iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to ID a circle mill?

Started by StorminN, March 24, 2009, 09:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StorminN

Hi guys,

I went to look at an old circle mill setup today. It belongs to a friend of mine, it had been her Dad's and he passed away this past fall. He was 87 and hadn't run it "in a few years"... I think five or so.

I'm wondering where circle mills are usually marked with their manufacturer name. This one had markings on the main shaft bearings... said something like [EDIT]"National Machinery Co, Vancouver, BC"... any clue?

I was planning on taking pictures, but I got there and took my camera out and realized that it was broken... the whole back screen was shattered.  :( :(  I must have crushed it while I was under a truck the the last time I used it... :(  I'll borrow one and go back soon.

-Norm.

Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Jeff

Look on the end of the carriage frame or cast into the side of the head blocks somewhere.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

StorminN

OK, will do... thanks Jeff...

-Norm.

bandmiller2

Stormy,some have a builders plate,usally the larger manuf.that tend to be proud of their equip.Alot of smaller co.'s copied and even used mill pieces for patterns usally leaving the name off.Best if no name let someone recognise it from pictures.Usally of local manufacture, millmen it the area will know what you have.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

MaddiesDad

Check on the headblocks or the wheels.  Might be a brand name stamped in here.

Ron Wenrich

Different manufacturers had different parts ID, but they always started with a specific letter.  I forget what they were anymore, but I know that Lane, American, Farquahr and Frick all had a different letter on the part.  You can find that part number on a headblock or a dog.  It might be something like "M123".
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

StorminN

OK guys, here are the pics...

Saw shed, looking downhill from uphill

Rotted and burned out log deck

Saw carriage

End of carriage

Setworks

Setworks

Saw works

Saw drive

Saw arbor main bearing: "National Mach Co Ltd Van BC"

Carriage drive drum

Sawblade guide

Sawblade guide

Circle mill power plant... GE 60hp 3phase electric (note measuring tape for scale)

Offbear deck

Electric feed and control panels for circle mill

Carriage headblock lettering: "National Machinery Co Ltd"

Two-bladed edger set perpendicular to offbear

Two-bladed edger

Log deck, from below (looking uphill from sawdust pit)

Circle mill, from below (looking uphill from sawdust pit)

Offbear deck, from below (looking uphill from sawdust pit)

Shaky remains of saw shed, from below (looking uphill from sawdust pit)

Sprucegum

What are ya waitin' for? Turn it on  - it ready to go  8)  8)  8)

Meadows Miller

Gday

Stormin she looks like it would be a good buy at the right price ? Mate the settworks look like they are singe acting tho and no tapers but they are easy things to get around mate   ;)  ;D  But the steel work looks in pretty good shape and its (sorta)portable also  ;D but i reckon it would tidy up into a good sawmill mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

bandmiller2

Ayup,I'd say its a nat. machinery co. mill from our neighbors up north.Thats typical of the way you find mills,in fact that one looks better than most.Stormy you realize you will have to fix it up and use it, your its daddy now.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ron Wenrich

I had an American mill that each headblock could be advanced to set the taper.  It had a whole lot more taper adjustment than other carriages.  I guess it was a pre-linear positioner. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

markd

We dream about finds like that! What a score! Did you ever get it moved and going?
markd

Thank You Sponsors!