Central Boiler 750 - not a happy customer - serious issues with cleaning

Started by Bob Lentz, June 22, 2018, 09:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody_88

Quote from: DDW_OR on November 07, 2019, 10:07:24 AM
i use a 3/4 piece of metal conduit about 6 feet long
i bent both ends at 90 degrees
one end has a 12 inch past the bend, the other end has maybe 1 inch

I believe this is what my installer uses/makes/sells. He was explaining  it over the phone last year and I never got a chance to go get one...

Appears to work reallll good at getting in between and up inside the exchanger!

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: DDW_OR on November 07, 2019, 10:07:24 AM
i use a 3/4 piece of metal conduit about 6 feet long
i bent both ends at 90 degrees
one end has a 12 inch past the bend, the other end has maybe 1 inch

i am usually pretty good with imagining this, but in this case i dont get it? but i want to, got any pictures of this tool?

DDW_OR

here is a photo of the fire box end resting on a wheelbarrow
the other end with the short bend is a handle

and the garden hoe i use to do a cleanout when i let the fire die out
note the angle

then i sift the ash through 1/8 inch screen

save the fine ash for the garden
return the larger chunks back to the furnace

"let the machines do the work"

DDW_OR

yes that is a plastic barrel. I do not let any live embers get into it.
the lid is removable and the barrels can stack inside one another
I found them on CL in Oregon
here are the search words i used
55 gallon stackable food grade

"let the machines do the work"

Logging logginglogging

OK, i guess i did picture what you made correctly. Thank you.

I like the sifting idea, that makes for starting up the boiler a lot quicker and easier too.

Bob Lentz

So, last fall i made my dealer take back the 750 that you had to climb into to clean and with the chains, and he brought me a new 750 where we have access to the heat exchanger from the outside on the back-side, no more chains and Stepper motors in place of solenoids. This furnace is a gem to clean and keep operational.  Sooooo much better than the 750.  Obviously there was a design flaw given all the other people who had similar issues and CB Made serious changes to the unit.

Thanks for all the input and feed back!

Bob
eClassic-2400
Triangle Tube Backup (Propane)
Heating 6500 sqft house and small pool

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: Bob Lentz on November 25, 2019, 03:25:38 PM
So, last fall i made my dealer take back the 750 that you had to climb into to clean and with the chains, and he brought me a new 750 where we have access to the heat exchanger from the outside on the back-side, no more chains and Stepper motors in place of solenoids. This furnace is a gem to clean and keep operational.  Sooooo much better than the 750.  Obviously there was a design flaw given all the other people who had similar issues and CB Made serious changes to the unit.

Thanks for all the input and feed back!

Bob
I haven't had any problems with mine, But I burn good season wood and know how to do good maintenance.

bushwacker55

postin here from the middle of alberta. have had a new "wonder furnace" for awhile now. Purchased august 2018 and fired up for the first time in nov 2018.  Only wonder why they call it a furnace, it hung up the week.. so its nothin to do with clean. Ive tried long wood, short wood, stubs, layers of long and short wood, layers of dry wood and greed wood, in hopes the weight would push it down. At the best of times, which is extremely rare, it will run for 3-4 days tops, and then hangs up. sometimes its half full on bottom full of dry wood and the fire goes out. re fire it and away it goes again. you cannot trust this thing to burn, you need someone around daily to push wood down or else it will go out. Luckily, I have a neighbor that has been around to help this last winter and he has had to either re fire the thing or gets there just as temps are falling as the wood is hung up AGAIN. i have tried getting in contact with the dealers and they have been no help whatsoever.  The last and final straw was on friday...out. saturday morning..out. again saturday night..out. sunday morning, low and behold , its out again!  it fires up on the same wood so its not the wood. The furnace is junk at any price and support is nonexistent once they get your money...deliver the thing to the dump and leave it there not worth your time picking the garbage up. 
The furnace is now completely drained, i will not fire up this thing again. going back to dealer for a 6048 that actually works.  4 months old and nothing but grief, pure junk.  So much for reliable heat for paint and drywall (currently building home furnace is supposed to be heating)
Im farther behind then when i started.

woody_88

Quote from: bushwacker55 on March 31, 2020, 12:50:54 PM
postin here from the middle of alberta. have had a new "wonder furnace" for awhile now. Purchased august 2018 and fired up for the first time in nov 2018.  Only wonder why they call it a furnace, it hung up the week.. so its nothin to do with clean. Ive tried long wood, short wood, stubs, layers of long and short wood, layers of dry wood and greed wood, in hopes the weight would push it down. At the best of times, which is extremely rare, it will run for 3-4 days tops, and then hangs up. sometimes its half full on bottom full of dry wood and the fire goes out. re fire it and away it goes again. you cannot trust this thing to burn, you need someone around daily to push wood down or else it will go out. Luckily, I have a neighbor that has been around to help this last winter and he has had to either re fire the thing or gets there just as temps are falling as the wood is hung up AGAIN. i have tried getting in contact with the dealers and they have been no help whatsoever.  The last and final straw was on friday...out. saturday morning..out. again saturday night..out. sunday morning, low and behold , its out again!  it fires up on the same wood so its not the wood. The furnace is junk at any price and support is nonexistent once they get your money...deliver the thing to the dump and leave it there not worth your time picking the garbage up.
The furnace is now completely drained, i will not fire up this thing again. going back to dealer for a 6048 that actually works.  4 months old and nothing but grief, pure junk.  So much for reliable heat for paint and drywall (currently building home furnace is supposed to be heating)
Im farther behind then when i started.
Although it sounds like you have already gotten rid of the "wonder" furnace, did you try adjusting the pulse length and interval? What you explained is EXACTLY what happened to me, and by changing the pulse length to 160 seconds, every 15 mins, I was able to keep it running. I am sorry this caused so much frustration and grief. It sucks. 

boilerman101

Bushwacker, Let me say as a multi year Edge owner/operator they are great! When you operate them how a "gasser" needs to be operated. Burn much less wood and have great features. That furnace came with a DVD showing how to start it up, operate it and maintain it. None of it is hard to do. Large rounds or chunks and/or green wood can hang up or suspend and burn out underneath. If the fire goes out you must go back to creating a coalbed with kindling or yes it can go out. If there is airflow blockage withing the exhaust path it will go out. There is a "sweet spot" of coal bed depth that works best. If it gets too deep it cannot burn down and through which will also make it go out. You must have a "live" coalbed and remaining burning wood to load on. You cannot open door, throw wood in that you cut 2 months ago and close door and walk away with a gasser. If that is what you plan to do then yes buy a traditional Classic stove. Otherwise it is like buying a new Ford Diesel Truck for the extra power and engine longevity, but you burn gas in it anyway because that is what you burned in your old truck and now your new Ford diesel won't run, so therefore Ford builds crap. If you need help and are willing to follow instructions from experienced operators, there are people on this forum that can help. If you just want to vent and blame the furnace or manufacture for your inability to run the furnace you are not helping anybody.

Thank You Sponsors!