iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where to start?

Started by cbutler703, March 25, 2016, 05:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbutler703

So here I am fresh out of college from doing a sub-diploma in forestry, and wandering what the hell I do next? I'm what they call a mature college student here in the UK, ever since I was 12 my Dad taught me everything about Chainsaws and heavy machinery that he knew! After working with him full time for 2 years when I was 16, I decided it would be best to go and get some sort of qualification to my name! I'm now just 4 weeks from finishing the course and haven't got a clue what to do next! Ive always had a dream of moving to America and finding a loging company to work for, but also a part of me wants to stay here and build my own business up? what do you guys think?

mills

Now that's an open question.  :D

The only limitation you have is yourself. How hard are you willing to work to get what you want? ...and how much risk are you willing to take? I'm assuming that some part of your degree included a course in marketing. Get busy doing the legwork around home. What are your options? Where are the opportunities? In the meantime check job availabilities here in the States, and then learn what steps are needed to get a worker's visa. A lot of decisions make themselves when you have all the information.

Sixacresand

Cbutler 703, Congratulations on completion of your college.  I don't know much about the logging/forestry industry, however the Forum has lots of experienced members.  Hopefully, they will advise you.  I might suggest you try to get a job in the field you enjoy, even if you have to start at the bottom.  I commend your Dad for exposing you to "work".   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Firewoodjoe

Mills I love what you said. "The only limitation you have is yourself". Well said

cbutler703

Sixacresand, That was the deal with the old man, if you wanted to live there you have to work! its funny because on my course there is very few people who have actually done a days work, it especially annoys me when every time you turn round on a practical day half the class are having a break! As the old man always said to me, if your saw aint running the pennies stop rolling!

timberlinetree

Congratulations on finishing school! Only thing I can say about a career and work is " its not work, its having fun and getting paid for it"! Good luck,best wishes and work safe.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!