iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

winch options

Started by kentuckymillman, April 21, 2021, 08:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kentuckymillman

I welding up and winch on square tube that will go into the wheel axel tube or on my truck receiver to work logs. So i wanted a heavy duty winch but then realized i cant easily take it on and off without lifting more then 100 lbs each time. So now I'm considering a 5000 lb mile marker maverick5 so its more like 50 lbs. Sound right? The guy building my mill said i would have to remove the winch to saw as it would be in the way. I wonder if i can make it work without having to take it off each time. I'm already thinking this will get old real fast. 

Also what about using a synthetic cable vs steel, will steel be better with less wear and so on around logs?

farmfromkansas

My Cooks MP32 has a winch used to load or turn logs.  They weld a piece of square tubing under the frame, and then have a L shaped frame with the winch on top that is out of the way of the mill head, but works to turn logs.  I bent mine using a 9000 lb winch, and had to straighten it to make it slide in and out, the piece under the mill was fine, but bent the piece on the winch frame.  Could just cut it out and replace it, but I just cut it and re welded it.  Secret to supporting the winch is just park your truck behind the winch and attach a chain to the front or rear bumper.  If you have your mill on a base, just put a post on the winch side and use a chain to connect the winch to the post. Look at Cooks MP32, they are a sponsor. For smaller logs no problem, but I was cutting a huge log that had to be trimmed with a chainsaw to get through the mill.

Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

rojen

Go to HF and get a $40 hand truck.  They're always on sale.  Weld your winch mount to it so you can wheel it to your trailer hitch and only have to insert and hitch pin it.  The hand truck won't have any structural application while winching, it's just a vehicle.  Your hitch mount should be welded directly to your winch plate.  The only time you'll have to lift the winch is when you load into your pickup bed at the end of the day.  Which you can tilt and slide in.     
HM126
MS250
CS7310P
Home-made arches
Polaris Ranger 1000
Chains, ropes, and cable
Wife Power

Tacotodd

Try to never wrap the cable around the log or anything else that it's going to be running to except a scratch block. The cable doesn't need any other possible choice for undue wear an tear. Always use some sort of choker.

Synthetic is lighter and easier to handle, but you must protect it from the sun's damaging UV wrays. Just a winch cover but not covering the fairlead is asking for breaking at the hook attachment area of the synthetic to hook. I've sold & used for myself HARD this type of winching for 2/3 of my life, starting by helping (and learning) with Dad on the do's & don'ts. Please, trust me on this. If you're ever in direct line of steel cable breaking, you can almost guarantee a shotgun of cable coming right back at you. It's not the place to be. Winching can be almost as dangerous as running a chainsaw. If you must be inline while winching. Be in the cab of the vehicle with something between you and the work, even auto glass is safety!

I'm just trying to help, and been there & done that.

Trying harder everyday.

Thank You Sponsors!