iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS261CM with M-Tronic 3.0

Started by aataqah, June 09, 2020, 02:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aataqah

Hi,

I am currently in the market for a new Stihl MS261 CM (had a Husqvarna 550XP, sold it). I almost pulled the trigger, but based on my experience with the 550xp where 2 months could have made the difference between the old and the new version with improved cooling, I decided to do a random google search for "MS261CM 2020 update". Well, I found this youtube video promoting an update version of the MS261CM (video is german from Stihl, here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pItn_xvhI-s).

I don't understand german, but I noticed a redesigned top cover:

I also noticed a new chain and bar with a "grafitti" design.

Google only finds one single news about a 2020 update to the MS261CM, called gen3:

QuoteThe third generation of the STIHL MS 261 C-M gasoline chainsaw will be available at the beginning of 2020.
The saw offers 20 percent more cutting capacity at a reduced weight. STIHL achieved this by shaving weight from the cylinder and slimming down the sprocket cover and bumper spikes.
The 261 received a comprehensive makeover with an optimized engine as well as a new cutting attachment.
According to STIHL the saw has an extra 0.1 kW engine performance making it the best power to weight ratio in its displacement class.
Source: http://dripline.net/third-generation-stihl-ms-261-c-m-available-in-q1-of-2020/

I'm thinking if I should wait a bit for the newer version. Anyone has any more reliable info about the updated version?

Greenerpastures

Interesting indeed. The version 2 has only been in my
local about 9 months, it will take years for the v3 to make it here.

Maybe it's fuel injected, I see no reason to update the model to
v3 just to bring us 0.1kw increase in power, as a newer model
usually costs more and drives down the price of the previous
model, this could only hurt profits, there must be more to this.

realzed

That light bar goes along with the new RS Pro chain that Willard had posted about and added actual Stihl part numbers on in a pictured post probably more than 6 months ago on this site.
It was expected that chain would be included on all new 261CM models out in 2020 or at least this Spring to improve the speed and cutting and the bar has been advertised for at least that long as well - with both enabling a lighter and faster cutting tool for 50cc class users.
As for the knob on the cover - it's anyone's guess..  Unless its a FI version- and while a FI model no doubt would require a primer bulb, I doubt one that obtrusive would be at all practical or in fact even placed there.
All in all, very small incremental improvements in horsepower and weight - but when you get this small, light, and relatively powerful for the size, I guess any gain is something you should brag about!
Link to Willard's post regarding RS Pro chain and light bars for Stihl saws here:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=107216.0

barbender

I have Ms261cm, 2-3 years old. Idk what version it is, but it's been a great saw. 95° and humid or -25°, it just runs🤷‍♂️
Too many irons in the fire

gspren

Would the knob be to remove cover to get to the air filter, as in the orange and white come off together?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

realzed

The orange top cover still has the quarter-turn locking bolts to secure it on - so I doubt the gizmo shown would have anything to do with taking off the cover to get at the air filter..  Maybe it's just a dummy thing on there to distract the competition - sort of like the camouflage they use to try and disguise new car test driving models.. :D 

Reddtigger

I Just recently got the bar for the 3/8 picco chain. They had to special make the chain, as Stihl doesn't make the rs chain in 60DL.

I am planning on getting another 261CM in the near future. So this makes me wonder if they will even offer the new version in the US.

Tacotodd

Myself, I don't speak any language other than English and it's no fault of anyone but me. That said, I would like to be able to understand exactly what Stihl is saying there. You've got to admit, it's very interesting no matter how you look at it. Do any of you guys speak German? I am limited to very few WWII era phrases that I've had passed down to me, so I can make out MAYBE 1/2 of 1% of all being said on this. Can the OP shed more light on this? After all 1 post, then gone, really. LOTS of speculation.
Trying harder everyday.

aataqah

I also don't understand completely German, but I understood about 30% from the video. It's mainly just marketing talk.

I did however found some new info about the 2020 update on the Stihl UK site:

QuoteThe STIHL MS 261 C-M petrol chainsaw is the perfect tool for small to medium tree maintenance work. This new version for 2020 is features a newly designed Light 04 guide bar as well as the new .325" RS Pro saw chain for improved cutting performance. The high performance .325" saw chain provides up to 20% more cutting performance compared to its predecessor (.325" RS) due to the narrower kerf. This light and well-balanced saw delivers plenty of power, whilst the M-Tronic technology controls the fuel and air mix at all times so the machine is always at optimum performance.The STIHL anti-vibration system significantly reduces vibrations at the handles for comfortable use of this petrol chainsaw throughout your working day.

The MS 261 C-M is a versatile, professional petrol chainsaw allowing you to run a selection of different bar lengths to suit your needs. It also includes useful features such as the easy-clean HD2 filter, adjustable oil delivery to the bar and chain, stainless steel muffler and captive nuts on the sprocket cover. The 2-MIX technology in the MS 261 C-M petrol chainsaw ensures up to 20% less fuel consumption and up to 50% less emissions compared to the equivalent STIHL two-stroke engines without 2-MIX technology.
Source: Stihl UK website

They mention the new bar, but nothing else. Also, on the images the topcover does not have the knob, so maybe it really really is a decoy.

aataqah

Ok, so I was just at both my local dealers (both are 10 minutes from me, but in opposite direction). One is a Husqvarna/Stihl dealers, the other is only for Stihl. Neither knew anything about the new model. They had the MS261C in stock that was made in 02.2020, but they had the regular saw blade and no M3.0 markings on the label indicating that the M-tronic is version 3.

But the Stihl dealer recommend the MS261C, there are no problems, and also that the 0,325 1,6mm bar&chain is better then the supposedly new 0,325 1,3mm bar&chain simply because it does not have to be tensioned so often. True that is cust a bit slower, but the benefit of not streching is, by his opinion, better.

So I think I'm just going to get the MS261C they have in stock in be done with overthinkg this. But if somebody else finds out about the 2020 update, I'd still love to know what's new.

Tacotodd

Find the post that we are referring to from @HolmenTree about the narrow kerf and high performance chain from Stihl in .325. See if you can compare the witness marks for the filing, the ones that also supposed to tell you when the chain has given you all of the life that you are going to have from it. Since I have NOT been privileged enough to see any of this, I can only guess that it might be the way I'm describing. Every time I am in my Stihl dealer, I forget to even ask about this. Good luck with your research.

Todd 
Trying harder everyday.

realzed

I attached a link to Willard's post from last December to my comment #2 in this thread.. 
In that post he describes and shows the chains and bar options available and posts part numbers for all choices of chain and bar options for the new bits..

Reddtigger

I was at my local dealer and looking at the saws and they have 3.0 on the label.
they also looked up the parts based on the serial number of the saw and it has the newer solenoid (white) That all the other m3.0 saws have.
However no mention of weight reduction or power increase and no different bar and chain. 
They did put in a call to Stihl Technical to find out for sure if the new saw is actually a 2020 update. will check back in a week or two when I go and hopefully purchase another one.

Hilltop366

To get a better idea what he is saying you can click on the "cc" button on the video to turn on close caption then the "cog wheel button" to the right of it and chose the auto translate to your desired language. If the person speaks clearly it usually does a ok job of translating.

OddInTheForrest

The gen 3.0 M-Tronic is "just" a upgraded M-Tronic module. 

The big sellingpoint on the 261 model now is the "new" Light 04 bar and chain. Narrower kerf and a different sprocket (3/8?)

The orange thing marked on the picture earlier in this post is a Stihl Connect Bluetooth device. Can be used to log runninghours and other data.

Best regards
Odd H.

teakwood

i speak german

he doesn't say much about the saw, just that its the new 3.0 M tronic version.

after that he speaks just about the new and improved light bar 04, still .325"  but smaller cutting width and smaller grove in the bar, 1.3mm, 20% increased cutting speed,  smaller bar tip radius so less kickback and better boring ability
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Ewol

Quote from: aataqah on June 09, 2020, 02:20:24 PM
I don't understand german, but I noticed a redesigned top cover:

It looks like the Stihl Smart Connector  8)

STIHL Connected | Smart Connector | STIHL GB - YouTube

SkeeterKev

I have used the RSpro chain for sometime now.
I have nothing but good things to say about it.  I am sure there new bar is going to be one of the best available.
If I was in the market for a new lightweight saw this saw would be my pick.
Kevin

mitchstockdale

Does anybody have an actual weight of their ms261c-m...loaded with fuel and a 20" bar?  Currently running an older MS361 with 20" bar and its about 17lb 4oz, looking to get something a bit lighter.  I have been using my backup lately an MS170 which comes in at about 11lb 10oz which is comfortable and manageable in deep snow... just want more power.   Thanks 

Tdog47304

I just picked up a new ms261c last week at the dealer.  I'll check the weight full of fuel and oil and report back tomorrow.  The saw is great and the power and torque is just as everyone has described.  I was expecting a bit lighter of a saw the way people were saying that it's one of the lightest 50cc saws in it's class.  It seemed to me much closer to the 362 than anything smaller.  Not a real complaint - just a misconception on my end.
Thanks all.
Live, Laugh, Love....do all these things and you will live well.

MrRastos

I know this is a bit old, but I bought a 261 last year. First and last Stihl I'll ever own. Yes it's light and starts pretty easy. That's the only good thing I have to say about it. 

It throws chains continually since day one no matter how often I tinker with the slack adjustment which is usually after every tank. The flippy caps are a prime example of complex German engineering for a simple problem. I don't even like how it handles. 

Meanwhile my trusty 562xp works awesome. Best saw I ever had. I'm selling the 261 to some unfortunate person and buying a 550xpg. I like Stihl for homeowner stuff like weed eaters and leaf blowers. I like the lithium battery saw I have as well. As for serious forestry tools I'll be sticking with Husky.
LT50G38 Wide, Hakki 1x37 easy, 1994 Kubota M8030, Farma 5.3- T8, Timberjack 225D, Kubota KX080-4 with Arbro 400 stroke head, IH 444 diesel, IH 434 gas, Volvo clunker dump truck, 2003 F550, 562 Husky, 555 Husky, 272 Husky. 261cm arctic Stihl.

beenthere

Sorry that you had such bad experience with the 261. 

I couldn't be happier or more impressed with mine. Good starter, no chain problem at all, and have never had a problem with the caps. Each have their own experiences. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Silhouette

I bought a 550 xpg mk2 a few months ago whereas a friend of mine bought a 261 cm vw around the same time. We've swapped saws a bit and I think the differences are small and comes down to personal preference. We're both happy with the saws that we bought.

barbender

MrRastos, does your 562 not have flippy caps as well? I like the caps on my 261. I sure don't understand what would cause your saw to throw the chain all the time. If you have proper tension on it, a bad drive sprocket, or a bad bar nose sprocket?
Too many irons in the fire

MrRastos

The 562 tabs on the caps flip up, but otherwise they screw in like any regular cap. Stihl decided to make an interlocking mechanism that must be aligned properly. Otherwise you think its shut until you lose a tank of oil on the ground and your pants.

I've changed sprockets. I'm not a pro logger by any means but I know how to tighten a chain properly. I've changed bars.

Mine is junk. As was said, others experiences may vary. These saws seem to be developing a sort of cult following on th net where everyone thinks they're awesome. I'm just saying that isn't always so. A neighbour down the road can't keep his chain on either. Another guy I talked to was bragging his up. I asked him how he liked the caps. He started swearing and going on about how many times he dumped oil and gas all over the place. I just chuckled and carried on.

To each his own. I always was a Husky guy for a reason I guess. I did miss out on the early years of AutoTune though. Dodged a bullet there. I never said they were perfect, just better. Lol
LT50G38 Wide, Hakki 1x37 easy, 1994 Kubota M8030, Farma 5.3- T8, Timberjack 225D, Kubota KX080-4 with Arbro 400 stroke head, IH 444 diesel, IH 434 gas, Volvo clunker dump truck, 2003 F550, 562 Husky, 555 Husky, 272 Husky. 261cm arctic Stihl.

Thank You Sponsors!