iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

roll top desk

Started by turningfool, December 27, 2007, 06:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turningfool

heres a pic of my new(to me at least)..courtesy of freecycle..anyway..as you can see by the pic it has a few wear marks on the top of it ..the wood is sound and smooth but the finish is gone..come spring when i can get it outside i want to refinish it any suggestions on products to do so would be greatly appreciated

turningfool

by the way..its solid white oak..no particle board or veneer in this beauty

IL Bull

Do you ned to make a new drawer for the bottom left?
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

SwampDonkey

Strip it down to the wood and use a water based Varathane with a hard finish that won't yellow. Don't know how easy it will be to work on the roll top though. Could be a challenge. Do the ends come apart from the desk or are they jointed solid?

I was going to build one at one time. I changed my thinking and built my butternut desk. But, don't get me wrong I like your desk. I think they are a nice piece of furniture. I just have a lot more room on the desk and shelf system I came up with.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

Freecycle has some good stuff once in a while.
Nice find! 8)

Sprucegum

That is a beaut! Lucky you for finding it  :)

Before refinishing its best if you can determine what kind of finish is already on there.
It looks quite shiny in the pic - is it varathane or varnish? If so you may be able to lightly scuff the top and recoat with a clear gloss.
It has a stain on it so be verrry careful sanding - or you may want to strip the whole thing and start over  :o

turningfool

bull..i have the drawer for it..will probably refinish only the top..everything else on it is in great shape including the roll top

turningfool

sgtmaconga

Measure twice cut once

crtreedude

I don't know much about these things so take whatever I say with a grain of salt. If you aren't trying to do the whole thing there used to be a product called Formby's which would allow you to sort of clean and refinish at the same time. I think it disolved the current finish and then let it set again. We did use it and it did look good. Surely not as good as a complete redo - but if you are only going to do the top, not a bad idea.

Nice desk by the way. I have thought about having one - sort of just roll down on all my junk when I don't want to see it!
So, how did I end up here anyway?

turningfool

will probably go with the varathane come spring..so far i use it for woodturnings and rough out storage..what a waste huh... ;D  have tried formbys in the past and it works great on smaller areas

Haytrader

I'd give a hunerd for it in it's current state of disrepaair.
;)
Haytrader

metalspinner

That is a beautiful desk!  How is the roll top built?  Is it glued to a canvas backing or held together with an interlocking joint?

And what is this "Freecycle" you speak of? :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

turningfool

metalspinner..email me and i'll fill you in on freecycle..the roll top cover is interlocking jointed

turningfool

sanded the old finish off from the top of the rolltop..its gettin there..tis bootiful :o

SwampDonkey

Work away, long winter yet.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!