iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinking about a new saw...

Started by Maine logger88, February 21, 2021, 10:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine logger88

I'm thinking about purchasing a new saw not sure why cause I have 2 decent running 2172s and a decent running 461. I don't really use chainsaws much anymore but I like keeping 2 good saws in my pickup for when I need to do some trimming or cut an occasional big tree that my buncher can handle. I'm not sure which one to get 372 572 or 462? 500i is out because I'm not spending that much on a saw lol. I'm leaning towards 372 for reliability and the fact that it's a sturdy saw but would be willing to try one of the other two
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Southside

Well Husky has discontinued and brought back the 372 what 3 times now?  Says something about demand and how they feel about it.  I know how I feel about the ones I have.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Maine logger88

Yes it's hard to beat a 372 it's probably one of the best saws ever made or ever will be made

Firewoodjoe

I keep buying them for two reasons. There good and I have a pile of parts saws. But if I have to switch from the 372 it will be a Stihl. Dealer is in town and I like the feel of the 462. I'd have one now but $300 more irritates me. 

Patrick NC

The 372 is a great saw. I had a Stihl 441 that got stolen and I bought a new 372xp xtorq to replace it. In my opinion the husky is twice the saw. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

ehp

I really like the last 462 arctic I bought last month . They run very well. There is no 372s unless the dealer has them on the shelf here . The 572 is a good saw to but the 462 is lighter . Unless your cutting bigger hardwood the 500i is not going to help you much . It has good torque but you need to use that torque to make the saw worthy of the extra cost 

barbender

Some of these guys run more saw in a day than I do in a year, so bear that in mind. That said, I bought a Husky 562 last fall on a bit of a whim, and it has quickly became my favorite. It is really light and compact, has as much power as my Jred 2171 as far as I can tell, and it revs really fast. Maybe I'll hate it in 2 years if I have trouble with it, but we're in love right now😁
Too many irons in the fire

Real1shepherd

If you know where to look and who to talk to(that's all I'm going to say) there are new 372's, non-EPA out there.

Kevin

Dave Shepard

I tried a 462 last week. Was really impressed, until I had to fuel it. I'd have to have someone 3d print some Husky gas cap adapters if I was going to own one. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Maine logger88

Quote from: barbender on February 21, 2021, 08:38:08 PM
Some of these guys run more saw in a day than I do in a year, so bear that in mind. That said, I bought a Husky 562 last fall on a bit of a whim, and it has quickly became my favorite. It is really light and compact, has as much power as my Jred 2171 as far as I can tell, and it revs really fast. Maybe I'll hate it in 2 years if I have trouble with it, but we're in love right now😁
Back in 2012 I think I bought a 562 to replace my 3 year old 2171 and I loved it but it only lasted a year bought another one and crushed it shortly after lol and then a third one that I bought that blew up after about 3 weeks was fixed under warranty but was never right after that i took it back to the dealership 4 or 5 times and they could never get it to run right so I got mad sold it to my cousin for 100 bucks and bought a couple new 2172s which I still have. I don't hand cut much anymore so I don't wear out saws ever couple years like I used to but mine are getting up in age and I like having a newer saw. Just trying to decide what route to go when I get one. Ehp you say the 572 is a good saw but heavier would you say it's a sturdier saw than the 462 or is the 462 just as tough. Weight doesn't really matter that much to me but toughness and reliability does. 

Skeans1

What do you have bars already are you running Stihl mount with adapters or husky mount bars? Myself I've never cared for the 372's or the 44 sized saws they weren't light enough to justify running them unless they were hopped up. The 462 is nice for the weight but personally the AV is too light for even heavy daily work. I own and love my a 500i but they do have some issues the AV is on the light side as well as the air filter is a normal Stihl filter with a lot to be desired. All that said my picks for running daily are a 390xpw or a 500i.

ehp

572 is built heavier to me and if your hard of stuff its the saw to buy , power is very close between the 572 and the 462 , the autotune on the 572 is alot better than the older 562 to, I had 2 of the 572s and they never missed a beat 

Maine logger88

Skeans I have a few stihl bars for my 461 but most of my bars are husky. I have a 395 that I use if I'm cutting real big stuff but I don't use it as much as I should cause I don't haul it around with me. Ehp I probably am a little rougher on my saws than some probably. Thanks for the info guys gives me something to think about before I buy something 

ehp

And here the 572 is quite abit cheaper than a 462 . Like $300 cheaper 

Stoneyacrefarm

I just bought a 572 and a 562. 
Both great saws. 
The 572 is a little heavier and has a lot more power. 
I got it with a 20" bar for 850 from my dealer. 
Quite happy with the price and the saw. 
Work hard. Be rewarded.

barbender

A shop out of Wisconsin does all the bigger logging shows, and they have smoking deals on Stihl and Husky saws (20% off) I think I paid $5xx (can't remember exactly) for that 562 new. I was thinking I should try to buy a new saw every year there, dang it now I need a 572😊

celliott

I vote 572. Very happy with mine, I rarely grab my 372 or 2171 anymore. I got the G model too.
It is a rugged built saw I think. They put 395xp size crank bearings in it. Very well balanced saw.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Woodfarmer

Anyone who doesn't want their 2171 anymore, can send it my way.

Stoneyacrefarm

Quote from: barbender on February 22, 2021, 02:21:43 PM
A shop out of Wisconsin does all the bigger logging shows, and they have smoking deals on Stihl and Husky saws (20% off) I think I paid $5xx (can't remember exactly) for that 562 new. I was thinking I should try to buy a new saw every year there, dang it now I need a 572😊
It's a terrible addiction bartender. 
I did it the opposite of you. 
Bought the 572 first. 
Then the 562.  8) :D :D
It never ends. 
Work hard. Be rewarded.

barbender

Trust me, on the scale of bad habits/addictions and hobbies I've had, chainsaws are one of the more useful and least expensive😁 I remember going to the bar and dropping the price of a saw in a night of tomfoolery👎👎

Southside

How much did you have to drop to not remember the night?  ;D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Skeans1

The 372 was almost empty, the 562 was full, the 500i was full, the 390 was empty all saws are in west coast trim with 500i has pro safety 5 point dawgs.

Outlaw

Quote from: barbender on February 22, 2021, 02:21:43 PM
Barbender I need to go shopping the same place you do. I picked up a 562 for a friend that ran his over with a dozer through a work account, thought I did good at just shy of $700.
TK 1600, old logging equipment,  sthil chainsaws

ehp

Husky just had up to $200 per saw off the price here 

ehp

Your not going to find much of a deal on stihl here cause they can sell every saw pretty much as fast as it gets to the store

gman98

I'm in the same boat as you, occasional pro user.  I ran husky 562's and 372's in the past when I was hand cutting.  Now the only time I use a saw is trimming and occasional bucking if there's no slasher around.  And of course firewood.  Lately I've started trying the echos.  I may get crucified for saying this, but I am impressed with them.  I've got a 590 at the moment and would like to get a 620 this spring.  The big seller for me is the price tag.  A 500 dollar saw getting lifted out of the pickup doesn't hurt as bad as a 800 dollar saw.
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

Southside

It does if you leave it hooked to a capacitor... just saying..  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Firewoodjoe

Well the saw situation is getting more serious here. Big dealer to. Usually 100s in stock. Sold out of everything but 572 and 562s. I called my other place and they are shipping three 372s to me. I may have to go to stihl if husky don't get it together. 

Andries

I stopped in at my Stihl saw shop today.
Andreas said that 261's are four months out, at a minimum.
High demand for wood = high demand for mills = high demand for saws.
It's the same every where.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: Andries on March 01, 2021, 06:27:56 PM
I stopped in at my Stihl saw shop today.
Andreas said that 261's are four months out, at a minimum.
High demand for wood = high demand for mills = high demand for saws.
It's the same every where.
It has nothing to do with high demand for wood. This is logging country. That's why we have such big dealers. The still dealer has lots. All sizes. And it's only the non computer saws. They had 5 shelves of 572s and 562s. 

ehp

No its they cannot build the circuit boards for the autotine or Mtronic saws right now , just like GMC or Ford which cannot build cars or trucks cause no chips for the circuit boards , here on the TV they are showing no new dishwashers, fridge stove washers or dryers are coming cause no chips 

Firewoodjoe

Why are the old versions sold out? No circuit board in 372 390 or 395. They have lots of computer saws on the shelf.  Either way. I guess it don't matter. Just frustrating. 

ehp

they had to stop making the old saws cause of the EPA , its going to get alot worse before it gets better . I know of 1  572 and 1   395 up here 

Firewoodjoe

Gosh last time I talk to my dealer they said no epa info on the bigger saws. Only the 372/572. I think they have a boat load of electronic saws and are thrying to get them sold. I'm not kidding they had prolly 30-562s on display! Prolly 10 or better 572s on display. The stihl dealer had lots. And was waiting for more 500i's and was supposed to get a 462 I could demo. I'll be glad when things are normal again. Heck normal'ish would be good. 

Thank You Sponsors!