iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shelf Mushrooms On Black Locust - How Much Life Left?

Started by lxskllr, October 27, 2019, 01:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lxskllr

I have a few black locust right next to my drive. They're all big(One is > 30"dbh), and I never remember them being small. That is to say I think they're reaching end of life. I'm interested in how much time there is to the end. They're starting to sprout shelf mushrooms, and the one closest to the house is leaning towards the house.

I like these trees a lot, but I'm doubting they'll outlast me. The one closest to the house is the best candidate for removal cause the squirrels planted a white oak next to it for me, and It's gotten significant size on it now. Immediate replacement. I don't have pictures, but they get a nice coat of leaves in the spring. Branches die and fall as they do with all locust, but it's perhaps started to accelerate.

I guess the salient facts are old trees and shelf mushrooms. They look /ok/. How quick is the death under these circumstances? Wondering how soon I really need to worry about it, though the house tree may go regardless due to the quality replacement tree.

brianJ

Who cares how much life left?    Take it down before it makes a problem.    You got a replacement started that keeps a nice yard and a bit of time to shop around for the right person &  price to get it down.     

or Am I missing something?

lxskllr

Because I'll be doing the removals, and it would be nice to know how much time I have to get it done. Also, I like them. If I have 10 years of the trees there, that's a 10 year bonus. If health plummets after the mushrooms showup, I'll have to accelerate removal plans. One of them arcs over powerlines. That's not something I'd handle with my skills today, but perhaps in a couple years. I'll likely take care of the house tree by this time next year, do to the lean and the ready to go replacement. The others are on a potentially more flexible schedule.

Don P

Phellinus Robiniae, a white rot fungi that attacks heartwood. Completely unpredictable, and more so as time goes on. You are seeing the fruiting body, that cracked cap polypore mushroom, it doesn't happen till the fungus is well along. The stem could fail tonight, it could be in 50 years but it is gonna happen. You are asking an unknowable question but we all know the ultimate outcome.

Thank You Sponsors!