...
One of the dangers of eBay.   ;)

Here's the sign for my landscaping business:

Notice anything missing.  :D

Here's the portion I rescued from the snow shortly after the valentines day blast.
It was painted on steel by a professional sign maker, a christmas gift from my Dad in '05.
It's identical in appearance to my previous sign which was painted on plywood that refused to hold the paint.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Don_Papenburg

Oh my gosh , Norm you could not use that sign in ILLinois . The senate rules comy ity just past a assault weapons ban that includes shotguns if they can hold 5 or more  shells. AR15s are to be turned in or you are a fellon and if you have more than 4clips it is life in the big house.  I hope that the full house and senate uses common sence and throughs that one out. 
Anyone in Illinois write ,call or Email your state senator and house member  tell them to vote NO on SB16
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Jeff

This shall not turn into a gun thread.

Mandated by ME.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

This is goint to be a sign someday. I just dont know for what. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

highpockets

We can do a lot in steel or wood but the cnc router is down for the time being

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Bibbyman

The best use I could put a circle saw blade.  ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

TexasTimbers

Quote from: beenthere on March 09, 2007, 10:25:11 AM
kevjay
From the photo, the sign could be 6" long, about 2" high, or it could be 6' long, and 10" high. No scale. Sounds like it's big.  :)
I did say in the post it is a littlee over ten feet long ;) It is 18" tall.

Quote from: beenthere on March 09, 2007, 10:25:11 AM........I'd suggest routing the lettering, and painting white in the bottom of the rout to bring out the lettering. Seems black on dark wood will not show up well for reading from a car. Could be wrong again tho.  :)
Good idea. I did that ;D You can't tell it from the picture but those letters are actually freehanded (that you CAN tell ::) ) with a router.

Cedarman, I hope my monthly contribution to her makes it a source of enjoyment :D

TexasTimbers

Okay beenthere ask and ye shall receive here's the scale shot. That is a ten foot rollup door opening and since I am standing just behind it, it looks a little smaller but is actually the same size.  I also weighed the sign.  It weighs exactly 65 pounds to the ounce.

beenthere

WOW  that sure explains that.............. ;D

Good job and hope she lets you hang it....up.......or jus hold it up when someone comes along....... :)

Sorry I missed the 10' note........something about when I was young............(there's a famous quote here somewhere.........)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

My sign at this time of the year is

go_away

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

johnjbc

My daughter gave us this for Christmas one year. Its made of Cedar and the pattern is cut into it with a Sand Blaster before painting. I think they cut the pattern out of vinyl on a plotter and the vinyl then controls where the Sand Blaster Cuts.

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Thank You Sponsors!