iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewYankeeSawmill, aigheadish and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

WV Sawmiller

Jeff,

Neat video. They are one of my favorite birds. We saw a big one on a dead snag our boat outing Sunday morning but it was backlit by the sky and we could not get pictures of it - just a silhouette. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SwampDonkey

He'll have that gone and be looking for more in no time. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Actually the female comes in only once a day (well, as far as I know,) before sunset usually, stays about as long as that video, and is gone. This is the first I've seen the male since snow.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

I'm mad at the blue jays. ;) Fed them all winter, now hiding away all summer. Ungrateful bunch of feed raiders. :D :D

Did see some new geese chicks yesterday waddling along with the goose and gander on a horse ranch near where I was working. There is some ponds there with cattails around them. They have a nest in them, built up high and dry. Well, I guess they don't need that now. Free range Canada geese now. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Nice video. I have them around here. Just don't see them much.  
This one picture took me a while. I was always on the wrong side of the tree. ;D 

This is what I find in the woods.

And under the tree.

I bet I can count on one hand how many times I have seen those wood peckers.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

When the WoodPeckers hit a tree, it's already infested with ants, and that's what they're after!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

I see a few every year. Saw one yesterday fly across the road by 'the long swamp'. One was around here this winter, but not the suet. He was hammering on a dead limb on the big yard maple. Probably some maple borer in that dead wood. Seen one one day clinging to a telephone pole up the road from the house and remained motionless for quite awhile. Don't see many on the woodlot, not a lot of old wood, but they will find a bad fir once in awhile and peck at the stump wood.

terrifictimbersllc

If you see more sawdust then shavings it means his beak is getting dull.😀
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

SwampDonkey

I did see a Baltimore oriole yesterday in the big yard maple. No photo though. Haven't seen one here in a long time. Might have always been here and never laid eyes on them for awhile. :)

thecfarm

I have good luck with grape jelly. We put out oranges and the orioles that we get don't seem to like them.   ::)  So grape  jelly it is. I have 2 feeders because I get so many. No big deal to have 2 feeding and another waiting.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Must be Mediterranean oranges. Pulp, no juice. :D

thecfarm

:D

We use to put out oranges on a nail. They would stay for about 2 weeks and be gone. Than I bought this feeder with a place for an orange and jelly. I guess they like the jelly more,because they hardly touch the oranges. And they stay for the whole summer now.

SwampDonkey

The male bluebird that came earlier this year to the nest box has returned, still no mate with him. He has been singing his heart out for 3 days now. About 4 miles away, friends have a nesting pair that came in the middle of June. We're still hoping a female comes along for our bluebird.

Mooseherder

We have a nesting pair of Eastern Phoebe under the porch eaves.

Video from today.  I can see 4 heads in there.
Eastern Phoebe Nest 06272019 - YouTube

Mid May.

Chuck White

I think Phoebes are the most persistent and prolific birds when it comes to nesting time!

I have one nesting under the eaves on the back of the garage that is in the process of hatching her second batch, being this early, she's likely to go for a third!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

Look who showed up?

Mooseherder

Looks like they're about ready to leave.
Eastern Phoebe June282019 - YouTube

SwampDonkey

Saw a hen turkey yesterday leading 12 chicks down the road by the woodlot. They all flew up into the trees as I drove closer. :)

WV Sawmiller

This a very interesting story about bald eagles raising a hawk chick with their young.
'You don't go and raise your dinner': California eagles defy odds by taking in baby hawk
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Peter Drouin

This past spring I had one or two hummingbirds flying around, now I have a bunch. I have two feeders out for them. Hard to get a pix. 

The pix of the green ones I have some have a black and red chest on them.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WV Sawmiller

Peter,

Thx for the pix. I think those are Ruby Throated Hummingbirds and the males have the red chest. The males are very territorial and will spend all day chasing the other males away from "their" feeder while they will let every hen in the area come feed at it.
Howard Green

Ron Scott

Great pictures!
~Ron

SwampDonkey

Great photos. We have a couple here this summer. I'm not feeding them, but we have a wind chime with a hummingbird theme and those bubble buzzers come to that thing every day. :D

WV Sawmiller

I looked out the LR window this morning and spotted this hawk land on the ground next to a brush pile evidently trying to catch something. I did not see that it had caught anything. Then it flew up on this gate post on the cross fence 20-30 feet away. After a while it flew back up into the holler above the brushpile. My wife ran to get her camera but it was gone before she got her lenses changed.

About an hour later I looked out and spotted this hawk sitting on the brush pile made mostly from a stink tree (Allanthus) that fell and I dragged to this wet area to burn in the future. I called my wife and she came and took a few pictures. On most of them her camera focused on the limb directly in front of the bird. I had not noticed but the first hawk was back on the same fence post about 30 feet away. This one looks much bigger. I don't know if it is a pair or a mother and a child she is teaching to hunt. After they flew off I heard a very vocal chipmunk in the brushpile so I suspect that is what they are after. I think they are red tailed hawks. If we have any expert ornithologists on site who can verify or correct me I would appreciate it.
Howard Green

Roxie

I'm no expert, but the red tailed hawk has white underpants.  It looks like it could be a red shouldered hawk. 

Say when

Thank You Sponsors!