iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone own a woodmizer LT15 with 10hp Diesel?

Started by squarpeg, April 19, 2021, 03:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squarpeg

I am looking at a used woodmizer LT15.  It has a yanmar diesel 10hp on it. Which doesn't really bother me but it is a pull start which could be a deal killer. Does anyone have any experience with this motor? 

Magicman

I Googled and found several examples of adding electric start to 10hp Yanmar Diesel engines for less than $100.  My suggestion is to do some investigating to see if one is available for that particular engine.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

I've never been too impressed with really small diesels like that. To be clear, I've never been around a 10 hp Yanmar, maybe it's sweet. But little Hatz and Duetz diesel engines in the 25 hp range were kind of sad. It's not the low hp rating necessarily but less than 3 cylinder diesel, so a twin or single, seem really sluggish. When they get a load applied and pull down the rpms, they are really slow to rev back up.
Too many irons in the fire

Iwawoodwork

I purchase a yanmar single cyl diesel powered brushless welder/generator 225amp at auction.  went cheap so took a chance, boy what a slick portable welder, that little yanmar sat all last winter (4-5 months) and about 3 days ago I started it, fired right up and responds just fine to the governor when arc welding. and very fuel efficient.

Gere Flewelling

I have a co-worker that has that exact mill set up.  He purchased it used a year ago.  He seems very happy with it. It was his first mill, so he hasn't really had any other to compare with.  I will see him tomorrow, and will see if his opinion has changed after a year.  Up date coming.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

jpassardi

What is the asking price and does it have options such as trailer or bed extension?
I ask because you could upgrade to 20 to 25 HP gas for not a lot of money or work if you're not happy with the small diesel.
You can spend $10K on a new LT15 pretty easily...and have to wait.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

ButchC

I have sold and serviced many L series Yanmars. They are very good engines but there is no way I would want a recoil start Yanmar on anything I wanted to operate in cold weather.  There is a very specific procedure for starting one with the recoil and not following it to the letter will be a very painful experience. You also need to run the recommended oil viscosity for the temperature or it will NOT start. 
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

mudfarmer

Yes I have an LT15 w 10hp ya mar. It has electric start and Woodmizer will sell you the parts. If you try to buy the starter somewhere else you may end up with one that rotates the wrong direction.

It pull starts just fine at 10*F. There is a compression release. Nothing to it. If you can start a big cc chainsaw without compression release you can start a yanmar 10hp below freezing.

Sorry to disagree with most of you, this is just my opinion. It is a sweet motor with enough torque to "fly" through wide cuts in hardwood or softwood if you have power feed. It also burns about a teaspoon of fuel in an hour running flat out on 20" hard maple :D

Negative point: it vibrates really bad compared to something like a v twin gas engine. Most of the cheap screws WM used to assemble the power feed have had the heads shear right off.

barbender

Glad to hear a real world, hands on use report. Like I said, I've never been around this engine. 
Too many irons in the fire

Bruno of NH

The Yarnmar on the big mills look like they vibrate quite some.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Southside

My 55 HP Yanmar does not vibrate at all. Some of the shrouding around the radiator has needed attention, but that was made by a different company and could have been better from day one anyway. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Gere Flewelling

Squarpeg, I spoke with my co-worker this morning about his Woodmizer mill the the 10hp Yanmar diesel.  His mill has the electric start, but has never worked.  He says it starts very easy with the pull start, (to his surprise) and even his elderly father can start it with no problem.  Hopefully this helps you decide what you want to do.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

squarpeg

Thank you all for your comments. This model does have an electric start also. I just saw the pull cord and didn't realize it had both. Thanks again

Thank You Sponsors!